Author Topic: Seperating the posers from the actual champs  (Read 66825 times)

hchien

Re: Seperating the posers from the actual champs
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2013, 07:19:52 pm »
First, I guess a consensus needs to be formed on the defining criteria of a Champ and a Poser to make it somewhat accurate, as the definitions up to this point have been quite subjective.

We have 2 pretty good definitions:

1- Tim's:

...to be able to average 55k per level starting at L=5 to qualify.this will all but eliminate the hacks...

My interpretation: you need to have a DK score of 1.05M to be a champ.

2- George's:

How to seperate the champs from the posers: Champs excel at a wide assortment of arcade games. Posers only play DK related games.

My interpretation: you must be better than George at 3 non-DK related arcade games to be a champ.

Perhaps we should have 2 lists (1 for each definition).  I'm a champ by Tim's definition.  I think I'm a poser by George's.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2013, 07:43:49 pm »

The poser list should be open to anyone who wants to be on it.  The definitions can be applied to those who don't.

I'm 2nd in line outside the poser ticket window (not sure how Chris got here before me).

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

giv

« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:31 pm »
Mario Bros doesn't count as a DK related game. You're pretty good at that, right, Hank? So Mario Bros, Centipede and Millipede. So you're a champ in my book! :)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »

My interpretation: you must be better than George at 3 non-DK related arcade games to be a champ.

Perhaps we should have 2 lists (1 for each definition).  I'm a champ by Tim's definition.  I think I'm a poser by George's.

I might have George Leutz beat in 3 non DK games.  Hopefully he can respond to see if I do.

Here are my decent non DK scores.   All MAME of course

1942  414,430
Congo Bongo 84,550
Exciting Hour 274,400
Frogger 30,320
Galaxian 50,390
Gorf 23,320
Lady Bug 43,830
Moon Patrol 165,410
Robotron 97,400
Zaxxon 149,050

So what of it George?  Do I have 3 scores that are better than your scores on these games?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2013, 07:59:25 pm »
Mario Bros doesn't count as a DK related game. You're pretty good at that, right, Hank? So Mario Bros, Centipede and Millipede. So you're a champ in my book! :)

Had to look at BOTA scores...

You're better than me at Mario Bros.:

http://www.aurcade.com/events/game.aspx?id=607

But I edged you out on Ms. Pac Turbo:

http://www.aurcade.com/events/game.aspx?id=599

Phew... I didn't want to wait on the poser line.

giv

« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2013, 08:13:57 pm »
Come on, George, you know MAME doesn't count! :)

But if it did, here's the comparison:

1942: don't know, so we'll say you win.
Congo Bongo: don't know, you win.
Exciting hour: don't even know what that is.
Froggy: I think I've got you beat by 5-10k. I think my score from the first BotA was between 35-40k
Galaxian: somewhere around 25k. So you got me there.
Gorf: no idea again.
Lady Bug: 352k hard difficulty, 420somethingk medium difficulty.
Moon Patrol: I was somewhere around 120-30k when they took the machine out of barcade. So you got me by a little.
Robotron: when I was playing regularly I was somewhere around 700k. I get a few hundred thousand on a casual game though. 5man around 180-200k on my best game.
Zaxxon: around 70k I think? I used to go to barcade in Jersey City once or twice a month and that's as far as I got. Haven't been there in months though.

I think comparing mame to real scores is like apples to oranges though. I'd be curious to see if your arcade scores equal your mame scores. I would bet the practice you do on mame would help your arcade scores. So if mame counted, you'd be a champ in my book, George! :)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:16:30 pm by giv »

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »
Come on, George, you know MAME doesn't count! :)

But if it did, here's the comparison:

1942: don't know, so we'll say you win.
Congo Bongo: don't know, you win.
Exciting hour: don't even know what that is.
Froggy: I think I've got you beat by 5-10k. I think my score from the first BotA was between 35-40k
Galaxian: somewhere around 25k. So you got me there.
Gorf: no idea again.
Lady Bug: 352k hard difficulty, 420somethingk medium difficulty.
Moon Patrol: I was somewhere around 120-30k when they took the machine out of barcade. So you got me by a little.
Robotron: when I was playing regularly I was somewhere around 700k. I get a few hundred thousand on a casual game though. 5man around 180-200k on my best game.
Zaxxon: around 70k I think? I used to go to barcade in Jersey City once or twice a month and that's as far as I got. Haven't been there in months though.

I think comparing mame to real scores is like apples to oranges though. I'd be curious to see if your arcade scores equal your mame scores. I would bet the practice you do on mame would help your arcade scores. So if mame counted, you'd be a champ in my book, George! :)

Sounds cool to me!  I'm a champ if MAME counted!  Yeah! 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

giv

« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2013, 08:21:31 pm »
Yeah, you've got me on Ms Pac turbo, Hank... For now! :)

I wanted to add though, that maybe I shouldn't have said one needs to "excel" at non-DK related games to be a champ. Effort counts. Just being on a BotA team proves you have a lot of arcade gaming heart, and are a champ in my book!

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2013, 12:42:01 pm »
Love BOTA.  Love it.  Even if it made me play Mappy once.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2013, 01:50:34 pm »
Yeah, you've got me on Ms Pac turbo, Hank... For now! :)

I wanted to add though, that maybe I shouldn't have said one needs to "excel" at non-DK related games to be a champ. Effort counts. Just being on a BotA team proves you have a lot of arcade gaming heart, and are a champ in my book!

Yeah, but the average player will never be on a BotA team.  Mostly because the 'official' arcades are nowhere near any of us.  Kappa.

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:28 pm »
BOTA was fun and I do look the forward to the next one.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

hchien

« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2013, 05:22:55 pm »
Yeah, but the average player will never be on a BotA team.  Mostly because the 'official' arcades are nowhere near any of us.  Kappa.

You a make your own team!  You just need 8 players and an arcade willing to host it.  It can even be a home arcade.