Author Topic: Seperating the posers from the actual champs  (Read 67030 times)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Seperating the posers from the actual champs
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 09:52:21 am »
Ross doesn't care about getting in the top 12. He just wants to play YOLO and even add some decent swag to it. And I do respect that!  ;)
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2013, 10:03:27 am »
And yeah, you were once the King of Kong with a score of 879k. From today's criteria, this score is now shit, and it's been proven that everybody that care a little bit about the game can score higher than that (no offense to you and to any other kill screeners, it's obviously still an achievement, but it's still shit in my opinion, haha).

My personal best is currently 782,900 (ending on Level 19-1).

Ok, let me get this straight.  There exists an uber elite 1.1M category, followed by the million point killscreeners, nearly 20 players in the 900K+ group, several metric tons of shit, and then me.

Is it really necessary for me to travel north of the border, at considerable personal expense (airfare and hotel accommodations), for the sole purpose of slapping you around . . . again?   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2013, 10:21:38 am »
My personal best is currently 782,900 (ending on Level 19-1).

Ok, let me get this straight.  There exists an uber elite 1.1M category, followed by the million point killscreeners, nearly 20 players in the 900K+ group, several metric tons of shit, and then me.

Is it really necessary for me to travel north of the border, at considerable personal expense (airfare and hotel accommodations), for the sole purpose of slapping you around . . . again?   

I don't think you understood, Scott. I said that a kill screen score is a sh*t score (obviously, if we compare it with the best players). But a score of 782,900 is by FAR extremely more impressive than just a kill screen score, that's just amazing! It takes way more skills than just hitting a kill screen.

... Vincent Lemay's math  ;)

Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2013, 10:38:16 am »
I don't think you understood, Scott. I said that a kill screen score is a sh*t score (obviously, if we compare it with the best players). But a score of 782,900 is by FAR extremely more impressive than just a kill screen score, that's just amazing! It takes way more skills than just hitting a kill screen.

... Vincent Lemay's math  ;)

I took an online course in lemaythématiques several months ago.

I failed miserably, unable to grasp the "2700 is actually equal to zero" concept.   :P

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2013, 11:27:35 am »
Hey guys... no reason to disrespect Tim's 879K score (although I'm pretty sure you guys are joking).  A world record is a world record.  As with all scores you have to consider the context in which it was set.  When Tim set that score there was only 1 other known killscreener.  That's an incredible accomplishment if you ask me.  He also had to learn the game with virtually no advanced information available and very few people playing it.  Sure it's easy now for us to learn how to pass the 3rd elevator or steer the barrels or even leeching rivets.  These things we all take for granted, but I bet Tim had to figure many of these things out himself.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 11:39:25 am »
Hey guys... no reason to disrespect Tim's 879K score (although I'm pretty sure you guys are joking).

I'm going on the assumption that the disrespect from the group was born out of the disrespect perceived from Tim's initial post.   The former seemed warranted at the time if you ask me.  I think Tim has explained himself better as the thread has grown.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 01:01:31 pm »
I'm going on the assumption that the disrespect from the group was born out of the disrespect perceived from Tim's initial post.   The former seemed warranted at the time if you ask me.  I think Tim has explained himself better as the thread has grown.

That. I do understand Tim's point of view and I relatively agree with it. But his first few posts seemed just too hateful. No offense.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:03:52 pm by Xermon54 »

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »
I am an actual champ, I actually "earned" my place in the games history
... by running boards.

And yeah, you were once the King of Kong with a score of 879k. From today's criteria, this score is now shit, and it's been proven that everybody that care a little bit about the game can score higher than that (no offense to you and to any other kill screeners, it's obviously still an achievement, but it's still shit in my opinion, haha).

Im not a big fan of this comment, and coming from #2 in the world its not completely accurate in my opinion. less than 60 people on the planet has KSed DK, this isnt an "easy" accomplishment, and cannot simply be achieved by "caring a little bit about the game". Its kinda funny, but I have noticed a trend lately. The people downgrading the accomplishment of a KS are either in 1 of 2 categories :

1) You are one of the best players in the world with 4+ years of training under your belt and a highly selective memory, and more than a few KS under your belt.

2) You are currently a Non KSER player at 1m+ pace, trying to downplay the accomplishment of a board running KS so your 333K at 1.01m pace seems more significant.

------------------------
You guys really need to understand how this makes people feel going for a "lowly 860k KS" or someone that has been playing for a year and come up short. Its almost a complete undermining of their goal/accomplishment and I think that is kinda bullshit. You will never catch me saying a perfect pacman game is a SHIT ACCOMPLISHMENT beacuse its already been done by a lot of people.

It's really nice when someone wastes a year of their live trying to accomplish a goal, then a far superior player comes in and downgrades their accomplishment. Why would someone sink in all the time to accomplish a goal only for it to be regarded as shit?? Is that why me and allen are going for a KS, to be consiered SHIT by the only people in the world that understand this game.

Im guessing by this standard a 700k player is even less than shit.
It  implies the bottom 70 people on the HSL are all shit players, these are active people in our community with a love for the game and you compared them all to less than shit.

I love this community, but comments like this make me really reconsider some things.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:23:04 pm by Shane_NC »
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2013, 01:55:33 pm »
There is also another thing I would like to mention. DK has been broken down, analyzed, played, and competed at more on the highest level than any other CAG title. Most CAG titles have 2-3 top contenders... DK has 20+...

If HALF of the CAG titles had as much competition as DK, then a lot of CURRENT WR's would all be SHIT scores in a year or twos time.
HIGH SCORES:

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »
Hey Tim,

I'm really glad to see that you have made an effort to join the current DK community.  I hope you will continue to browse and post in these forums and stream your games.  If I am able to make it out to the KO3, you are one of the people that I'm most looking forward to meeting -- it was my understanding that you have plans on attending, which was somewhat surprising when I heard it, but I do feel that it will be great for the event to have you there.

Now that you're more set up and familiar with Twitch, I hope to see you pop in on my channel while I am streaming.  You can always see who is streaming at the top of the main page here at DKF and just click the link to go straight to the channel.

Welcome and good luck.
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2013, 02:34:44 pm »
shane, dont take vincent too seriously. hes still learning english(and math) ;)

a kill screen is obviously not a shit accomplishment. if you knew vincent a little better you wouldve taken what he said with a grain of salt. hes one of the most supportive people in the community. always positive and cheering people on

that being said, the truth is that a kill screen(or score in the 850k range) no longer has the punch that it once did. bitd a kill screen was the final step on a competitive dk players list of goals. now its pretty much the first thing on the list of a player with serious intentions of becoming competitive. just keep at it mate. youll definitely get there, and if youre considering taking the next step towards a million and beyond the community will be here to help and cheer you on no matter what. 100% yer buddy
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2013, 02:44:00 pm »
" that being said, the truth is that a kill screen(or score in the 850k range) no longer has the punch that it once did. "

This is more a product of the competitiveness of DK, not the score itself, in my opinion. Just because a title is more competitive than others and the WR has been pushing incredibly high and heavily contested doesnt lessen the accomplishment of a meer KS.

I honestly think some of you guys are so brainwashed by how high the DK score has been taken, that you lose focus off the weight of the actual accomplishment of a KS.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:50:12 pm by Shane_NC »
HIGH SCORES:

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2013, 02:49:41 pm »
" that being said, the truth is that a kill screen(or score in the 850k range) no longer has the punch that it once did. "

This is more a product of the competitiveness of DK, not the score itself, in my opinion. Just because a title is more competitive than others and the WR has been pushing incredibly high and heavily contested doesnt lessen the accomplishment of a meer KS.

my point was pretty much what hank was saying earlier in the thread. a kill screen used to be a lot tougher since there was very little information going around about how to efficiently play some of the boards so not to get 1/16th and such. now we have long forum topics and tips and videos and a big supportive community that shares information. the truth is that its easier now to get a kill screen than it was even 4-5yrs ago. i wouldnt be at the level im at now if i didnt spend countless hours watching dean play donkey kong. i have no idea what level of player id be if i was left to figure out everything on my own, or if id still be playing at all
Member for 11 Years Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder

Offline Shane_NC

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2013, 02:51:39 pm »
soon enough when 20+ people have a million + score .. 1m is going to become the new shit score because you guys have totally lost sight.
HIGH SCORES:

Offline tudose

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2013, 02:55:45 pm »
soon enough when 20+ people have a million + score .. 1m is going to become the new shit score because you guys have totally lost sight.

im not sure what you mean by lost sight but the facts are the facts. 1mil is the new kill screen, 1.1m is the new 1mil and 1.2mil is just retarded ;)