Author Topic: I thought I was good on Donkey Kong but then.....  (Read 12334 times)

arnthestampede

I thought I was good on Donkey Kong but then.....
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:01:44 am »
I found this forum and realised I actually suck at DK in comparison to a lot of players on here! This is my first post after lurking around the past week, its a great forum with some great info!

I've been playing more DK recently and my current high score is 244,000 (which I thought was good!) now I am determined to keep pushing it up and eventually get a kill screen. I seem to lose most of my men on either a Pie Factory that screws me from the start or when on the 4th girder of the Barrel board and I get a horrible barrel grouping which I can't avoid, or the fireballs just hunt me down.

My next goal is the 300K mark, which I hope to achieve by next week, I keep pushing little by little so fingers crossed.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: I thought I was good on Donkey Kong but then.....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:14:53 am »
welcome to the forums :D
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:30:26 am »
Welcome to DKF. 200k isnt that bad of a score in reality... easily in 99% percentile of anyone that ever played the game, considering how popular it was in arcades. It might seem like a bad score compared to the 100 best players in the world, but its a great foundation and if you hang around long enough you will be in the 500k+ range in no time.
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:44:53 am »
With all the information available on this forum, you should be able to crack 500K like it's nothing, with some time, especially if you stream your games. People will usually coach you on what to do if they see you're doing it wrong, so it's quite helpful.

Welcome to the forums! I love seeing new faces in the CAG community.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:49:11 am by Kyou-kun »
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

arnthestampede

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:25 am »
Thanks. I intend to keep going and try the 500k. I didn't really know much about streaming games until coming across this forum, its something I will look into, thanks.

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:24:10 am »
welcome to teh community. good luck on your future games! love it
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:46 am »
Thanks. I intend to keep going and try the 500k. I didn't really know much about streaming games until coming across this forum, its something I will look into, thanks.

Once you reach 500k, you will want a kill screen, once you reach a kill screen, you will want 1m, then 1.1m, then 1.15m, then 1.2m, then who knows what you will want.

DK is a never ending cycle  ;)
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:04 am »
I've been playing more DK recently and my current high score is 244,000 (which I thought was good!)

Welcome!  Don't underestimate yourself.  244K is a great score especially if you've been learning in isolation. 

When I first met John Salter he asked me what I considered a "good" score.  I told him if I'm out randomnly at barcade, then 100K is a good score.  I saw a young woman get past the 3rd elevator at Barcade the other day and I was flabbergasted.  Now that you are here, I'm sure your scores will shoot up quickly!

konghusker

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:22 am »
Welcome. I think that's a good score already. I know many people who would want a good score like that. Welcome.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:42 am »
Welcome! Always a great group of folks here to harass and help you at the same time! (J/K this is a great community). Typically a lot folks streaming and world record holders here on lots of games! You will be surprised :)

Dan
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

arnthestampede

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:50:50 pm »
For people with the experience, what sort of time frame am I looking at to make the jump from 200k to 500k? I know everyone is different but what were your experiences? I'm playing most days but I'm inconsistent. Today I only hit 170k on my first game then had a few around the 150k mark. I'm aiming to beat my high score everyday, however today I just wasn't in "the zone"

Drunkguy89

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »
Progression varies from person to person,
Some have jumped from 200 to 500 in a couple of weeks others months,
it really depends on how much time you put in either practicing or just playing,

although im not sure if there is an "average" time scale for when someone should progress from score to score as it depends eg. ( Those with families/work commitments) are likly to progress slower due to just not having the time to play.... (at least not as offten as they would like)

so its best to set your own goals around your personal circumstances and however much available time you have to spend on improving/playing.

good luck.

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 02:33:18 pm »
I am a husband and father of four, and work 12 hour nights 3-4 nights per week.  In April, my high score was 215k.  I started streaming live in April, and reached 555k in August.  So about five months to make the jump for me.  Unfortunately, I'm still 'stuck' at 555k. :| :)  Good luck to you, and welcome to DKF!

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 05:03:39 pm »
For people with the experience, what sort of time frame am I looking at to make the jump from 200k to 500k? I know everyone is different but what were your experiences? I'm playing most days but I'm inconsistent. Today I only hit 170k on my first game then had a few around the 150k mark. I'm aiming to beat my high score everyday, however today I just wasn't in "the zone"

Here is a link to my blog, the first post is ripe with data regarding time between score increases, ave points gained per increase, etc.    https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=270.msg4244#msg4244 
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
It depends what is your definition of "good".

Personally, a "good" score would be in the 500k range.
a "great" score would be in the kill screen range
A very good score above 1m
An awesome score above 1.1m
An incredible score at exactly 1,135,900
A godlike score at 1,139,600
And a Chuck Norris Super Kick score at 1,186,700
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer