Author Topic: Advice on Arcade purchase  (Read 7824 times)

Tyr1ck

Advice on Arcade purchase
« on: February 06, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »
I briefly searched the past threads and couldn't come up with too much though this seems like it might be a common question.  As far as TG submissions go, is there anything I should look out for when purchasing a DK Arcade machine?  I am currently looking at one, but am a little hesitant because it has a kit installed for things like freeplay, high-score save, soft DIP menu.. Is this a problem? if so, is it easily removable?  Anyway, I'd appreciate as much info as possible from you all.  I am hoping to not make a purchase I will regret.  =) Thanks

Simpsons99

Re: Advice on Arcade purchase
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »
What your looking for mosty  is a factory perfectly control panel,    Inside look at the Game Board  chips should have writings on the roms.

On the board it should Allso Say  Nintendo ...    You should allso notice if it's a 2 boardset    or if it's a 3 Boardset .  Most of your cocktail machines  used the 3 boardsets.. I belive.

Yes the High score save kits can be removed...   Just be carefull to not bend the chips removing them.

If you got any questions feel free to ask .    ask for pics ..  or take them your self.. I will gladly look at them!
How much is he wanting for it?

GL!  Wellcome to owning a DK Machine

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
The big problem with answering this question is that TG has changed ownership, and nobody knows what the new rules are going to be when they return.

When TG went offline the hardware rules were these:
- Original power supply
- Original 2-board PCB marked "TKG-4", which includes ROM chips with factory stickers
- No kits or extra hardware in the Z80 slot
- Original TKG-23-50 joystick, or exact reproduction, with four-way restrictor
- No wires other than the power cord entering the cabinet
- A back door that can be locked or screwed shut

Unless I'm forgetting something, that's it.

My hope is that none of this will be in place with the "new" TG and that submissions will simply allow the gameplay to speak for itself. That will likely not be the case, unfortunately.

To answer your main question, yes, the Braze kit CAN be removed. It's not difficult but it's a little nerve-wracking, and it definitely puts your PCB and Z80 CPU at risk. I put mine in and I'm not planning to take it out. I bought the machine to get a TG ranking, but I've sorta fallen in love with the machine itself, and at this point I care a lot more about the well-being of my hardware than whether or not I ever get ranked by TG (more on that later).

Aside from that, nothing about a prospective machine can't be remedied. Probably the most expensive problem would be stickerless ROMs, since the only way to fix that would be buy (or trade) your PCB for one with correctly-stickered ROMs. The rule is absurd as the ROMs can be modified with zero physical evidence, but it's the rule.

Power supplies and original/repro joysticks can be found easily online.

I'd worry more about the monitor! You do NOT want to deal with a flaky or non-functional Sanyo 20EZ. Replacing or repairing one of those is a whole world unto itself, and will cost a lot if you need to get a new one shipped to you.

It may also be a good idea to ask yourself whether being ranked at TG even matters anymore.

Check out Hank's official unofficial list of kill-screeners/personal bests and compare it to the TG leaderboards. Lots of names and scores missing, including a few million-point players.

The "true" top 50 of all known DK scores is now so far away from the reality that I'm personally starting to not care anymore whether I'm ranked at TG at all. TG's DK scoreboard is becoming increasingly irrelevant  (partly *because* of all the rules, which do nothing but needlessly deter submissions).

I feel like we the players have pretty much taken over the score-tracking. We can do this better as a community of highly-involved experts that specialize in this one game than TG can as a generalized scorekeeping entity, and we're a hell of a lot easier to "submit" to.

Also, to be blunt, we're the only ones who really care about each other's scores anyway! Outsiders are really only interested in who holds the world record at the moment, not who is in 20th place.

Of course, it's up to you how much a TG ranking matters. The list up there is what you're going to need, at least for the previous ownership!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:29:15 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:35:54 am »
Chris, you make a lot of good points. As for TG scoreboard, the longer it stays down, it's going to become irrelevant. I know Richie is really wanmting it back up and we will all be impressed with the board, but so much has happen related to DK scores and such since TG has been down. I hope the TG scoreboard does get back to the prestige it once was, because I'm still recording as if it is.

And the blunt statement about us only really caring about the scores is sort of true. Vincent made a post the other day about how there are now 50 players with DK kill screens. It had me think, how many people out there are actually playing DK? I don't mean the occasional MAME player who'll play a few games, or someone passing by a DK machine. I'm talking about players who are really interested in DK and would love to be on the scoreboard. I'd have to say the number is probably only between 100-200, including the 50 who have killscreens. I'd be interested in knowing other's estimate on how many people are actively out there playing DK and trying.

Not to hijack this thread, but like Brian said. Just make sure it's a 2-board set, and the title screen says 1981 Nintendo of America.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:10:31 pm »
If you find a good price buy it. Don't worry about T.G. rules. You can swap out parts later.

But I mean, unless you are world class already, it will probably take you a while to get to world class, so just get the machine and practice on it. When the time comes, you can then swap stuff out if need be to get the thing up to standards.

I guess I'd echo the above, though, and say the most important thing to worry about is the board set.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Tyr1ck

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:24:10 pm »
Here are some pics.  The guy wants $700, but I think I can get him down to $625ish.  Let me know if something stands out in the pics.  Thanks =)

http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/user/Tyr1ck/library/Donkey%20Kong%20Arcade

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:26:27 am »
Looks to be in very good condition, I don't see anything wrong with it. It also looks like it's already had a cap-kit done to it, so that's a plus! I'd say go for it. That seems like a good price for one in that condition.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:27:11 am »
I'd pick up the machine.  Most Donkey Kong machines that I've seen are going for abot $600-800 on craigslist.  I wonder how the monitor looks?
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 06:43:09 am »
- That's an original power supply, so no problem there.
- Can't really see the PCB too well, so no idea of ROMs/kits, etc. It looks to have the "traditional" wiring setup though (no edge connector), which is good.
- There is a metal box on top of the coin box, between the mechs, with a yellow wire and what looks like a grounding wire coming out of it. What is that? I don't recognize it. Whatever it is, it's not standard. Could be nothing, could be a problem.
- There's also no high-voltage cage over the flyback, but that's no big deal. It'll make the focus pot easier to adjust! :)

Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:51:33 am »
Does kinda looks like it has some sort of daughter card on it (at least a highscore kit, maybe even D2K), but the wires are in the way a bit. Maybe just ask him.

Someone would have had to take the high-voltage cage off to get the board out and do the cap-kit, I believe. They probably just left it off to make removing that board easier in the future (such a pain to deal with).

Not sure what the metal box is. I think I remember reading something about it a long time ago though on KLOV, but I forget.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Tyr1ck

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 06:16:25 am »
Update! I ended up buying that machine a week ago (the 16th).  It was my first arcade purchase/transport (which included 2 flights of stairs into my 3rd floor apartment) and everything went smoothly.  I ended up getting it for $650, and was relieved to get home and see everything working GREAT!  The previous owner's high score of 420k was up there and all that was left was for me to knock it out real quick to officially own it...

I couldn't do it... I mean... Couldn't even come close... It seemed as if every attempt was littered with a bad lvl 3 barrel, or dumb mistakes that prevented me from ever getting a game started.  I thought the game was cursed. I was questioning whether or not the purchase was a good decision (Am I even worthy of a kong machine!?!?!?!). 

My roommate watched me play a few games and immediately notice that my gameplay was way more careless/risky than ever before.  It suddenly hit me:  I had been watching Dean play on twitch the past few weeks without playing DK myself!  I had somehow vicariously acquired his balls but without his skill to back it up.  I had to ask myself "Why the hell am I viciously point pressing when I've never even got a killscreen?"  Originally, just a killscreen was the goal, but somehow after a few weeks of not playing and watching Dean, 1.2mil pace was where my mind was. 

The solution was simple... So what if you don't get the bottom hammer on all barrel lvls?... So what if you don't get all the prizes?... Play is safe and simple.  I can always revisit a more aggressive gameplay style when I actually have the skill to back it up.

I kept this in mind and hit 790k within a few games, forever lifting the curse from the machine.

This could have been posted under a new "Disclaimer for watching Dean:  Do not attempt at home" topic.  ^^ Thanks for all the advice guys.  It really helped when considering this purchase.  Glad to have found this forum! Everyone rocks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:08:13 am by Tyr1ck »

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 06:39:04 am »

That's a nice looking machine.  I like the chair as well.  Lastly, it's a good thing that door opens outward.   :)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:27 am »
Nice machine! Nice Score! (Don't worry though, I'm sure it has several more headaches left to give you with time.  ;) )

Also: You should teach your roommate too; there's always room for more Kongers!

Simpsons99

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 03:36:46 pm »
Nice * Blue machine*  Looks to be restored

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 05:10:59 pm »
Very nice! Only thing to "fix" is the coin decal. Where do they want you to insert coins, the floor?  ;D