Author Topic: How many games to break 1m points  (Read 11216 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: How many games to break 1m points
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 04:46:18 am »
For reference:

DK Jr took about 50 games to break 1m and DK3 took 3 games to break 1m.

With DK being the toughest of the 3 by far, 200 is not a bad starting estimate.

Well you should note that the DK3 is on easy settings. ;)

Also, one more thing.   All DK 1 million point games are not the same, even on correct settings.  Since I am actually good at Donkey Kong Junior, and Donkey Kong 3, I know approximately what scores are equivalent to a million point Donkey Kong game.

Here is what I believe is equivalent to 1 million on Donkey Kong for both games

1.2 million on Donkey Kong Junior
4 million on Donkey Kong 3 Twin Galaxies Marathon settings
1 million on Donkey Kong 3 Twin Galaxies 5 man settings
10 million on Donkey Kong 3 Twin Galaxies easy settings
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:48:13 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 04:59:05 am »

The first game I played of it, I didn't know you could go up or down.  So I should note it was probably 2 games.   ;)
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 05:37:24 am »

The first game I played of it, I didn't know you could go up or down.  So I should note it was probably 2 games.   ;)

Like I said, 10 million on Donkey Kong 3 easy settings is equivalent to 1 million on Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong 3 feeds you men every 30,000 points, and so it is one of the easiest games to get to 1 million.  The real trick comes after 1 million because the game stops giving you those free men.

Steve you are probably the gamer with the most gaming intelligence.  There is one very unfortunate thing that came with all that gaming intelligence.  It's the fact that the more gaming intelligence one has, the less patience one has as well.  Your mind is racing too fast to be doing a menial task, and hence you become more bored with a game than most people would.

So your greatest gift is also your greatest weakness.  So strangely enough the greatest strength one can have to go for a super high score on any particular game is not intelligence.   It's another word called tenacity.

"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 06:14:43 am »
I got my machine in March 2012, got my first killscreen (914k) in May 2012, and got my highest score Oct 2012 (923k).

I've had about 6 games that were in the 800k+ range that were on pace for 1M, but still haven't gotten there.

I'd guess i've played around 200 games of DK (full games, going past L5 with at least 2 guys left)...but would be interesting to know the exact number.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline KIG666

• KIG666 MARP
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 10:36:30 am »
IMO it's not easy to tell how long it will take someone from his first KS till his first 1M game.

Guess if you are already good enough to get a KS on a more regular basis it might go pretty fast. Then again you plan to practice on the arcade machine only so it will take you for sure longer than you would practice it with savestats on mame. 100 games, 200 or 300 ? it's really hard to say IMO.

I for my part haven't even started to pointpress yet, I want first become a more consistent killscreener before loading extra pressure on me.

Dunno if that is the right strategy but it feels comfortable right now so for me it is *learning to walk before I try to run* lets see if that pays out at the end  :)
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 11:02:55 am »
First time i ever got a Kill Screen i got over a Millon points on Donkey Kong Junior.

giv

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:40 pm »
This works like The Price is Right, right? The guess that is closest without going over wins.

I say 1 game. Because I think this is one of those cases where it is a sound strategy.