Author Topic: Is Donkey Kong 3 the Halloween 3 of video games?  (Read 3991 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Is Donkey Kong 3 the Halloween 3 of video games?
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:59:29 am »
The thought occurred to me.  Halloween 3 has a lot of similarities to Donkey Kong 3.  First off, both are the third installment of a popular series or genre.  Second off, like Donkey Kong 3, Halloween 3 decides to break tradition, and cut out a main character.  For Donkey Kong 3 they eliminate Mario, and for Halloween 3 they take out Michael Myers.  Third off, both editions get criticism for departing drastically from the first two in almost every possible way imaginable.  4th off, people have said that if they had different names, that they would have done much better.  5th) Both have their own small cult following of people who actually like the fact that they are nothing like their predecessors.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Is Donkey Kong 3 the Halloween 3 of video games?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:47:41 am »
I think all of what you said is accurate.  I enjoy Halloween 3 very much actually.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Is Donkey Kong 3 the Halloween 3 of video games?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »
Watched Halloween 3 last night and I remembered this thread...great comparison. If they were both stand-alones, they would be much more appreciated.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer