Author Topic: PSP's donkey kong related FB post  (Read 11938 times)

Adam_Wilmot

PSP's donkey kong related FB post
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:00:57 pm »
 dont really know what hes banging on about TBH, but w/e thought I would post for anyone who hasn't seen it or can't read PSP posts on fb
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm often amazed at how many parallels exist between what I used to do in the wrestling business and what I do now in the gaming world. I'm grateful to have learned those lessons, as they are why I get some of the opportunities that I do in what I do today.

I'm going to take some time here to draw one of those parallels as I don't like something I'm seeing within the classic arcade gaming community right now. In particular... this applies to several of the Donkey Kong players. It's not meant to be preachy, though it will probably come off that way. It's not meant to sound upset or angry, though I'm sure some will choose to take it that way. I'm simply stating what I feel.

There were two types of people in the wrestling world. There were those who appreciated the promotions that booked them and were willing to help out those companies. To me, it only made sense to do so. After all, running a live event is damn hard and damn expensive... and I figured if I helped take care of the place giving me the stage to perform it would ensure that I had plenty more chances to do so.

Sometimes that meant that, even on nights when I was in the main event, I'd help set up some chairs or pick up some trash in the dressing room. Sometimes that meant helping promote the company on my own website and by posting flyers. Sometimes that meant wrestling two, even three times in a night to cover no-shows so that the fans would get a full card. Whatever it took.

Others didn't work that way. They'd show up to the show long enough to dress out, go do the match they way they wanted, get paid and leave. They weren't willing to come in at midnight to film vignettes or commercial bumpers for TV. They weren't willing to talk to the press or make the personal appearances. They only wanted the stage and wanted it for their own purposes. Some didn't even care about the size of the crowd... as long as they got their stuff on tape as part of the package they wanted to mail to New York, Atlanta or Philly in hopes of getting a "real booking" as I once heard one call it.

What THAT type failed to realize is that the show wasn't happening because of them... they had opportunities because that live event was giving it to them. If it wasn't them getting the spotlight it would be someone else in their place.

I'm seeing this exact same stuff from some (keyword: SOME) as the Kong-Off 3 event comes closer. Here's an event taking place because of people who are busting their asses to create it. Tens of thousands of dollars are being invested into it. Hell, the media package for it alone is the most professional thing released under the Twin Galaxies banner in at least ten years... and took months to put together.

That's right... last time I checked the Twin Galaxies name was among those bringing this event to life. I also see Richie's name on that... as well as the 1Up.

What I don't see is support for those names from a number of people who are participants in the event and/or participants in this walled off clique that the DK "community" has allowed to be created. I see ill remarks made about the very people who have created the event, are working to promote the event, etc.

Just like the wrestling story above... these DK players (again, not all of them... but a notable number of them) fail to realize that this event isn't happening because of them... this event is FOR THEM. The very people who that "community" is pissing on are the ones who created the very stage they have for themselves here. They just as easily could have put the champions of Pac-Man or Frogger or Q*bert center stage and run an event. Yes, it would have the same support and hype... perhaps even MORE media attention.

But I see no appreciation for that from far too many people. All I see is them believing their own self-created press and letting their egos run amok. I fully believe a large number of those who are being given the stage at that event don't give a damn if it makes money or even breaks even... and that's just plain foolish. All they want is the stage... seemingly convinced that they created it.

They didn't create it. It was created for them.

The least they can do is return the favor and support those who did that for them. It's short-sighted and senseless to bite the hand that feeds... as it can always stop feeding.

Anyone who wishes to speak on this below can do so. If you want to cut and paste it somewhere else, feel free do to so... just ensure you cut and paste the whole damn thing.

I will only speak to/reply to remarks on my feelings to those who call me personally. Number is on my website. No desire to belabor the subject online beyond my remarks here.

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: PSP's donkey kong related FB post
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:35:43 pm »
Let me preface this statement by saying there is no clique, there is no non-appreciation for the Kong Off, and there is no group that was "allowed" to be created.

I can explain exactly what's going on right now. We all know recently about Tim's joining of the DK forum, and to most it was a pleasant surprise. However, it turned sour very fast due to his participation turning into a KoK whine fest, and somehow thinks the DK forum was all in on it or naive "experts" and proceeds to insult anyone who tries to explain themselves. I think most are over that.

But, that's not all. GIV-George's recent statements on facebook can be taken mostly as humor, or taken seriously....and that's what happened. George's post broke the ice for certain people to unleash their hatred towards the DK community.

I'll say it again, there is no clique, if there is I'm not in it. I compete in DK and post here about it, that's what we do. The group was created to not flood CAGDC with DK messages, we were doing them a favor. (I'm still LOL'ing about the being "ALLOWED" to create a DK group - WTF is that about?). Even though the word "SOME" was quoted, "NO ONE" is in a clique. We play DK because it's in the spotlight. If you get #10 in the world on DK, that's something to talk about, if you get #10 on Rally-X, well no one will care right now. As long as the spotlight is shining more will come to compete. The Kong Off helps that. IF you think some are naive enough to think the kong off is not worthwhile for TG/Richie/1UP, you're crazy. They benefit from it. It's a fun event for all that has no reason to have this recent negative tone surrounding it.

I mean really, what is the problem? That's like a solitaire group being mad that Texas Holdem gets all the attention. Geez, let it go.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:48:29 pm »
After some reflection I thought maybe it was a combination of the Mame discussion, some not paying for submissions, and the recent events with Tim, and George. Now, I am actually looking forward to Tim's responses because I have posted some ideas in his favor and I hope that helps to bridge a gap. I am not really sure what PSP means here beyond these issues. Both the players and the organizers benefit from the experience, that is what community does. Maybe if PSP was more specific... and offer a case in point...

PS. And not to forget the fact that PSP may still be upset over the whole questioning his KS thing...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:50:31 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
I attempted to agree with Tim, but I mis-used my word, when I agreed with him I said "Got you" like saying "I understand you and agree" and he took it as "Hey I caught you! you were wrong! Got You!" and immediately attacked me back. Even after I clarified that I was agreeing with him, he ignored it and moved on to someone else. So, good luck with having a constructive conversation with him. Hope he responds better with you.

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:00 pm »
lol, yeah, I can see that. In my lengthy post to his so called "rebuttal", I spent most of my time clarifying that I was not saying what he thought that I was. Maybe my clarifications will help. Though, that has not yet been anyone's experience. I am willing to give him a little more rope and see what he does with it.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:39 pm »
1) TG benefits from the KOs. If they didn't it wouldn't happen. Whether they break even or not with the KO in-and-of-itself is debatable, but at the very least they use DK because it is their best marketing option.

2) There is no DK 'clique' in the sense of the word that connotes something malicious, elitist, or haughty. DK is just ridiculously popular, and many people are significantly involved in fostering the community's continual growth. Realize, DKF is evidence in itself, if you look at the stats, that DK is maybe 20-30 times more popular than any other CAG right now. That's just the way it is.

3) People can disagree with TG on many things and still be appreciative that they put on the KOs. I haven't seen anyone significantly diss the KOs in any way. It seems like it's expected that people agree 100% or not be involved with TG at all. I assure you, that is not the route that TG would want to take right now! :D
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:56:02 am »
if you get #10 on Rally-X, well no one will care right now.

I'll be over in the corner, crying in a fetal position....   :'(
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 05:30:39 am »
if you get #10 on Rally-X, well no one will care right now.

I'll be over in the corner, crying in a fetal position....   :'(

As a test Steve we should start a rallyxforum.com and post a top 10, and start talking about how cool and awesome it to get a score on this hard game and I bet submissions will stry rolling in. Every game game needs a platform :)

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:57 am »
I attempted to agree with Tim, but I mis-used my word, when I agreed with him I said "Got you" like saying "I understand you and agree" and he took it as "Hey I caught you! you were wrong! Got You!" and immediately attacked me back. Even after I clarified that I was agreeing with him, he ignored it and moved on to someone else. So, good luck with having a constructive conversation with him. Hope he responds better with you.

Sorry about that, the written word and intentions  can often be misinterpreted.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:54:16 am »

Sorry about that, the written word and intentions  can often be misinterpreted.

No problem, glad that was cleared up. You and I have pretty close personal bests on this game, lets see who can get to 1.1M first. :)

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
Rally X is freaking hard..... Just wanted to point that out....
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Fast Eddie

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »
seems like everyones just been looking forward to the KO and enjoying the wild card tournies, fighting for places etc... nothing negative or ungrateful towards TG...

8)

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:41:12 pm »
I wish PSP cared about being an active part of the community.  Instead, all he does is make appearances at select events to promote himself.  There's nothing wrong with promoting yourself, but get down off of your high horse and engage in the discussion, man. 

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:26 pm »
Psp acts like the world revolves around him. I questioned him about his score to what he achieved and he gave a smart ass comment about it being on his website and that I need to open my eyes and look.  It wasn't even on there until a week later. Then I don't even think it showed a real score but him typing it instead of a photo. I was trying to congratulate the guy for a kill screen but he'd rather spit in your face. I don't hate anyone but patrick would rank up their for my distaste for a person. Yes I said Patrick and not Scott.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 06:54:54 am »
I wish PSP cared about being an active part of the community.  Instead, all he does is make appearances at select events to promote himself.  There's nothing wrong with promoting yourself, but get down off of your high horse and engage in the discussion, man.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202210665527381&set=a.1221548938157.2034814.1211960570&type=1
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer