Author Topic: DK Manuals Question  (Read 5485 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
DK Manuals Question
« on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »
We are nearing the completion of our manual, and it is time to test the waters to see how many people we should expect to want one of our manuals. Unfortunately, printing these manuals will cost a considerable amount of money upfront, and we aren't made of gold! :D So we need to try to make sure we don't order too many. However, the more we order, the better price per individual copy we can get to print them, and the cheaper we can sell them at the KO3. :) One of the biggest issues is the fact that printing in color is much more expensive than printing primarily in black and white. :(

Please ask any questions you may have about this manual that might determine your vote. Also, feel free to note whether or not one of the options would cause you to not want to buy a manual. We may make a couple other polls in the near future asking for further opinions, so keep your eyes out.

EDIT: We are trying our best to have the manual finished by Monday afternoon/evening (10/28), so if you want to refrain from voting until then, we will likely be posting the PDF version for free, so you can get a better feel for what it'll be like in the physical form. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:21:33 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
Re: DK Manuals Question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:22:59 am »
How many pages long is the manual?

What size will it be when printed?

What does the cover look like?

Is it going to be bound into a book by a printing service, or is it just going to be printed by a place like Fedex Kinkos?

If it's a book, hardcover or softcover?

I feel like you're asking about how much we want to spend without knowing anything about what we're buying.  I can't speak for everyone, but personally, I'd want to spend about $20 on something like this.  That's what I spent on Steve Sanders' Video Master's Guide to Donkey Kong.
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

V3rby

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:45 am »
Will it be able to get shipped overseas to germany?

And will there be some sort of preview? 1 or 2 preview pages or so?

If so i'd be in for a copy, i think ;)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 07:02:16 am »

Hey Shaun,

A few of your questions have already been answered, or will be once the PDF is available (see below):

Quote from: the poll question
For those that would like to seriously consider buying about a 50 page, both-sided DK beginners manual at the KO3, what option most appeals to you?:

EDIT: We are trying our best to have the manual finished by Monday afternoon/evening (10/28), so if you want to refrain from voting until then, we will likely be posting the PDF version for free, so you can get a better feel for what it'll be like in the physical form. Thanks!

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:12 am »

It will be about 60 pages double sided, give or take maybe 5 pages.

It will be on 8.5 inch by 11 inch paper.

For this edition, the cover will be a clear sheet that one can see through to the first page, which will have the title, authors, and a classic picture of DK faded in the background.

Is it going to be bound into a book by a printing service, or is it just going to be printed by a place like Fedex Kinkos?

This edition being sold at the KO3 will be spiral bound, 3 hole punched (in case you want to put it in a binder for protection) with a clear sheet cover and a black vinyl back. We are pretty certain that we will be having it printed by the Fedex about 5 blocks away from the 1up. This will save us on shipping as well as possibly offer us an opportunity to quickly order more if it looks like more people than expected want to purchase the manual.

I feel like you're asking about how much we want to spend without knowing anything about what we're buying.  I can't speak for everyone, but personally, I'd want to spend about $20 on something like this.  That's what I spent on Steve Sanders' Video Master's Guide to Donkey Kong.

I agree, as of right now the first poll is kinda vague. Lot of crucial parts of the manual (in terms of dictating pricing) are all coming together in these last few days, so I really just wanted to get a feel of how much someone was generally willing to pay for something like this, since we have kinda two general options that significantly determine the pricing (color vs black and white printing).

Essentially: Do people want a super colorful collector's piece or just the manual in hard copy form? What is what they most care about? This seems important, because the pdf will always be available on DKF for free once it is completed.

Come Monday, I will hopefully be able to post far more detail) as well as the free pdf.

Will it be able to get shipped overseas to germany?

Another thing to note is the fact that we will be trying to put together a website once the KO3 ends where we will hopefully be able to sell copies of the manual as well. It may be the case that with this website we will be able to offer more catering to the specific preferences of what people want. :) So, yes, we will hopefully be able to ship over seas at some point in the future!

And will there be some sort of preview? 1 or 2 preview pages or so?

Yes, we'll hopefully have the free pdf out by monday afternoon/evening!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:11:20 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:21:24 am »
I want to buy one at some point.  How much will they be?  Or was this already answered?  Sigh  :-\ :-\

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline lifereboot

• http://www.lifereboot.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 07:37:57 am »
Thanks for the info Mitch.

If it's going to be 8.5x11 I'd rather just read the free PDF.  The idea of a book that would fit on my bookshelf appeals to me, but the idea of a clear cover printed paper manual you're describing does not.
lifereboot
DK personal best (arcade / 3 men) 1,037,500
http://www.lifereboot.com
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 08:47:09 am »
I don't think I would plop down $50 for a spiral bound DK book. I would gladly pay that for something I could display on a shelf though. Mayeb you could publish in on blurb like Sean Newton did with Bit, Stick and Buttons.. http://www.blurb.com/b/2010021-bits-sticks-and-buttons

Just my thoughts.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:14:24 am »
Is it possible to print both versions without increasing the cost of each?

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:23:50 am »
Note: I do see everyone's comments here. Lots of legitimate questions, lots of good ideas (I'm sure there'll be more). I will be checking in briefly throughout the day, but my schedule of working on the manual has me tied down, I will try to respond to posts later this evening when things are bit less busy in terms of manual work (haha, pun). Keep the comments and suggestions coming!

EDIT: Also, the manual writers/editors will need to have a 'meeting' of sorts to more fully plan out some things before some questions can be better answered. I also have calls to make to the printers. This also limits me being able to fully answer questions at this time. I promise more fine-tuned details will be available by monday evening... but, in the meantime, lay out any questions concerns you have concerning the specific poll above here. Later on (when fine details become clear, and when the PDF is posted) I will create a more general discussion thread as well as maybe a couple other specified polls. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:45:15 am by marinomitch13 »

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 03:11:10 pm »
I am kinda agreeing with ken's comment on this.
Either way I would like to purchase a copy.
Can I buy one an have Allen bring it back to aus for me???
Thanks
Nick
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 07:05:57 pm »
I could see Allen ripping it up after a death at the kong offs! Whoops. Sorry mate. Lol
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 01:12:24 pm »
Good news! It looks as though the Fedex/Kinkos just 5 blocks from the 1up will be able to make basically either of the two options in this poll in about 24 hours (basically regardless of the quantity). It may be feasible to ultimately offer both types of the manual at the KO3 without having to cough up thousands of dollars to make the initial copies. All we'd have to do is take a head count, collect money, and then go make the purchase, then they'd be ready the next day. The manual team will be having a meeting on this later to determine more.

P.s. The manual is almost done! More will be posted tonight! :D