Author Topic: Cabinet Maintenance Question  (Read 7652 times)

MrDontsMildRide

Cabinet Maintenance Question
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:37 am »
So, in trying to get some verification video the other night, I happened to break a one of the pins on one of the connectors on the control panel. I can now, not move to the right. I tried disconnecting the wire from the 2 player button and connect it to the now broken wire, but this did not work.

Any tips or advice on how to fix this? I am not handy with this sort of thing at all, so I really don't know what to do here. I would also like to try and fix this before Saturday(wcr), so ordering replacement parts right now is not much of an option. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached is a photo of the connector. The broken pin was the one all the way to the right.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Cabinet Maintenance Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:49:06 am »
I'm assuming the one on the very bottom broke off?

Well if you just need to make the connection to the broken pin you could try to rig up another piece of wire as a makeshift pin, shove it in the connector, then try to jam the connector into where it plugs in and hope the connection is made.

Or go to Radio Shack and try to find another pin like the one that broke off.

Or make up a temporary harness or something like that. 

If you aren't handy with electrical components at all, well you're gonna have to get somewhat handy right now if you want to come up with a temporary fix for the broken harness pin.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:00:05 am »
The same thing happened to my control panel (mine got damaged on the plane flight back from KO2).  2 options:

1- pull that wire out and hot wire it to the corresponding wire on the arcade-side harness

2- completely replace the control panel harness

BTW, you don't need to remove the control panel for verification.  The (old/current) TG recording rules only require that you show the underside of the control panel.  You can flip the control panel without detaching any wires.

MrDontsMildRide

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:16:25 am »
Thanks guys. It's not that I don't think I am capable of fixing it, just need to be pushed in the right direction.

I am going to go through this order of trying to fix it:

1. Replacement pin from Radio shack
2. Using a little wire as a pin of sorts
3. Pulling the wire and and hot wiring
4. Pulling all the wires and replacing the connector.

I accidentally disconnected this when trying to verify. I had just streamed a personal best, but had never showed off the inside of the machine for anyone here. It was after midnight and my girlfriend was sleeping, so I could not drag the machine out and open the back up, so I just tried to film through the control panel, somehow knocked it loose though.

Hank, we actually met a few years ago at Barcade Jersey City when you knocked my name off of the high score list.

Alright, let's get handy.

hchien

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:42:29 am »
Good luck!  Let me know if 1 or 2 works.  Be sure all connections are secure.  You don't want any solution that's going to produce an unreliable connection.  It would be disasterous if you were on 21-6 and the connection came lose.

Yeah, I remember meeting you.  I don't think I set the Barcade Jersey City record that high.  I'm pretty sure I only ran boards as I didn't want to play more than one game (Steve, George, Youmee, Ben were there also and we were there more to hang out).  So if you beat it, "I'll be back" hahaha j/k.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:28 am »
I'm pretty sure I only ran boards as I didn't want to play more than one game (Steve, George, Youmee, Ben were there also and we were there more to hang out). 

Oh yer!  Love it mate!

In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 11:38:17 am »
Sorry for your misfortune. I can't help but feel bad that this happened. I would hate for that to happen. I sure hope you get a workable solution. Let us know.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:44:37 am »
Wait, you have to show the control panel again?  Did TG revert back to the special DK arcade recording rules?
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:54:43 am »
Doesn't TG want to see the 4-way restrictor plate and see an original/reproduction nintendo joystick?

hchien

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 11:55:46 am »
Oh yer!  Love it mate!

Oops forgot about Fred.  Love it!

MrDontsMildRide

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:25:58 pm »
Good luck!  Let me know if 1 or 2 works.  Be sure all connections are secure.  You don't want any solution that's going to produce an unreliable connection.  It would be disasterous if you were on 21-6 and the connection came lose.

Yeah, I remember meeting you.  I don't think I set the Barcade Jersey City record that high.  I'm pretty sure I only ran boards as I didn't want to play more than one game (Steve, George, Youmee, Ben were there also and we were there more to hang out).  So if you beat it, "I'll be back" hahaha j/k.

Come by anytime! I'll be sure to try and get the Manhattan score when they open up so you can tear that one down too.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:52 pm »

Come by anytime! I'll be sure to try and get the Manhattan score when they open up so you can tear that one down too.

Manhattan scoreboard blitz!!!!!!   Who's in?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

MrDontsMildRide

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »
Sorry for your misfortune. I can't help but feel bad that this happened. I would hate for that to happen. I sure hope you get a workable solution. Let us know.

Don't feel bad! I got all excited about a score and moved too quickly. Then I was too strong when trying to get the pin back in the right place.

So I could not find replacement pins at any of the stores near my office (the radio shack only sold phone stuff) and home depot did not have them either. I bought some 16 gauge copper wire and I think I am going to skip trying to use a little bit of it as a replacement pin and just yank it and hot wire.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:35:21 pm by MrDontsMildRide »

hchien

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:43:31 pm »

I'm in!

They are opening in the next few months.  They had some delays along the way.  Ironically Barcade Brooklyn is easier for me to get to.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »

I'm in!

They are opening in the next few months.  They had some delays along the way.  Ironically Barcade Brooklyn is easier for me to get to.

I work across the street from a NJ Transit stop, how far from Penn Station?  If walking distance that would be the easiest of all 4 for me to get to as I wouldn't have to drive it or take any subways either.