Author Topic: 3 million DK score now possible!  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
3 million DK score now possible!
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:13:15 am »
With the recent correction of the Kill Screen bug in the DK programing , the fictional Steve Saunders 3 million score is now obtainable.

I thought of this the other night when I was reminded of the Sienfield episode with the fictional frogger record that in reality had not happened. This episode spawned interest in Frogger untill Pat Layfee broke  the score for real.

What if someone actuayl broke the fictional Steve Saunders 3 million score for real?

The need for obscene point pressing is not required as the game won't crash at L=22-1 but the length of game play needed combined with only a few lives seems discouraging.

Any takers?
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: 3 million DK score now possible!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:25:47 am »
Yea that would be cool Tim.  I suck with a keyboard though, so no way I would attempt it...let alone the 6-7 hours it would take.

The coolest thing would be if Steve actually took the time to try, and actually get that 3M+ score.  It could be a roundabout way for him to vindicate his lie.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:45:39 am »

There have been a couple of related threads on the forum, discussing the maximum practical score in a "no killscreen" version of the game:

How high can you get?

No Kill Screen

There's also a separate HSL tracking that particular version.  At the moment, Jon Mckinnell has the lone submission:

Donkey Kong No-Killscreen High Score List

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:09:06 am »
Yea that would be cool Tim.  I suck with a keyboard though, so no way I would attempt it...let alone the 6-7 hours it would take.

The coolest thing would be if Steve actually took the time to try, and actually get that 3M+ score.  It could be a roundabout way for him to vindicate his lie.

You don't need to be restricted to a key board when playing DK on mame. I  actually use an original control panel wired into a usb connector and mame picks up input from a controller other than a keyboard. Is just like playing the arcade.

I even go so far as to use an old CRT monitor with the classic scanline feature mame offers.

Steves 3  mill score may have been a hoax  at the time, but still I thought it was worth mentioning in the doc as it is a unique  part of the scoring history of the game. I think we all make boasts when were young, thats not the problem.

The problem is Steve got a contract out of KOK for this (10k I believe). While my score was real, a WR at the time, I went through proper channels and several years latter it gets covered up and written out? What happened to my $10k contract?

Besides I could beat Steve Saunders any day of the week on DK..............sadly, even when I was 11 or 12 years old.   Steve would not stand a chance against some of the top 10 guys now,.... kill screen or not.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Fast Eddie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:25:23 am »
i have the killscreen fix rom burned and installed in my spare DK boardset, will get round to testing it soon...

i could maybe knock out a few more if any arcade players are interested, would be cool for this track to see some action...

8)

Offline John73

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:58:36 am »
Does anyone know someone who would be willing to look at code for other games?

My favorite game is one of those games where the bonus lives cuts out after 999,000 when the score rolls back to 0.  I'd like to know if this can be corrected, so that 1/ I could see if the game would be marathonable and 2/ I'd really like to know if this is actually a "bug" or whether it was programmed intentionally this way. 

I've read Don Hodges article about the DK fix, and while I understand his very well written article, I know that my assembly knowledge is nowhere near what is required to start looking at ROM dumps to try and find out what is going on.
DK Mame 266K Level 8-6
CK Mame 559K Killscreen
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:02:03 pm »
Does anyone know someone who would be willing to look at code for other games?

My favorite game is one of those games where the bonus lives cuts out after 999,000 when the score rolls back to 0.  I'd like to know if this can be corrected, so that 1/ I could see if the game would be marathonable and 2/ I'd really like to know if this is actually a "bug" or whether it was programmed intentionally this way. 

I know Galaga does this. After 1 million, no more lives are awarded. I always hated that. When ever I was about to roll the game I knew the lives I had left were "it"

I've read Don Hodges article about the DK fix, and while I understand his very well written article, I know that my assembly knowledge is nowhere near what is required to start looking at ROM dumps to try and find out what is going on.