Author Topic: What Is Your Goal For WCQ #3? EDIT: OR By the Kong Off 3?  (Read 16860 times)

Munteanfo

Re: What Is Your Goal For WCQ #3? EDIT: OR By the Kong Off 3?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 02:07:01 pm »
Dean should've gone to Oprah for his 1,186,700.

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 03:05:05 pm »
Yea that is strange.  I mean every time the DK arcade WR is broken, every news channel covers the story...heck there was news coverage for Steve Wiltshire going to the KO2 as a wildcard...but nothing at all for Dean's latest score.

You have to be careful to not mistake the occasional 2 minutes of drive-by mainstream gawking at competitive DK for people actually caring who has the highest score. Because they don't. They're tickled by the idea that DK is played competitively, and that's what the point of the stories are. Nobody outside of the community actually cares about the state of the competition or who has the highest score(s) at the moment, except for those who just finished watching KoK and want to check in and see where Billy and Steve are since the movie.

Competitive DK is interesting to people, in a "wht da?" sort of way. You have the nostalgia/familiarity element, where everybody remembers the game from their childhood and throwing in quarters to play it for five minutes at a time, and, hey, weird, look at that, now you have these guys reviving this now-ancient game in competitions, going for hours on a quarter.

Hank made the news the first time he broke the record because the movie was somewhat recent and very popular, and Hank is interesting because he doesn't really fit the profile of a typical gamer. So it was "wow, this doctor came out of nowhere and beat the guys from the movie!" and that was the angle.

I don't know the circumstances, but I would say that Steve got on his local TV because they saw a fun human-interest story in it. (Actually, if ANY of us going to the KO wanted to push our local news we'd stand a pretty good chance of getting in there - DK/KO really works as a cool curiosity because of that universal familiarity.)

But again, you have to understand the true nature of public interest in DK and how/why it gets attention when it does. I'll put it this way: there were dozens of mainstream stories on the Kong Offs. How many stories were there about the results of the Kong Offs? The story isn't "who won the Donkey Kong tournament", the story is that a Donkey Kong tournament happened.

Dean beating himself by 20K (on an emulator) is not something anyone in the real world would even understand, let alone have the slightest bit of interest in reading about. To be a story, there'd need to be something else to it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:16:16 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

lakeman421

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:26 pm »
August I was going for the record, but most of the time was spent trying to learn how to up my pace and I feel like I could make a run at it.  But at this point since I am the bottom of the top 12, I will probably just go for 1.04 to secure my spot.  If I do that soon I will be back to going for the record again.

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 03:20:46 pm »
Dean should've gone to Oprah for his 1,186,700.

oprah hype Kreygasm
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »
I don't know the circumstances, but I would say that Steve got on his local TV because they saw a fun human-interest story in it. (Actually, if ANY of us going to the KO wanted to push our local news we'd stand a pretty good chance of getting in there - DK/KO really works as a cool curiosity because of that universal familiarity.)

Yeah, I actually have a card of a local news reporter in my wallet that I once talked with at Rusty Quarters about DK and the competitive CAG scene for over an hour. He was pretty interested in doing a story on me at the time, and he wanted me to call him next time I tried to qualify for the KOs so that he could do a news-piece on it. However, I'm gonna hold off and call him once I do something more extraordinary. ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 05:06:45 pm »

Yeah, I actually have a card of a local news reporter in my wallet that I once talked with at Rusty Quarters about DK and the competitive CAG scene for over an hour. He was pretty interested in doing a story on me at the time, and he wanted me to call him next time I tried to qualify for the KOs so that he could do a news-piece on it. However, I'm gonna hold off and call him once I do something more extraordinary. ;)

mitch story hype Kreygasm

love it
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 05:44:51 pm »

mitch story hype Kreygasm

love it

I guess you could say that I'm point-pressing my eventual news report!  ;D
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »
youll still only have 1 story about you. youre no brian allen 8)

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 06:12:39 pm »

Make sure the reporter clearly understands that your name is not "Mario Mitch".   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline alumbrada

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:40 pm »
I have a lofty goal to be on the DKF HSL by KO3. I don't care if I'm the last score, I just want that 300K! I think I can achieve it as long as I make a good effort to play most days of the week.
DK high score: 89,100
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 07:28:44 am »
I have a lofty goal to be on the DKF HSL by KO3. I don't care if I'm the last score, I just want that 300K! I think I can achieve it as long as I make a good effort to play most days of the week.

I like your chances, Katie.  Given where your high score is at the moment, you've been battling the most difficult barrel boards in the game.  Once you reach Level 05, you'll have a much easier time dealing with those stages.  The normal barrels are more controllable at that point (you can steer them out of your way), and the wild barrels are predictable.

You'll face a more difficult challenge with the L05+ conveyors and rivets.  The fire objects move much more quickly, and you'll encounter screens where they stubbornly refuse to cooperate.  However, unless you experience a run of horrible luck, it shouldn't be too bad.  Be patient, and don't panic.

Good luck!

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:47 am »
 L=22 at a non-poser pace PogChamp  :'(
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 10:32:13 am »
don't panic.
Hitchhiker's Guide reference?

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 12:20:15 pm »

I guess so, albeit an unintentional one.

I actually had to google "hitchhiker's guide" and "don't panic" to discover the connection.

There, it's out in the open:  I'm a science fiction poser.   8)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:46 pm »

I guess so, albeit an unintentional one.

I actually had to google "hitchhiker's guide" and "don't panic" to discover the connection.

There, it's out in the open:  I'm a science fiction poser.   8)

I read "The Neuromancer" my freshman year of college during Physics class.  Total champion.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener