Author Topic: Seperating the posers from the actual champs  (Read 66994 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Seperating the posers from the actual champs
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2013, 03:01:10 pm »
I am an actual champ, I actually "earned" my place in the games history
... by running boards.

And yeah, you were once the King of Kong with a score of 879k. From today's criteria, this score is now shit, and it's been proven that everybody that care a little bit about the game can score higher than that (no offense to you and to any other kill screeners, it's obviously still an achievement, but it's still shit in my opinion, haha).

Im not a big fan of this comment, and coming from #2 in the world its not completely accurate in my opinion. less than 60 people on the planet has KSed DK, this isnt an "easy" accomplishment, and cannot simply be achieved by "caring a little bit about the game". Its kinda funny, but I have noticed a trend lately. The people downgrading the accomplishment of a KS are either in 1 of 2 categories :

1) You are one of the best players in the world with 4+ years of training under your belt and a highly selective memory, and more than a few KS under your belt.

2) You are currently a Non KSER player at 1m+ pace, trying to downplay the accomplishment of a board running KS so your 333K at 1.01m pace seems more significant.

------------------------
You guys really need to understand how this makes people feel going for a "lowly 860k KS" or someone that has been playing for a year and come up short. Its almost a complete undermining of their goal/accomplishment and I think that is kinda bullshit. You will never catch me saying a perfect pacman game is a SHIT ACCOMPLISHMENT beacuse its already been done by a lot of people.

It's really nice when someone wastes a year of their live trying to accomplish a goal, then a far superior player comes in and downgrades their accomplishment. Why would someone sink in all the time to accomplish a goal only for it to be regarded as shit?? Is that why me and allen are going for a KS, to be consiered SHIT by the only people in the world that understand this game.

Im guessing by this standard a 700k player is even less than shit.
It  implies the bottom 70 people on the HSL are all shit players, these are active people in our community with a love for the game and you compared them all to less than shit.

I love this community, but comments like this make me really reconsider some things.

Join the dark side!  Come over to the DKJr, and DK3 side! 8)  Join the community where you just deciding to join us makes your score an awesome score! 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2013, 03:25:05 pm »
Join the dark side!  Come over to the DKJr, and DK3 side! 8)  Join the community where you just deciding to join us makes your score an awesome score! 8)

dont listen to george. stanley's spray is starting to get to him. stick to dk ;)

youre the man tho george. love it yer buddy
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »
As Phil said, obviously I'm exagerating the facts (just like when I say bad things against Hank, that's obviously exagerating the facts!... well... that wasn't the best example! haha). Shane, you probably misinterpreted what I said, probably my fault for that.

I have always been cheering for new DK comers to kill screen Donkey Kong, since I know that a kill screen requires good skills (not exceptionnal skills, but definitely good skills). It definitely takes dedication, and I will always congratulate everyone that gets their first kill screen (in my opinion, getting your first DK kill screen is the best feeling someone can get, honestly. When I got my first kill screen, I had tears all over my face (no homo)). But for an elite player (which I consider Tim to be), a simple kill screen is obviously not that good (whether you did it before KoK or not) since I personally consider an elite player to be able to reach a DK kill screen 1 time out of 3 at least while JRTFBDN.

It would be cocky for me to say that reaching a DK kill screen is exceptional when I know that I could kill screen DK five times within a day. A kill screen is VERY good for a new DK comer, but just "meh, okay" for an "elite" player.

When you play DK at a 1.1m+ pace, you realize that a kill screen is only the first step of many. But like when you're a little baby, your first step will always be the most important step  ;). And ultimately, by using my language, I do consider my score as being a shit score compared to a REAL elite score. If Dean can push the game beyond 1.2m pace, then 1,135,900 is very far from it. I'm just the kind of guy that think that being 2nd means being the 1st loser (how ironic for me to say that! haha).

My point was only to compare a simple kill screen score to a high point pressing score for an elite player. Two different worlds. And I do apologize if I sounded mean against some people. As I said on Facebook:"When a kill screen is coming up, Vincent Lemay shows up!", that means I obviously give a shit about kill screens! haha  ;) ( I will stop using the word "shit", I think I don't always use it properly, lol).
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2013, 04:01:38 pm »
"It would be cocky for me to say that reaching a DK kill screen is exceptional when I know that I could kill screen DK five times within a day. A kill screen is VERY good for a new DK comer, but just "meh, okay" for an "elite" player."

But havent you been playing for years and years? And havent you put in just about more time than 99% of anyone who has ever played dk? With that taken into consideration, it doesn't surprise me in why you think this way. Of course DK IS EASY TO YOU. I'd would be shocking and semi pathetic if it wasnt, but this doesnt lessen the overall accomplishment just because you have taken the time and have personally gotten better. The game is just as hard as it was when you started playing, despite the fact you skill level has increased a ton. Only very few people in anything could be considered "elite"
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »
Like you said Shane, the more someone is good at DK, the less he seems to give "credits" to a kill screen (although I obviously give a lot of credits for someone that reaches a kill screen). When I first hit a kill screen, I thought I was the fking boss! haha. My mentality just changed when I started point pressing, and went from a 809k kill screen to a 1,135,900 kill screen. I can definitely say that when I got my first kill screen, I was nowhere near the level I am today (809k kill screen is fking low for a kill screen, haha). Obviously, back in the day they didn't have the same knowledge and competition we have today.

My point is that I consider my high score as a good score. Nothing more, nothing less. It's all about the perception someone has on a score.

Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2013, 04:46:55 pm »
Like you said Shane, the more someone is good at DK, the less he seems to give "credits" to a kill screen (although I obviously give a lot of credits for someone that reaches a kill screen). When I first hit a kill screen, I thought I was the fking boss! haha. My mentality just changed when I started point pressing, and went from a 809k kill screen to a 1,135,900 kill screen. I can definitely say that when I got my first kill screen, I was nowhere near the level I am today (809k kill screen is fking low for a kill screen, haha). Obviously, back in the day they didn't have the same knowledge and competition we have today.

My point is that I consider my high score as a good score. Nothing more, nothing less. It's all about the perception someone has on a score.

Hey, Vincent, do you remember when you wanted to get a tattoo of your 1.05 million game?   Could you imagine if you had done that considering where you are now? LOL

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2013, 05:05:53 pm »
I wanted to get a tattoo when I first got my DK kill screen, haha. I still kindda want to get a DK tattoo! We should all get the same DK tattoo. DK clique for the win! ;-)

lakeman421

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2013, 05:24:38 pm »
Tacos are delicious.  Can we all agree on that?

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2013, 11:16:07 pm »
Tim. Look at the bright side. You don't have to deal with anyone hating you for the documentary like Billy Mitchell deals with. This might be a blessing more than a snub inthat aspect. I posted before that Billy and Steve were probably the two at the time of filming that were really trying to push for the record to go up and that your score was omitted do to not wanting to explain your side and having to add extra footage to the film do to keeping it under a certain time. Originally the king of kong was about Doris day I believe and that Seth gordon seen Steve getting snubbed so they thought the movie would be better if it gone that route. I never knew if you were inthe film at all and got edited out but id love to read exactly what happened to you. You should definitely do a players blog.
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:02 pm »
Tacos are delicious.  Can we all agree on that?
Yummmm
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2013, 12:19:36 am »
I think the most crucial aspect about how hard a DK KS is, and how things have significantly changed over time, is a point Phil pointed out:

my point was pretty much what hank was saying earlier in the thread. a kill screen used to be a lot tougher since there was very little information going around about how to efficiently play some of the boards so not to get 1/16th and such. now we have long forum topics and tips and videos and a big supportive community that shares information. the truth is that its easier now to get a kill screen than it was even 4-5yrs ago. i wouldnt be at the level im at now if i didnt spend countless hours watching dean play donkey kong. i have no idea what level of player id be if i was left to figure out everything on my own, or if id still be playing at all

Essentially, the act of already having the necessary skills and executing a KS is the exact same as it was for people BITD, however, the process of acquiring that skill set is much, much easier and simpler now. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars and hours learning the game, now an expert player can explain to someone nearly all they'll need to know to get a KS in under 30 minutes!

Because of this streamlining of information, what has slowly happened is, all the effort and time that was once expended just getting to the KS has been directed more at getting 1m+. This is why people say 1m+ is the new KS. And this isn't even mentioning the change in psychological barriers concerning getting a KS after it has already been done by someone before...

I understand what you're saying Shane, but I do think you'd have to admit that the standards have changed. It literally is the case that a KS is not as impressive as it once was, and this is because it is now literally easier to get to the point, skill-wise, where one can play a KS game.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Martin Laing

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2013, 01:53:46 am »
I worked hard for my kill screen, and yes I watched players and read tips. But I did create my own plan of action and stuck to it. Now I am slowly implementing other aspects of my game to get more points; one step at a time. A lot of the comments on this thread makes my kill screen seem less significant than I believe it is.
1st New Zealander to achieve a kill screen
Donkey Kong (MAME Points) - 1026800 (Kill Screen)
Donkey Kong (MAME No Hammer) - 282700
Donkey Kong (MAME Lvl 1-1) - 11000
Far Cry 2 is the best game
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2013, 02:38:24 am »
I worked hard for my kill screen, and yes I watched players and read tips. But I did create my own plan of action and stuck to it. Now I am slowly implementing other aspects of my game to get more points; one step at a time. A lot of the comments on this thread makes my kill screen seem less significant than I believe it is.

Again really, there is actually other Donkey Kong's out there.  I'd like to make an analogy.  Imagine there were 3 type of mines.  A gold mine, a silver mine, and a copper mine.  All 3 mines were open to the public.  Of course because gold is the most valuable by a long shot, there were tons, and tons of people mining for gold.  It got to the point that so many people were looking for gold that all the effort just to find that gold nugget was not worth it anymore.  But that's were the other two mines came in.

The smarter ones went after the silver mines.  Yes silver is worth less, but the competition was so infrequent that those that went this route actually did better, and got more value for their efforts.  Silver may not be worth as much but there was so much more silver all around that those that went this route actually struck it rich because all their efforts paid off.

Finally the smartest one went to the copper mine.  He had heard legends about this copper mind, and that it actually existed.  The problem is no one really bothered to even go to that mine because hey copper is no way near the value of silver or not even close to the value of gold.  So for kicks he decided to go there, and what he saw was jaw dropping.   Large mountains of copper all over the place virtually untouched with no one even digging for the stuff when he got there.  So he called up a few semi trucks, and went to town on the whole mine.  Soon this person became known as "King of the copper mine", but the truth of the matter is he was making WAY more off his efforts mining copper than 95 percent of those who kept mining just to strike it rich in the gold mine.

Long story short.   Donkey Kong is the gold mine, Donkey Kong Junior is the silver mine, and Donkey Kong 3 is the copper mine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:41:05 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2013, 06:35:25 am »
Everyone works hard to reach their first kill screen, and it is never 'easy' for any individual to achieve a bare bones kill screen.  Every time you jump a barrel you can die.  Death is everywhere in the game.  It takes a lot of concentration and determination to just jump over that many barrels in 2 hours.  Imagine doing that in real life.  With no breaks.  Wearing overalls? Not easy.  Then throw in the spring screens, screwings...etc.

Which brings me to my next point...the randomness of the game.  If you think about it, there are many people out there trying to get their first KS right now that have all the skill and knowledge to get there...but maybe have been cut down over and over by the randomness of the game.  Honestly if the game doesn't want you to get to the end, you aren't getting there.  It takes a combination of skill and luck to reach the KS...and your odds of getting one go up more and more as a player can consistantly play the game without making personal mistakes that cause deaths.

You can think of a game of DK as everything being predetermined...meaning based on the way the fireballs are going to react, screwings, wild barrels, barrels that won't steer, etc...if you play the game perfectly for max points, there is an allotted amount of points that you'll be able to get by the time you reach the KS.  Nothing more nothing less.  You can't do anything about that barrel that didn't steer down whilst grouping...400 points lost after factoring in the rejump.  Bunch-a long springs in a row?  Sorry but DK already determined that you would lose out on 500 points on 13-4...waiting for the long springs to stop.  Nothing you can do about that.  Aw, your star pattern got messed up...better freestyle it...oh that took a long time, a few thousand points lost there, oh well.  Fireballs chasing you around at the bottom on 13-2...bonus timer is getting low...oops too bad, you're dead...well if you woulda just asked the machine if it was going to screw you that many times in that particular game you could have just killed off all your men at the beginning and started over...and not wasted an hour.

Donkey Kong's randomness is as much of a factor for reaching a KS as any given player's skill level is.  The same goes for scoring big big big.

Regarding the player, you can basically boil the game down to repetition without error, and determination.  It's a simple computer program that lets us beat it sometimes.

If there was a red/green light on top of the cabinet that would show red if you would get screwed too many times to make it to the end, and green if you would be able to make it to the end given you didn't make any human mistakes...that would save everyone a lot of time.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

lakeman421

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2013, 06:55:04 am »
Even though tacos are delicious I think I'd prefer burritos any day of the week.