Author Topic: Rumored new 4 way joystick rule for all Nintendo cabs  (Read 16394 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Rumored new 4 way joystick rule for all Nintendo cabs
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:44:48 am »
OK, I saw on Ben Falls stream someone mention that Ritchie now wants all Nintendo cabs to be 4 way.  I mean really?  Please explain to me how this makes any sense at all?  For instance, I can't think of one single reason you would have this rule for Donkey Kong 3.  I mean you can't steer anything in that game, and you don't go up any ladders as well.  It doesn't effect fame play in any way, shape, or form for that game.   In fact the only thing it does is screw you over.

I also have a strong knowledge of Donkey Kong Junior as well.  In 3 out of the 4 boards there is no help with an 8 way.  Hideout, Springboard, and Chains.  The only part of the game where it might help is the Jungle stage, and that's where you are climbing the ropes, and I think you would have the ability to steer some of the blue snappers while climbing.  So if they went, and outlawed the 8 way on that I would begrudgingly accept it.  By the way, my 1.23 million game was apparently on one of those 8 ways that plays 4 way in disguise joysticks.

I never went through with submitting that game because of the $60 fee they wanted to charge me.  Just cost too much, and being in my situation you wouldn't submit either.  But after this new rule, there is no way I would submit now.  What's the point when they would reject the score anyways?  By the way I had no clue that it was an 8 way while playing it.

Mario Bros. I have limited knowledge on but again I don't see anything that can be steered on that game, and I don't think there are any ladders as well.

Popeye may help, I am not too sure.  I do know you climb things.

Still again, I don't see the purpose of making this rule mandatory on all Nintendo games.  On Donkey Kong 3 it really has no effect on anything.  I am pretty sure this is a true statement.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Svavar

• Awards
Re: Rumored new 4 way joystick rule for all Nintendo cabs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:20:24 am »
Why not find out for sure before spreading rumors?
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:25:23 am »
I belive most Nintendo cab Joysticks are 4 way joysticks.

I played an 8 Way joystick at the NW Pinball Arcade show and got over 200k on Donkey Kong ..  Person asked me how did I get that score with a 8 way Joystick

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:53:30 am »
Why not find out for sure before spreading rumors?

Because maybe it's good to have a discussion about this anyways, even if the rumor is not true? 

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:53 am »
I cannot speak for TG, but I could think of several reasons why this makes sense:

1- They want to create uniform rules for all arcade games.  If they require a 4-way for DK, then why not require a 4-way for all Nintendo games.  In fact, I wonder what Nintendo arcade games are 8-way?  There must be some as 8-way restrictor plates exist.

2- The effect of 4-way vs 8-way joysticks is not known for most games.  In fact, until recently it wasn't really known for sure on DK.  It would be much easier to enforce a 4-way policy, than to go game by game and figure out which games it matters and which games it doesn't matter.

3- There is something to be said about playing the game the way it was originally intended to be played with the original controls.  Everyone agrees: controls matter.  If you are going to compare your scores with 80's score then you should be playing under the same conditions.

lakeman421

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:19:40 am »
OK, I saw on Ben Falls stream someone mention that Ritchie now wants all Nintendo cabs to be 4 way.  I mean really?  Please explain to me how this makes any sense at all?  For instance, I can't think of one single reason you would have this rule for Donkey Kong 3.  I mean you can't steer anything in that game, and you don't go up any ladders as well.  It doesn't effect fame play in any way, shape, or form for that game.   In fact the only thing it does is screw you over.

I also have a strong knowledge of Donkey Kong Junior as well.  In 3 out of the 4 boards there is no help with an 8 way.  Hideout, Springboard, and Chains.  The only part of the game where it might help is the Jungle stage, and that's where you are climbing the ropes, and I think you would have the ability to steer some of the blue snappers while climbing.  So if they went, and outlawed the 8 way on that I would begrudgingly accept it.  By the way, my 1.23 million game was apparently on one of those 8 ways that plays 4 way in disguise joysticks.

I never went through with submitting that game because of the $60 fee they wanted to charge me.  Just cost too much, and being in my situation you wouldn't submit either.  But after this new rule, there is no way I would submit now.  What's the point when they would reject the score anyways?  By the way I had no clue that it was an 8 way while playing it.

Mario Bros. I have limited knowledge on but again I don't see anything that can be steered on that game, and I don't think there are any ladders as well.

Popeye may help, I am not too sure.  I do know you climb things.

Still again, I don't see the purpose of making this rule mandatory on all Nintendo games.  On Donkey Kong 3 it really has no effect on anything.  I am pretty sure this is a true statement.

After I left Eric's, Richie called me and asked me why Eric didn't have the right joystick.  I explained it to him what happened and even your DK JR game using that joystick. He said that score wouldn't be accepted, because all Nintendo cabs need original Nintendo joysticks for verified scores.  So I heard it directly from him.  Ken told us George's score would be accepted, because that rule only applies to DK.  So there may be grey areas in these rules, but since I don't see anything about it in the rules on TG, then I would say Ken is right in this situation unless I missed something.

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:32:03 am »
In fact, I wonder what Nintendo arcade games are 8-way?

Non of the classic games (DK series, Popeye and Mario) Mario is 2-way btw. However, the cabs Nintendo used for their V.S series (Super Mario etc) are the same as the classic ones and some of them are 8 way. Maybe a long shot but I guess that some of the v.s cabs are converted back since the demand for DK and other Nintendo classics are much higher than the crappy 8-bit games. And the 8way restrictor remains.

Also, playing DK and j.r with a 8-way is only an disadvantage. At least for semi-pros like myself. Always miss here and then when pressing up and it registers right instead. Or all other inputs.. One millisecond wrong and you are screwed.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:19:56 am by dimmu--borgir »
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:27:10 am »

After I left Eric's, Richie called me and asked me why Eric didn't have the right joystick.  I explained it to him what happened and even your DK JR game using that joystick. He said that score wouldn't be accepted.

Well, I am super thankful I never paid for that score to be submitted, and so this becomes a moot point anyways.  Could you imagine if I had.  It would have been the ultimate screw job.

1) I submit it under the old rules where it's free of charge.
2) I submit it under the old rules where 8 way joysticks ARE ALLOWED.
3) They change the rules after the fact, and try to CHARGE ME.
4) They change the rules after the fact, and reject my score (Again, thank goodness I did not pay that $60 submission fee).
If that isn't a screw job, than I don't know what is!

You know I could do a Roy Schildt/Tim Scerby/any other complainer, and howl at the moon about how it's not fair, and spend months, and years complaining about how they screwed me over.   Well I am not that way, and here is the truth.

1) I have a much higher score on MAME of 1,308,000.  I don't care if most people respect Arcade over MAME.  The fact is I don't.  The higher score is more important in my book.  Also I got the 1,308,000 score printed in the Guinness book of World Records Gamer's Edition.  My 1.23 Million score would never get that amount awareness anyways.
2) The current TG Staff may not want to accept my score, but anyone with a bit of common sense knows I got 1,230,000 legitimately.
3) The most important aspect about the 1,230,000 score is the fact I got 1,168,300 on my first man.
4) I have the video up on Youtube of me getting to 1,168,300 on my first man.  It's more than just a score, it's a 3 hour and 7 minute video.  More people have an appreciation by watching it on Youtube than watching some score on Twin Galaxies.
5) And this is the most important one.  I know that I can get a much higher score on Arcade.  And so why should I care when I can do it again if I so want.

Here is the thing that the boys at TG need to understand.  They need my 1,230,000 score more than I need my 1,230,000 score on their site.  So they have rejected it.  So fine, all that does is make their Donkey Kong Junior Arcade score list a tad bit less respectable.  You see the more high level scores TG gets, the more respect the site gets for being the place for high level respectable scores.  If they want to play these funky games, than that's up to them, but in the end it only hurts them more.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Simpsons99

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 08:02:24 pm »
In fact, I wonder what Nintendo arcade games are 8-way?

Non of the classic games (DK series, Popeye and Mario) Mario is 2-way btw. However, the cabs Nintendo used for their V.S series (Super Mario etc) are the same as the classic ones and some of them are 8 way. Maybe a long shot but I guess that some of the v.s cabs are converted back since the demand for DK and other Nintendo classics are much higher than the crappy 8-bit games. And the 8way restrictor remains.

Also, playing DK and j.r with a 8-way is only an disadvantage. At least for semi-pros like myself. Always miss here and then when pressing up and it registers right instead. Or all other inputs.. One millisecond wrong and you are screwed.

Really is this a joke?  DK Is a 4 way joystick game in the first place .
Up down left right?

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 08:44:44 pm »
I dont know why all this is even a discussion. DK JR did NOT come with an 8 way stick, it came with a 4 way. They are tracking DK JR not DK JR modified later to be who know what who knows how.

On a personal level I know it is actually harder on most of these games to use an 8 way over a 4 way. That does NOT mean I think the rules should allow 8 ways. I do think that any mechanically limited 4 way should and would be accepted but I also dont knwo why anyone in the world would not want the much better feeling nintendo stick in their cabinet anyway.

Stop complaining about rules for fuck sake. Just enjoy the games, find a way to follow them, they are not that hard to follow and in almost every case you will be better off for it.

-Ken
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:41:46 pm »
I think that these rules about 4-way joysticks for Nintendo cabs aren't new or rumored, they were already implied into the rules.  Richie just brought it up to me when I talked to him on the phone.  Obviously, if I knew I was playing on an 8-way I would have not played until it got switched out with the correct 4-way.  Having to get that score again sucked balls.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 10:28:03 pm »
... especially since you didn't end up even needing to get it the second time!

Or the first, for that matter. ;D

marky_discord
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:21 am »
Really is this a joke?  DK Is a 4 way joystick game in the first place .
Up down left right?

DK JR did NOT come with an 8 way stick, it came with a 4 way.

Am I so bad at writing English or do I totally miss something here?

The original question:

In fact, I wonder what Nintendo arcade games are 8-way?"

My answer:

Non of the classic games (DK series, Popeye and Mario)

= All of the above are 4-ways.

Or did you mean something else?

DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:16 am »
I don't expect anyone to recognize the game, but Sky Skipper (1981) is an 8-way.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 12:48:49 am »
Yes. Correct. But it never came in those red, blue, orange cabs we all love and care for?.. ;)
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15