Author Topic: I need help with Donkey Kong arcade US Set 1  (Read 14386 times)

jbeannie05

I need help with Donkey Kong arcade US Set 1
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:28:51 pm »
I need to what I should do next time to be better at the game. My inp files and emulator is on this website. I am number 94 on this website it should say jbeannie05. http://replay.marpirc.net/r/dkong Can anyone convert those inp files to anything I could upload on youtube.com?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:30:50 pm by jbeannie05 »

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
Re: I need help with Donkey Kong arcade US Set 1
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
Hi jbeannie,

To convert an inp to a video you need to play it back while using a screen capture program. I use Camstudio.

For gameplay tips , check out the Basic Donkey Kong Strategy section of the forum, especially Corey's DK Training Videos.

Also check out some live streams of people playing DK listed at the top of the forum under "Active Streamers".

And feel free to ask any specific questions about areas you are having trouble in.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline Martin Laing

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:34 am »
Replay Capture Video works well and is easy to use; converting to avi or mpg is great for reviewing sections of a game.

How does one get their Twitch stream listed on the "active streamers?"
1st New Zealander to achieve a kill screen
Donkey Kong (MAME Points) - 1026800 (Kill Screen)
Donkey Kong (MAME No Hammer) - 282700
Donkey Kong (MAME Lvl 1-1) - 11000
Far Cry 2 is the best game
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:17:47 am »
How does one get their Twitch stream listed on the "active streamers?"

Hi Martin,

You can post a reply in this topic:

List of DK Streamers

Include your name and Twitch/Justin stream URL, and Jeff will add you to the list.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

jbeannie05

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:44:59 pm »
This is a video of me on youtube playing Donkey Kong US Set 1. I need to know what I could of done to be better at this game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qerJIvzwZxQ . I was really stoked that I got a reply from JCHarrist. To me your like a Donkey Kong Video Game celebrity. It was very cool to get a reply from you. I saw your Donkey Kong killscreen video on youtube. Very cool stuff. Sorry about the video sound, it's messed up.

corey.chambers

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:03:58 am »
If you would like I can watch more later, but I would highly recommend that you watch my training videos. Also see my youtube channel DonkeyKongGenius. Note the links on the High Score list. Watch lots and lots of videos. Watch my killscreen game for basic top hammer, my million game for some bottom hammer as well. Just keep watching videos, where mario stands, the moments he goes up ladders, where the barrels are, etc. I watched your level 1-1. I would recommend never touching the bottom hammer, just learn the top hammer for now. Standing uphill of a ladder is a good idea so that you can steer the barrels down and away from you. On the 4th girder, you can position mario just to the left of the small ladder on the far left and when a barrel goes over then sneak up to the top. Once you grab that top hammer make sure you wait for kong to roll a barral before you walk to the right, keep the head just under kong's right foot, that is your right, and sneak over passed kong's broken ladder when kong is about to roll a barrel so you get passed the ladder before the barrel does and you will be far enough to the right before the next barrel is possibly thrown at you head, this is especially true of level 2 and 3, and 4 if only top hammer. Stay to the right don't go back to the left of the ladder at all. I will write more later.

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:02 am »
I will reiterate one thing Corey said...

Don't touch the bottom hammer!

Just run the boards, and get to know the game... bottom hammer is way to risky for a beginner player.  Also, if you aren't already, sign up for a Twitch account and subscribe to as many DK players as you can find.  Watch others stream regularly, and stream yourself (if you need help with this, there are many here who can help you).

Welcome to DK Forums!

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

corey.chambers

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 09:48:49 am »
After watching your first rivet, I definitely recommend, nay require you, to watch my Rivet Training Video :P

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:18:54 pm »
I was really stoked that I got a reply from JCHarrist. To me your like a Donkey Kong Video Game celebrity.

;D

He's a celebrity to us all...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

jbeannie05

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »
I have a new Donkey Kong youtube video. I wonder what I could have done better. MAME Donkey Kong US set 1 New High Score 26,500

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 05:41:21 pm »
I was really stoked that I got a reply from JCHarrist. To me your like a Donkey Kong Video Game celebrity.

;D

He's a celebrity to us all...

Maybe I should start a Facebook fan page.  ;D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 05:48:01 pm »
I have a new Donkey Kong youtube video. I wonder what I could have done better.

There's no need to stand at the top and jump all those single barrels. The bonus timer counts down 100 points for every barrel Kong releases , so at best you are breaking even.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 05:00:38 am »
Your hairstyle sort of reminds me of the Alien Ant Farm singer circa 2002.

Alien Ant Farm - Attitude
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

jbeannie05

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:21 pm »
I have new Donkey Kong youtube video. What could I of done better? MAME Donkey Kong US set 1 New High Score 47,200

corey.chambers

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 07:32:01 pm »
Your rivets are looking better. A few tips:
1) Don't get all the prizes, don't worry about those at all.
2) When on level 2 rivet wait to grab the top hammer until something starts to come up or down to your position, this will ensure that you get at least that one firefox.
3) As soon as the hammer ran out you should have ran right and went up that ladder instead of jumping over, you had plenty of time.
4) Then as you know you messed up the Star pattern on your second attempt on level 2 rivet.
5) Your level 3 barrel stage took too long for just running the boards. You can control the barrels down the ladders by a joystick input towards the ladder when the barrel is over top of it. It is more technical than this but in an overly simplified model:

Percentage chance of controlling barrels:
Level 1 Barrel 25%
Level 2 Barrel 50%
Level 3 and 4 Barrel roughly 50%-75%
Level 5+ 75%

Get in the habit of steering those barrels down and away from you.

6) Another note is when to grab the top hammer on the barrel stage, if you are positioned under the hammer and a barrel comes to you, if it is at or to the right of the kong's ladder then jump and grab the hammer, otherwise wait.
7) On the conveyor, always stay to the left of the oil drum until all the fireballs come out and then proceed to try to make it up the right, if fireballs are on the platform then grab the hammer.
8) You died on the conveyor because you should have just gone up the ladder on the right up to the platform. This is just due to the lack of experience and being open to multiple possibilities. And watch out for that conveyor change, this occurs every time Kong gets to the far left side of the screen.
9) I will say again, don't worry about prizes, just skip all of them for now.
10) Even though there are a few spots where you can walk off an elevator onto a platform, NEVER do this! No body does this, it requires too much precision and is not worth it. Watch my killscreen game and see how I handle the elevator stage. Mimic me even if you don't understand it yet: Donkey Kong Killscreen Game 893,800

Watching games is the only way to do it. I can help here and there but you have to do all the work. Watch games and practice a lot.

Read This: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong/Walkthrough
Watch the first 10 mins of this video: Donkey Kong Barrel Training Video Part 1
Watch this video done by Shane: http://www.twitch.tv/shane_nc/c/2880555

Play some more. We will get you to 100K in no time :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:35:38 pm by corey.chambers »