Author Topic: Dean's 1.2 million score is probably going to be ignored by the media  (Read 30109 times)

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Dean's 1.2 million score is probably going to be ignored by the media
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 03:12:49 pm »
Chris don't know if you were joking or not but I totally agree and love to get more of his side on record through movie other than a forum.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »
I was 100% serious.

Tim makes me say "wht da?!?" and I would watch a movie about him.

I love in Dwayne's video when he angrily whips the tape out.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2013, 06:01:42 pm »
But, at the same time accused Steve Wiebe of playing with a hacked board to get a low 1 million score. Hasn't the light been shown now? Time to let that go a realize it was a major overreaction amplified by Dwayne.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2013, 11:55:13 pm »
But, at the same time accused Steve Wiebe of playing with a hacked board to get a low 1 million score. Hasn't the light been shown now? Time to let that go a realize it was a major overreaction amplified by Dwayne.

This is a strawmen argument that will no longer  work...............in context I was stating that the game I saw was suspicious. I also stated that theres NO WAY to score a million points ..............."WITHOUT POINT PRESSING".......................anyone here who is not a cult ass kisser and who does not fear reprisal from the "higher ups" will confirm this.

A lot of the "point pressing tactics Steve used  would've just been called "point leeching" and most likely not allowed by TG at the time as there was little interest in exploiting the game.

For example:

If I was playing Zoo Keeper and used the top platform on the coconut levels to jump down and jump up ect.... rack up single jumps worth 80k each (still not easy but possible) and I beat Mr. Crams record doing this, the score I got would not count as this is considered point leeching.

But If I had connections in the film business.......slipped Walter and Billy some cash....promised them some media attention in a fiilm....then Mr. Crams score would suddely become "unverified"  at this point" considered "constantly disputed" ( even though everyone knows better) and the point leeching I used turns to "point pressing"  and because the insiders make a profit exploiting the subject material,  "point pressing is  now allowed and becomes the game play norm.

Again this is basicly a strawman argument and I love how many people use it  to feebly  try to explain away the initial cover up and score disenfranchisement to start with.

Let me ask you what is your argument about my initial score being covered up?

What do you think of Walter Steve and Billy profiting from this?

What do you think of KOK producers intentionally lying and fabricating reasons to keep me out of the story's time line?

Do you think its fair that Steve Saunders made a 5 figure profit for just being an associate of Billys and I recieved nothing?

So in closing,  trying to use the fact I thought Steves game was suspicious (as did others) is NOT a defense for the wrongdoing done to me at the start.

What do you think of the fact it was done with malice of forethought?

Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 05:02:51 am »

This is a strawmen argument that will no longer  work...............in context I was stating that the game I saw was suspicious. I also stated that theres NO WAY to score a million points ..............."WITHOUT POINT PRESSING".......................anyone here who is not a cult ass kisser and who does not fear reprisal from the "higher ups" will confirm this.

A lot of the "point pressing tactics Steve used  would've just been called "point leeching" and most likely not allowed by TG at the time as there was little interest in exploiting the game.

I was referring to a statement you made after scoring 1,024,000 and said this was done on a real machine not a hacked board, with "hacked board" referring to the previous arguements against steve.

I wrote you on this last week which you either missed or ignored:

Tim, I've always said this since the release of KoK. The movie was more about Steve crossing one million and Billy's vindication afterwards. Even though there were twist to make it look like it was always Billy and Steve just came along, the real plot of the story is what happened to Steve after crossing one million. IF I'm not mistaken, your score was still 895K at the time.

Historically they could have (should have) mentioned your accomplishment, but they seemed to be more focus on Steve's story about what happened after submitting his million point tape.

What do you think of KOK producers intentionally lying and fabricating reasons to keep me out of the story's time line?

Do you think its fair that Steve Saunders made a 5 figure profit for just being an associate of Billys and I recieved nothing?

So in closing,  trying to use the fact I thought Steves game was suspicious (as did others) is NOT a defense for the wrongdoing done to me at the start.

About the profiting, they were in the doc, provided wealth of information towards what the storyline was following, the main characters should have got paid.

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 03:44:46 pm »

I was referring to a statement you made after scoring 1,024,000 and said this was done on a real machine not a hacked board, with "hacked board" referring to the previous arguements against steve

If a Double Donkey Kong PCB does not qualify as a "hacked" board, then I don't know what does

Tim, I've always said this since the release of KoK. The movie was more about Steve crossing one million and Billy's vindication afterwards. Even though there were twist to make it look like it was always Billy and Steve just came along, the real plot of the story is what happened to Steve after crossing one million. IF I'm not mistaken, your score was still 895K at the time.

Historically they could have (should have) mentioned your accomplishment, but they seemed to be more focus on Steve's story about what happened after submitting his million point tape.

About the profiting, they were in the doc, provided wealth of information towards what the storyline was following, the main characters should have got paid.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:09 pm »
Tim. If someone from this forum or anyone else were to make a documentary of donkey kong now. Would you want to be in it? Would you want compensation or would you just be happy with getting your views across and getting your turn to speak to the world audience about how you were played by the documentary and how you were the real king of kong at the time?

I pretty much did that with Dwayne Richards a few years ago. Mainly I like to keep in the shadows and I never would've come foward or said anything from the start if I was not able to prove 100% with  the actual video tape and witness present that my score did happen.

I figured with this proof the KOK producers would make things right.......turns out that not only did the producers not care, but most of the gaming community ( with the exception of a few) didn't care either  and I was attacked anytime I spoke out about it.

Basicaly the only thing I'm asking is compensation for the wrong doing and disenfranchisement I was a victim of. Seth Gordan is lucky I did not come from a wealthy family or I would've sued  a few years ago...and quite frankly would've won.
I've done nothing but shread any kind of argument against my facts for 6 years..........and will continue to do so.

Not sure if I really need any more media attention.........not that I mind it, but its not something I want to actively seek. There's a lot of really good players that have spawned in the last few years I've been frozen in carbonite and I doubt I'll ever get the high score again as I no longer have access to an actual DK game......................and Dean has pretty much ended the pressing limits with 1,200,000 recently on Mame.

On Mame, if I have a good game and can bring it home, (l=22) I may be able to place between Vince Ross or Hank if I'm lucky.

Billy stated if you want to attach your name to a score and written into the record books, you have to pay the price...I've been paying that price for the last 13 years and its mentally exhausting :/

I was referring to a statement you made after scoring 1,024,000 and said this was done on a real machine not a hacked board, with "hacked board" referring to the previous arguements against steve.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 04:00:58 am »
Have you given any thought about coming to Denver next month Tim? I know a lot of people would like to hang out and chat with you, have a beer, play some games...etc.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 08:09:17 am »
Well it now looks like I was dead on the money.  Not only was I right, but it was worse than I thought.  So yes, Dean did not get any worldwide press.  This was expected.  Dean did not get any Nationwide press.  This was also expected.  Dean did not get Kataku press.  This was expected by some including myself.  Dean did not get any Twin Galaxies press.  Again I was expecting this.  Dean did not get any press from "The Entertainer".  Again I was expecting that.  What I was not expecting is that the 1.2 million game would not get any attention from the Donkey Kong blogspot.  That one surprised me since the 1.2 million was so important in the writings.

So what does this mean?  It means that Brian Allen's killscreen MAME game that he failed to submit to Twin Galaxies got more press than Dean's 1.2 million.  So my friends it's time to stick your heads in the sand, and pretend this really isn't a problem.   See I know one thing.  Like most hobbies, most of you are CONFORMISTS.   Generally being a conformist is a good thing.  But in this situation you wanting to not rock the boat, and keep things copacetic is one of the few times when being a conformist is a bad thing.

I wish there were more people like me who could take a stand and actually speak up when they see something that is completely screwed up to the nth degree.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:24:58 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 09:08:37 am »
George, if you ask all the players (and Hank addressed this in his interview last night with Allen) if they care about any sort of fame or news coverage...most would probably say they don't care.  So, in the end, it really doesn't matter.  Most play to challenge themselves, beat the machine, and belong to the community.

Like Hank said in the interview...you should be playing League of Legends or StarCraft (Or Call of Duty)...games like that, with much more of a fan base...if you want money/fame.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 09:16:52 am »
George, if you ask all the players (and Hank addressed this in his interview last night with Allen) if they care about any sort of fame or news coverage...most would probably say they don't care.  So, in the end, it really doesn't matter.  Most play to challenge themselves, beat the machine, and belong to the community.

Like Hank said in the interview...you should be playing League of Legends or StarCraft (Or Call of Duty)...games like that, with much more of a fan base...if you want money/fame.

This not about fame, its about justice.  About what is right, and about what is wrong.  I spoke up when it was announced the MAME players were getting the shaft at the upcoming Kong Off.  You don't understand the greater implications of why they gave Brian Allen the attention.  They gave him the attention to give this Donkey Kong community the middle finger.  They are ignoring Dean's accomplishment because they are giving the middle finger to this community.

This is why I am upset.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:36 am »
Oh ok, I kinda understand now.  Your other post pointed out a bunch of media outlets, I didn't know you were focused mainly on TG. 

Maybe you could elaborate a little on "You don't understand the greater implications of why they gave Brian Allen the attention."?

In the end...this issue you brought up will only bother you if you let it...and I would guess that I don't think Dean cares if someone wanted to interview him or not.  I know I wouldn't care one way or the other.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2013, 09:45:25 am »
Oh ok, I kinda understand now.  Your other post pointed out a bunch of media outlets, I didn't know you were focused mainly on TG. 

Maybe you could elaborate a little on "You don't understand the greater implications of why they gave Brian Allen the attention."?

In the end...this issue you brought up will only bother you if you let it...and I would guess that I don't think Dean cares if someone wanted to interview him or not.  I know I wouldn't care one way or the other.

I have not talked to Dean, but have you thought about the fact that maybe he is not speaking up because he might be perceived as whiner?  Just sayin'.  If Dean spoke up there is a chance this community would grill him over that.

Why am I speaking up like this?  Because I will tell you why.  Because I can possibly see a future in 20 years where a new set of players come onto the scene.  They will ask the question.  Why didn't anyone speak out against the screwed up things that were happening at the time like the MAME players getting the shaft, and people ignoring Dean's 1.2 million game?  I want to be one of the few that can proudly stand up, and say.  I did, I spoke up, and I spoke loudly.  I just happened to be in the extreme minority that was willing to stand up against this injustice.

You see I will stand up for what I see as a great injustice in this community.  Something that not only hurts one player, but hurts the community at large.  This is wrong, you know it's wrong, and almost all of us know this is wrong.  But I am one of the few that is willing to stand up, and voice their opinion on the matter.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2013, 09:48:34 am »
So my friends it's time to stick your heads in the sand, and pretend this really isn't a problem.   See I know one thing.  Like most hobbies, most of you are CONFORMISTS.   

I guess I'm not understanding this. What makes you think that most of us don't notice that it's an issue? Speaking for myself, I see it pretty much the way you do, but what exactly would you suggest that we do about it that would actually change things? Also, I  disagree with the 'conformists' label. A conformist doesn't enjoy 30 year old games while taking all the slings and arrows that this community does. It's definitely not what the "cool kid" cliques are doing. I play them because I love the games.

EDIT: Okay, I see you posted the solution is to 'speak up'. I guess my thoughts may be a bit biased since I personally could care less about any attention. Anyone involved with trying me to do any 'interviews' will tell you there is A LOT of arm-twisting and frustration involved getting me to agree to do them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:00:13 am by marky_d »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2013, 09:49:46 am »
I think the situation with Dean (or in Hank's case with the arcade), is they both have been on top so long. Dean has already amazed people years ago, and as he continues it's just addition or an extention of what already happened.

For example, in the NFL, When Drew Brees broke Johnny Unitas' record for consecutive games with a touchdown pass, it was big news because the record stood 40 years. But as the weeks continued and he kept adding TD's to the record, that part is not as much of a big deal.

And to be honest, outside the DK community, the number 1.2M doesn't register with the public. The word "world record" registers, but he already had that on MAME.