Author Topic: I think I broke the record for most boards on last man without a killscreen!  (Read 8663 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
I might be wrong, but I think I just broke the record for the most boards for last man, and NOT hitting a killscreen LOL

OK, the night before on my last game I got 667,700 points, and than following that I lost my third man on board 5-1.  I was thinking, OK lets see if I can go a couple of levels off my last man.  Well than it happened.   I went to level 21-4 on that last man.  I know Dave McCrary went to the killscreen from level 5 on his last man, but I don't know if anyone has actually hit 99 boards in a row on their last man without hitting the killscreen.

So what of it?  Is this a record for most boards on a last man without hitting a killscreen?

P.S.  My final score was 851,500 which of course blows my 690,500 score out of the water! 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

Congrats!  There's a potential Donkey Kong killscreen....

That's a horrible way to end the game... 21-4.  I know the first time I reached 21-4 my hands were shaking.

Anyhow I'm not a big fan of the longest first/last/2nd/3rd man records, etc.  They're somewhat meaningless because there have been several 1st man killscreens going all the way back to Scott Kessler.  I've personally never done it, but I'm sure if I dedicated a week to running boards I could complete the whole game on my 1st/last/any man.  I hardly run boards anymore, but in my early days of playing, my longest streak was 2-2 (yes I died on 2-2 trying to learn how to leech the fireball) to 21-5 (where I intentionally sac'ed 2 men).

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
Congrats that is really impressive! Great job George!
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Great job George!
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Congrats!  There's a potential Donkey Kong killscreen....

That's a horrible way to end the game... 21-4.  I know the first time I reached 21-4 my hands were shaking.

Anyhow I'm not a big fan of the longest first/last/2nd/3rd man records, etc.  They're somewhat meaningless because there have been several 1st man killscreens going all the way back to Scott Kessler.  I've personally never done it, but I'm sure if I dedicated a week to running boards I could complete the whole game on my 1st/last/any man.  I hardly run boards anymore, but in my early days of playing, my longest streak was 2-2 (yes I died on 2-2 trying to learn how to leech the fireball) to 21-5 (where I intentionally sac'ed 2 men).

To be honest I am not that upset, and I think this game will actually mean more to me than an actual killscreen.  I rather go 99 boards in a row on my last man, than to get a killscreen.  Now if this had been 99 boards in a row on my first man, and I failed to get a killscreen,  than yeah I would be extremely frustrated, but because I did it on my last man, I am over the moon happy.   I mean I would have been OK with me getting to level 7, and consider that a decent run for my last man.   Plus I am in the top 50, and I just past a whole bunch of amazing luminaries like Brian Kuh, Mitchell Elliot, Stella Blue, and Stephen Boyer.

I went from 63rd place to 46th place!  How could I be upset at that? 8)

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Wow! Awesome job, George! It won't be long until you get a KS and then you can work towards that illustrious 1m+ and finally have over 1m on each of the main DK games! GL on your further attempts!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:02:03 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Congratulations, George!

Let's take a step back to June 21st, shortly after announcing your (at the time) 603,500 personal best:

Most players' percentages decrease as their scores increase.  Yours almost doubled.  Also, the number of elapsed days from one personal best to the next dropped from 58 to 28 (or 51.7%).  This means that you're due for a new high score of 780,300 on July 4th.  Please make this happen, so it looks like I know what I'm talking about.   :)
Ok, my prediction of 07/04 was overly optimistic, but the average of today's score and your recent 690,500 submission on 08/20/13 is 771,000 (within 10K of my calculated value).

Regarding the forecast of future DK achievements, who is the forum's most highly decorated talent scout?

Plus I am in the top 50, and I just past a whole bunch of amazing luminaries like Brian Kuh, Mitchell Elliot, Stella Blue, and Stephen Boyer.

I went from 63rd place to 46th place!  How could I be upset at that? 8)
I appreciate the compliment, but I consider myself an average luminary at best.   ;)

Brian Kuh is not (as far as I know) a forum member, Mitch is preoccupied with miscellaneous DK challenges and other gaming goals, and I have no idea whether Stephen Boyer is actively playing.  So I guess it's up to me to bump you from 46th to 47th.  In the interest of community-driven competition, you understand that I must now make an all-out effort to do just that.   :)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:34:16 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards

Ok, my prediction of 07/04 was overly optimistic, but the average of today's score and your recent 690,500 submission on 08/20/13 is 771,000 (within 10K of my calculated value).

You know Stella a statement you made helped me get over 800,000.  You said once with words to the effect of "Once you get into the house of the 700k club, you get stuck there for some time."   What better way of not getting stuck in the 700k club by not even visiting, and going straight to the 800k house!

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
You know Stella a statement you made helped me get over 800,000.  You said once with words to the effect of "Once you get into the house of the 700k club, you get stuck there for some time."   What better way of not getting stuck in the 700k club by not even visiting, and going straight to the 800k house!
Yeah, the "House of 700K Blues" is the black hole of DK.

Give me a minute to dig up my earlier quote . . .

A word of warning, though:  Once you've entered the "House of 700k Blues", leaving is no simple matter.  Mitch and I have both been trying to find a way out.  Every time we get close to the exit, the bouncer comes over and tells us to sit down and shut up.   :(
Not much has changed.  The rent is dirt cheap and my room has a nice view, but I'm anxious to say goodbye to that place and never look back.

By the way, I'm just about to verify your 851K game.  Once the playback has completed, I'll post your stats in the  Score Submissions  thread.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
That "700K blues" thing is interesting. It has definitely not been my experience!

I have close to two dozen games that ended in the 600Ks, and eight games that have crossed 700K.  Of those, only two (both ending in the 700s) were NOT kill screens, and I've actually never gotten to 800 without finishing. Which is nice, because how agonizing is THAT??

Personally, if I cross 700K, if I can just bust through those bastard 600s, I put on my shades and start attituding because I know I'm going all the way.  8)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:07:15 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: I think I broke the record for most boards on last man without a killscreen!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 02:17:37 pm »
Congratulations.

I know the feeling of level 21 losses.

I don't think I've killscreened since my 1,015,000 game on 12/30/11. All my games have been close to 1.1M attempts that fell short. But, once you get that first one , it is a big monkey off your back.

About the 700K thing, I sort of agree....was stuck there for a while, then got a killscreen at 914K, then another at 998K, for a while I never had one game end in the 800K's, until KO2 I think.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

Re: I think I broke the record for most boards on last man without a killscreen!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 02:46:19 pm »
What a poser  ;D

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:50:24 pm »
good stuff, george! love it
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:06:28 pm »
Mitch is preoccupied with miscellaneous DK challenges and other gaming goals... So I guess it's up to me to bump you from 46th to 47th.

No more challenges for me until I KS. Best of luck bumping George (and Brian) before I do! ;)

I'll be streaming tonight and this weekend towards this end.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »
Gee thanks! Ill be out of the top 50 now. Lol. Great job. Did you record? I'd love to watch this run
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer