Author Topic: HELP ME!  (Read 6552 times)

James Bradley

HELP ME!
« on: September 07, 2013, 03:32:09 am »
Hey, not a lot of you know but at the moment I am trying to get the youngest ever killscreen In DK, although I am so far from getting it. That's why I've started this thread so people will hopefully give me useful tips to increase my skill level (Please :P). Thank you to anyone that helps me accomplish my mission Kappa. The faster I get this the harder it will be for anyone to follow it!

PS.

I am 14 and my score at the moment is 390k :)

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
Re: HELP ME!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:39:59 am »
Ok here is a full barrel strategy guide.

http://www.twitch.tv/shane_nc/c/2880555

I could give you tips for rivets/pies, but it is a lot easier to show you on stream with save states sometimes. Drop me a line when you got some time or when Im streaming and I will show you some stuff for sure. Imo , the barrel video is basically all you need to know to KS, I probably should have put more emphasis on straight jumping 4th girder ( no long jumps)

(springs is all save state practice and repitition and your springs look really good)
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:19:33 am »
if playing just for a killscreen i like favouring the long ladder under kong and skipping the top hammer, i think its the safest way to play the barrels...

g'luck dude...

8)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:23:32 am »
I am 14 and my score at the moment is 390k :)

When I was 14 my score was nonexistent, as the game wasn't released until 9 years later.   :(

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:34:12 am »
am 14 and my score at the moment is 390k

This is a good score mate! You will be able to kill screen within a month or two if you dedicate yourself to this fking sh*t game  ;). The only thing I can give you is to always remain calm when you play Donkey Kong, even when you die, even when there are bad randomness. You can't always control your deaths, but you can always control your emotions (no homo).

Good luck mate, 14 years old would be a cool age to kill screen this game  ;)
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:38:01 am »
Fast Eddie, I have noticed in some situations when skipping the top hammer you must perform an early straight jump when the barrel that comes off the ledge and the barrel comes down the ladder before the ledge group together. In this situation, it is actually a lot more dangerous to skip the top hammer. However, when this grouping doesn;t occur it is just as safe as using a proper top hammer technique in my opinion. The thing is, during the course of a game you will inevitably have to early straight jump this combo 5+ times easily. To me this is way way way too risky. However, if you focus on steering barrels on the top down the broken ladder you could create a safer girder to skip the top hammer on, although I personally have never tried this exact technique.
HIGH SCORES:

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 07:07:24 am »
I actually tried the techique, Eddie, It actually works very well with the proper steers you can avoid that situation entirely, I may even change my KS strategy to incorporate this. Thanks for mentioning this, any tips you could give for using this technique?
HIGH SCORES:

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:41:27 am »
Fast Eddie, I have noticed in some situations when skipping the top hammer you must perform an early straight jump when the barrel that comes off the ledge and the barrel comes down the ladder before the ledge group together. In this situation, it is actually a lot more dangerous to skip the top hammer. However, when this grouping doesn;t occur it is just as safe as using a proper top hammer technique in my opinion. The thing is, during the course of a game you will inevitably have to early straight jump this combo 5+ times easily. To me this is way way way too risky. However, if you focus on steering barrels on the top down the broken ladder you could create a safer girder to skip the top hammer on, although I personally have never tried this exact technique.

Actually, if you place jump man closer to the top right ladder (so you have enough room to do this, but not too close that you can't even react), you can always just back jump the first barrel, then standing jump the second (or front jump). The back jump may even end up steering the next barrel released.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:34:01 am »
hi Shane, yeah there is a trade off between the lesser risk of not grabbing the hammer vs slightly more risk transitioning to the last short ladder, but overall i think its still safer to skip the hammer...

personally i prefer to get out from under kong as fast as poss and deal with the x__x combo, rather than try to set up steers to avoid it altogether, when i climb the long ladder ill normally move right straight away and jump right to try to avoid steering the x__x. but i think there are times when this isnt poss and ill just go ahead and run right and steer the x__x, as Mitch says if you get some distance from the long ladder you have the option of backjumping one of the two barrels...

8)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:12:03 am »
OK, here are the two biggest things you need to know to improve your game. 

1) Donkey Kong's barrels are weak sauce after level 5.  For instance you can climb up the long ladder every single time without getting hit by his wild barrel.  Even if you think it's going to hit you, it won't.   Also do not fear his wild barrels after level 5 most of the time they are extremely easy to avoid.

2) Wait till right until Donkey Kong releases his barrel to go up the short ladder.  Again do not be afraid of his weak sauce wild barrels.  The odds are much greater to getting hit by a wild barrel by not waiting, than getting killed because of a wild barrel by waiting.  So use patience before going up the short ladder to get that upper hammer.

If you keep these two things in mind your game will improve tremendously.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

corey.chambers

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 10:31:32 am »
Check out the Want to learn how to play Donkey Kong section of the High Score List. https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=366.0 The three training videos are good, and the walkthrough.