Author Topic: Jumpman vs. Mario  (Read 7715 times)

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
Re: Jumpman vs. Mario
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 02:16:13 pm »
Patrick Scott Patterson: "Pretty neat... but it still bugs me that so many people claim Mario was called Jumpman when Donkey Kong was released. Not true... as can be seen on the very sales flyer that introduced the game."

Any response from those that herald that he was originally called Jumpman?

Mine: Read the instruction sticker on the machine.

Agreed! The stickers on the game state Jumpman. DK was never meant to be as successful as it became so a "real" name was not christened to the character at its initial release.

I imagine when the game became popular and more DK units were produced, the name "Mario" was given, however I doubt nintendo wanted to spend the extra expense to re-print the instructions just to make a name correction.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »
Here's a link to mine and PSP's discussion on the issue. Anyone that want's to add thoughts is welcome!
https://www.facebook.com/jdlowe/posts/10151776987968143?comment_id=28690432&offset=0&total_comments=23&notif_t=share_reply
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 03:13:13 pm »

For the record, I was the lone "Mario" vote, and not because I believed it was correct.

I've always considered "Jumpman" to be an unimaginative choice, even worse than "guy" (at least Guy is a real name).  It's as if they were all sitting around, when someone suddenly said, "Hey!  We need a name for the main character."  So somebody else spent about 15 seconds scribbling on a napkin, showed it to the rest of the group, and they said, "Yeah, let's go with that.  Anything else we need to cover?  Ok, another round over here!"

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Zetherman

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 01:58:49 am »
i voted jumpman since it's on the stickers and in the manual itself. flyers can easily be changed once the game takes off. he was originally intended to be jumpman, obviously.