Author Topic: PSP's donkey kong related FB post  (Read 11916 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: PSP's donkey kong related FB post
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 09:08:50 am »
Mitch, you know a lot of us are blocked from seeing his facebook content, right? We have been "walled off" from responding.  ;D
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:14 am »
This is the post by PSP that I linked above, for those that can't see it. He has a screen grab of Jason's comment linked to his post, but I didn't reproduce that here:

I've made it a habit of pulling back on a lot of this kinda thing... keeping my eyes on the prize these days as I finally realize that a handful of critics aren't worth the time... and, in fact, are incredibly loyal readers.

However, something about this one, sent to me by a supporter just now, irked me... as it shows a deep rooted misunderstanding of what exactly I do. I am going to respond to it... here.

Mr. Nugent,

"All I do" is show up at "select events to promote myself" is what you say. "Join in the discussion" you say as well.

It is clear to me that you have taken an incredibly selective view of what it is I do.

For the record, most of what I've been working on this year is NOT public knowledge. Admittedly, nobody who only checks my social media posts and/or my website is going to know even 1/5th of the picture these days. Far more stuff cooking up behind the curtain that I cannot reveal just yet.

However... what you very much seem to miss is right in front of you.

These events I go to. The vast majority of them see me hosting panel discussions. The types of topics we discuss are things like the ever-present violent video game debate... sexism in video game culture... preservation and recognition of video game history... etc. With all due respect, these topics have a lot more priority than chatting about a single 32-year-old arcade machine.

Each of these panels contains discussion with the audience. I want to know what THEY think... what THEY feel on these topics. Why? Because I'm lucky enough to have a loud voice in gaming... and I want to use it to speak not only for myself, but to speak for EVERYONE. That way, next time I get a chance to speak on these important topics on another panel or on TV or radio... I can speak for everyone who has talked with me... and yes, I will take the time to chat with anyone and everyone who wants to talk at these events.

I also co-hosted an awards presentation of a video game competition this year. That was entirely about promoting the winners of those tournaments and celebrating them.

I also take the time to converse with everyone I can on here and Twitter most days... and actually consider it part of my job to do so. I also take the time to reply to every e-mail, Facebook inbox, Twitter DM and phone call I get from the gaming communities.

In addition to all that, I still produce written features that promote the people of video game culture as time allows, and continue to put positive contributors to the overall scene center stage as much as I'm able to do so. Over the years I've done almost 200 of these.

Hopefully I also don't have to remind of the 5,000+ hours of time I gave for free when I was at Twin Galaxies from 2008-2011... a great many of those hours spent on pushing for the "live ref only" rule on Donkey Kong to go away as Hank was coming on the horizon.... pushing stories about DK players into the mainstream media at a level nobody else has proven capable of doing yet and even getting a live world record attempt on the game aired on live national television during the biggest annual video gaming event there is.

Is there a professional benefit to most if not all of the above? Yes... and there has to be. I have a family to provide for here. Perhaps you'd find it interesting, however, that at one particular event this summer I was provided an artist's alley table to "promote myself" at... but never made it there, as I used that time to discuss my panel topics with audience members who wanted to talk with me afterwards. I skipped "promoting myself" in order to have a conversation with gamers. This is in stark contrast to what you claim now, isn't it?

Lastly, if you are referring to or suggesting that I'm on my "high horse" because I won't specifically engage in discussions on the DK forums... well, there's honestly a lot bigger things going on in video gaming today than that one game, including the panel topics I noted above.

Besides.. why would I wish to support a community that won't support me? I've already given a great many things to the DK "community" over the past half-decade... only to be basically crapped on by several members on it.

Normal people don't work that way.

No hard feelings... but I suggest before claiming someone is riding a "high horse" you step off of your own long enough to look a little deeper into what you think you know and see.

Best of wishes to you.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 09:38:23 am »
And here is a comment on this same status by PSP from about 7 mins ago (Mark  ;D ):

To anyone who claims to be 'walled off from responding'.... I block VERY few people... and when I do, it means you were a pretty big asshole towards me. Phone still works, though... as does that open invite anyone has to use it.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:48 am »
This message is meant for PSP (since I know he is watching this thread):

PSP, I've decided to post this here, rather than on your FB page, because I'm assuming you won't appreciate having added 'drama' there, but I still just have one nagging question. Yeah, maybe Jason jumped the gun and doesn't know everything about what you do, and maybe some people have been 'assholes' to you in different ways, so you've blocked them... I get that, that's your opinion, and that's fine if that's how you see it. I just wanna touch on your relationship with the DK community (which you mentioned near the bottom of your status above) -and not those other individual people in particular.

Here's my simple question: If the DK community, in general, has questioned you (primarily on your DK KS), then why don't you just simply and easily stream for about 1-3 hours and play DK for us? I mean, if you've gotten a KS, it will literally be evident that you have the skill within just the first few 100k of a game, and if you were to get even 500k in one or two attempts (not hard at all for a KS player) then the majority of the community would immediately believe you. I don't think a loss of skill would be an issue at all either. DK is not a pattern game, so in the worst case scenario, just practice for an extra 2 hours or so and it will come back to you. It just seems like you haven't tried very hard to answer people's doubts, when, if you are being truthful on this specific matter, it would be very easy to do so. Do you see where I'm coming from? I don't think it would be unfair to ask you to 'prove' yourself in this way, and I hope you don't see this suggestion as unnecessary and needlessly questioning your character -it just seems like this is the natural and simply thing to ask of someone who has yet to demonstrate their ability in the same way 70 other people on DKF already have (i.e. those that stream their games or submit inps). Again, I hope I don't come across as malicious... I'm just sincerely confused why you don't use this straightforward approach of validating yourself.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:31 am »
And here is a comment on this same status by PSP from about 7 mins ago (Mark  ;D ):

To anyone who claims to be 'walled off from responding'.... I block VERY few people... and when I do, it means you were a pretty big asshole towards me. Phone still works, though... as does that open invite anyone has to use it.

hahahaha! :) Love it?
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 10:35:54 am »
When Patrick starts talking about DK for some reason all I can think about is this
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:39:07 am by Ninglendo »
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:24 am »
I know dk isn't high on his list but would love to see him play. Just to see his skill level and to personally know if his kill screen was legit.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 11:04:38 am »
Why do you guys make a big deal about his posts and write-ups .. That's why he has removed and blocked a lot of you guys from his FB..

He is mainly a Video Game Reporter now ..  I respect that ..

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »
I wish PSP cared about being an active part of the community.  Instead, all he does is make appearances at select events to promote himself.  There's nothing wrong with promoting yourself, but get down off of your high horse and engage in the discussion, man. 

I had no idea that my opinion would be broadcasted on Facebook.  However, since I decided on a whim to voice my opinion on a public forum, I should have expected no less than a well thought-out response from the person I opined about.  Thank you for your response, Scott.  I do not know you personally.  Indeed, all I know of you I have garnered from your website, your time as a Twin Galaxies referee, your Facebook posts, and the occasional live Q&A on Justin.tv or an interview on Arcade Culture. 
Please re-read the beginning of the third sentence of my three sentence post.  It reads, "There is nothing wrong with promoting yourself,"
I have no problem with your career path, and the fact of life that you must self-promote to make a living.  You have created a public persona and you use it well.  I congratulate you on this success.  As a member of the old TG forums, I read many of your forum posts and your many responses to what others had posted.  I eventually perused your website and became friends with you on Facebook.  At first, I found your story and persona to be fascinating and inspiring.  I also related to your fascination with Drew Barrymore  ;D.  But as I continued to read your forum and FB posts, I began to notice some things about you (or, at least, your public image).  Your posts typically carried an air of superiority and 'machismo', if you will, which was quite a turn-off to not only me, but others whom you encountered and interacted with on the TG forums.  You were quick, in my opinion, to dismiss the opinions and gripes of others.  I began to see you as arrogant and combative in online discussion, although I did not engage you in such discussions at that time or any other time.  It is possible you didn't then or don't realize now that you come off this way to others. 
Anyway, the TG/CAGDC forums are old news, but I still perceive you this way, based on what I've read and heard.
Yes, I am a part of the DK forums, and I enjoy that game.  I enjoy having discussions about the game, high scores, related games, top and beginner players, and so on.  And I enjoy many other games and interests as well.  And yes, by 'engage in the discussion' I meant 'join the forums and stop commenting on the community and instead be a part of it'.  'Get down off your high horse' was a harsh choice of words, but it got your attention and response.  In the end, I'm just a guy who plays video games and posts on a forum.  My opinion really shouldn't mean a whole lot to you.  I wish you continued success, but I stand by my words. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:58:46 pm by JNugent »

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:25 pm »
Haven't posted much lately.  What's up with all the negativity?  Lame.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Zetherman

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 01:14:35 am »
you shouldn't care what he says. trust me on that .

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 12:05:36 am »
At no point in that post does PSP specifically identify who is "speaking ill" of TG and/or the Kong Off, where they did so, or what they said. So it's kind of impossible to respond to meaningfully.

Anyway, if there's any chance that any of that was directed at me, here goes:

I covered and live-blogged the shit out of this event last year. I was the only entity, anywhere, to even mention who won it, let alone follow the action in detail. I assure you, and everybody else, I "busted my ass" to do so, and I expected (and got) nothing from it in terms of "opportunities" or compensation or anything but a few "hey, that was cool"s and a few bucks from the ads on the blog. Which is fine, and I'm as happy as a clam about it. You can't expect thanks when you do something that nobody asked you to do. I did it because it was fun. The blog is fun. (The blog will also most likely be abandoned before too long, because it's just a blog, I'm losing interest in it, and who cares?) But if the work I did on the KO2 (and whatever I end up doing on the KO3) doesn't count as "support" I don't know what does.

Nobody takes this shit as seriously as you think they're taking it.

Literally not one person is going to the KO3 to leap in front of TV cameras or in hopes of being spotted by talent scouts from the Professional Donkey Kong League or whatever in god's name you're even talking about with all that. (What could anybody possibly be trying to get out of playing at the Kong Off?) Nobody cares about "having a stage" (if anything, most of us will be AVOIDING the press), and nobody has their "own purposes", except to meet and hang out with our friends and bust each others balls at Donkey Kong.

If "the media" that caught wind of this tournament last year couldn't be bothered to even mention that Jeff Willms won the thing, when the only source who felt that this was important was some piddly little blog that almost nobody reads, what does that tell the rest about their prospects? These media weren't interested in knowing who won the Donkey Kong tournament, because nobody else (except us) is. They were only interested (for about five seconds) in the fact that a Donkey Kong tournament was happening, because that's just quirky enough to merit a little bumper segment at the end of the newscast.

"The stage", if it's anyone's, is TG's. And good for them.

TG/The 1up stands to gain more from this than any individual player, or the players collectively, and I hope they DO gain. But the Kong Off is not a "gift." (John and Eric's wildcard tournaments, THOSE are a gift.) The Kong Off is awesome and I love that it exists, but TG/the bar are business ventures, and this event is an investment in creating foot-traffic, publicity, and opportunities for those ventures. I hope it pays off too. I hope they make a billion dollars.

AND FINALLY, I don't care whether or not you killscreened. I haven't even mentioned this topic in I don't know how long, and have no intention of ever bringing it up again. I'm not interested in talking on the phone about it either (if that is indeed what you wanted me to call you about, and de-friended me the other day for not doing). In the time it takes us to have that pointless conversation, you could get on Twitch, play up to L15 or so, and that would be the end of the questions. Keep blowing hot air, or get on your stream and start jumping some fking barrels.

<3 <3 <3,

- ChrisP

P.S.: At some point during the Kong Off weekend, I will be Attituding in your honor. I promise!

He is mainly a Video Game Reporter

Now you've done it...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:48:26 am by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 03:32:57 pm »
Funniest part is he is going off about how the DK players want the "stage" or crave attention, but we can't forget this little nugget.

CBS 11 - Patrick Scott Patterson begins his Donkey Kong challenge
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline michaelsroka

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 05:52:45 pm »
Yes I said Patrick and not Scott.

I love it.
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer