Author Topic: The first Kong Off where Wiebe, and Mitchell are underdogs.  (Read 3615 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
The first Kong Off where Wiebe, and Mitchell are underdogs.
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »
Based on how many people are now top notch players, and based on the fact that neither Steve Wiebe, and Billy Mitchell are any better I have come to the conclusion that they are heading into this years Kong Off as the underdogs.   The previous two Kong Offs there were people predicting that at least one of these two would win it all.  I don't think that is the case now.  Anyone knowledgeable about the current state of Donkey Kong players knows that a new level has been achieved, and Billy, and Steve are not on that level anymore.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Simpsons99

Re: The first Kong Off where Wiebe, and Mitchell are underdogs.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:48:09 pm »
from my understanding Billy Hardly plays during the Kong Off's     Never see any scores from him during the event. In tell maybe the last day?

lakeman421

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:29 pm »
from my understanding Billy Hardly plays during the Kong Off's     Never see any scores from him during the event. In tell maybe the last day?

Billy just likes being around when someone is close to a kill screen and likes entertaining the crowd.  He probably didn't post until Sunday so he could end the weekend with a dramatic finish.  Steve was third last year with two scores over a million and one just under a million.  He likes to go for kill screens more than challenging someone who just score 1.079 and 1.1 for the sake of entertaining the crowd, but still did really well.

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 01:23:22 am »
Doesn't Steve Wiebe has the most experience playing in public? Something to always count for. If I would have been on the kong off for the first time with a +1mill score in my back I would have failed so UTTERLY on the competition from a nervous breakdown.
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

hchien

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:23 am »
Doesn't Steve Wiebe has the most experience playing in public?

Yes.  Wiebe definitely has the advantage in terms of experience and consistency.  However, he always plays at the same pace in live settings-- 990K-1.02M and he always gets it.  While that could have won KO1... the standard has risen over the years.  The minimum that I could see winning KO3 is 1.05M.  And in fact I'm willing to bet it will be closer to 1.1M or even higher.  It is possible/likely that Wiebe will place, but unless he changes his live game plan, it's unlikely he will win.  Also the experience advantage was big at KO1, but many of us have now played in 2 KO's and multiple live settings (although nothing beats G4 live national TV).  I would say experience is a very small factor this time around.

Offline dimmu--borgir

• Swedish DK series champ :-)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:54 am »
Yes. I was going to add that the most of you have played live but didn't.

Playing home - streaming - kongoff - G4 - ?

Thats the road to victory!  ;)
DK 868100 KS Hell ya!
DK j.r  689300 KS
DK j.r 871500 lvl C
DK3 1498900
CK 391400 Lvl 15
Member for 10 Years DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:58:37 am »
Yes. I was going to add that the most of you have played live but didn't.

Playing home - streaming - kongoff - G4 - ?

Thats the road to victory!  ;)
Yes I have played live DKJR KS !

Yes I know what your saying Vincent aka gf's name again!  It's a completely different thing playing Live in front of Many people..