Author Topic: Donkey Kong Wiki  (Read 2054 times)

Donkey Kong Genius

Donkey Kong Wiki
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:20:44 am »
I wanted to restart a discussion thread concerning the Donkey Kong Wiki.

Since I have stepped away from the project in general, I wanted to let the community know that this was created for you, and I want you to please feel free to use it. Right now the wiki is under the control of a member of the community, who can share who they are if they are interested. In general, even though I have officially stepped away from Donkey Kong projects, I still would like to see the Wiki succeed.

When I started the High Score List it was a project for all of us that gave us better control over our scores as a community and I believe it has done very well. Jeremy and Scott continue to do an awesome job in improving the HSL. Likewise, I intended the Wiki project to ultimately belong to the community, and for the community. I envisioned creating a wiki that would give the same dignity to Donkey Kong and other Classic Arcade Games as Liquipedia has done for games like StarCraft II.

The Wiki links to several pages that are still under-construction which are also part of this inquiry. Such as The Donkey Kong League, or The Streaming Page.

In fact most of the vision concerning the Liquipedia type wiki and the Donkey Kong League came from someone who can name themselves if they wish. But I owe a lot of the vision to this person even though all the work has been almost solely my own.   

Please review some of the content on the wiki, the streaming page, and the Donkey Kong League, and let me know your thoughts and ideas. I have always believed that we can accomplish as a community much more than any one of us could ever do on our own. I believe that the HSL is a good example of this fact.

You can quickly learn more about the Wiki by reading the following articles:

1) Wiki Features
2) Mission Statement
3) How to Contribute

In order to help people get started in Donkey Kong I also created this page which can be improved with new and better ideas: Getting Started with Donkey Kong.

Additionally, the Wiki has already been helpful in giving us a shared space to do the following:

1) Donkey Kong Basic Manual
2) Donkey Kong Code Assembly
3) A Wiki for Mario Bros and Donkey Kong Junior
4) Player Biographical Pages: Example Player Page

Additionally, I am curious to see what the community might do with the Donkey Kong League concept now that Eric and John will no longer be facilitating the Donkey Kong Open tournaments.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Wiki
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:45:45 am »
I think the addition of the wiki would be a great idea, especially when considering the potential tournament and league events that may arise in the future. It only makes sense to me that we would internally track our data/results in a wiki style page.  There are  certain types of information/topics that would be more suited to a wiki format, many of the "educational or informative threads" might be more effectively usurped by a newer player if they didn't need to follow conversations associated with the content. 

Just my 2 cents, I think it would really round-out the DKF, I mean what else would we need?  There are definite benefits here, and it would ultimately increase the plasticity of this site (even though its already Kreygasm ) going forward.

I would be willing to contribute time and effort to help get the ball rolling.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

Re: Donkey Kong Wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:16:16 pm »
Donkey Kong Wiki: At a Glance

Watch in HD for best quality! :D