Author Topic: life after the "Kill Screen"  (Read 6840 times)

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
life after the "Kill Screen"
« on: August 26, 2013, 01:44:13 am »
There was a good artical here using a tactic to climb through ladders using rapid up/down joystick movement in hopes of clearing L=22-1. (BurgerTime has a similar trick, when tapping the joystick up in rapid fashon, Peter Pepper climbs the ladders faster than normal.....for you BurgerTime fans)

I tried this DK ladder trick and with a joystick,its tough on the wrist but do-able, however even when done flawlessly there still is not enough time to reach the top before the Kill Screen kicks in.

I'm sure some of you already know  this but to those that  don't, the DK L=22-1 Kill screen is clearable.....when using the original Japan set 3 roms.

Level= 22-2 (pie factory) is clearable but does have a short timer and you cannot really play for points (Kill screen effect sets in when the bonus is abut 3600.

Level=22-3 (Elevator) is also clearable but again does have a short timer ..........The springs , or "spring" rather, are SUPER Slow..only "one" spring bounces out every few seconds.....nothing like L=4 and up.

Level=22-4 (Rivets)  This would be the actual "Kill Screen"....there is not enough time to pull all 8 rivets even if the foxfires were abscent....6 rivets is about it. When the  bonus timer reaches about 3600 the kill screen kicks in.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Killscreener

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
Re: life after the "Kill Screen"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:56:17 am »
That's pretty interesting I never knew that about the Japan Romset. I'm not sure if you have seen it but Jeff Harrist did a great video on mame where he demonstrated (i believe with frame advance and break down) a perfect climb up the broken ladder in combination with perfect barrel placement that he could move up in the air at a constant speed without stopping for barrels. Mario died Just short of the TOP.. was an epic video, hopefully someone will repost it.. It seems with 200 secs more on clock it would be clearable but HIGHLY HIGHLY improbable to pull off in a real setting on arcade or even mame.
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Martin Laing

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:04 am »
Awesome! A bit twilight zone.
1st New Zealander to achieve a kill screen
Donkey Kong (MAME Points) - 1026800 (Kill Screen)
Donkey Kong (MAME No Hammer) - 282700
Donkey Kong (MAME Lvl 1-1) - 11000
Far Cry 2 is the best game
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:06:22 am »
Use cheat.dat and mess around on L23-L30.

It gets even weirder...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:58:07 am »
That's pretty interesting I never knew that about the Japan Romset. I'm not sure if you have seen it but Jeff Harrist did a great video on mame where he demonstrated (i believe with frame advance and break down) a perfect climb up the broken ladder in combination with perfect barrel placement that he could move up in the air at a constant speed without stopping for barrels. Mario died Just short of the TOP.. was an epic video, hopefully someone will repost it.. It seems with 200 secs more on clock it would be clearable but HIGHLY HIGHLY improbable to pull off in a real setting on arcade or even mame.

Even if someone did pull it off, they  would have to do it 3 times,once for each barrel board. With a joystick I could barely get 1/4 of the way up on one try. Even then,the L=22-6 rivets would be the actual kill screen anyway.

just a thought..........if one is on a conveyor belt board and is delayed by a retracting ladder in the down position, this same maneuver might be usefull to climb up even when the ladder is down,   if it works on the retracting ladders?
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:00:47 am »
BurgerTime has a similar trick, when tapping the joystick up in rapid fashon, Peter Pepper climbs the ladders faster than normal.....for you BurgerTime fans

I'm gonna have to look into this!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:05:42 am »
Oh, you didn't know that Mitch? Yeah it's true!
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:11:30 am »
Awesome! However, I'm assuming it's not as practical as like revving the pedal is (or whatever the trick is to make you constantly go fast) that people use on Outrun. Or is it?
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:28:58 am »
Awesome! However, I'm assuming it's not as practical as like revving the pedal is (or whatever the trick is to make you constantly go fast) that people use on Outrun. Or is it?

Don't give me an excuse to talk about Sega Out Run.  You're opening the door at your own peril.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer