Author Topic: Anyone else notice the pause and climb effect?  (Read 4632 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Anyone else notice the pause and climb effect?
« on: July 25, 2013, 05:53:00 pm »
No I am not talking about pausing Mario right before you go up the ladder on the elevator stage.  I am talking about the fireballs.  I swear whenever I notice that I am above a fireball on the rivet stage, and the fireball starts it's pause, that there is a very good chance that the fireball is going to go up the ladder right after it's done being frozen.   I even have a special name for this fireball.  I call it the "Thinking Fireball" because it looks like it's thinking about what to do next right before it makes the correct decision of going up the ladder.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Anyone else notice the pause and climb effect?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:30:20 pm »
I know this has been mentioned somewhere on DKF, but I just realized now that it doesn't have its own dedicated thread (it should!). If I'm understanding you correctly, George, what you are describing is something that is very crucial to know for helping a player pass the rivet screen more safely throughout an entire game.

The basic rules are these:

1) Fireballs can't go down ladders unless Jumpman is below them.
2) Fireballs (frozen or non-frozen) can go up ladders if Jumpman is either on their same level or above them.
3) Frozen fireballs will always go to the right first after they unfreeze and will always go up/down the first ladder to their right (depending upon whether or not Jumpman is above/on the same level or below them.

If I remember correctly, Corey does a good job explaining it in his rivet video, here: Donkey Kong Rivet Training Video
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:49:19 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »
3) Frozen fireballs will always go to the right first after they unfreeze and will always go up/down the first ladder to their right (depending upon whether or not Jumpman is above/on the same level or below them.

Being a little nit picky here, but fireballs frozen at the top of a ladder will always go left.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:21:15 pm »

Being a little nit picky here, but fireballs frozen at the top of a ladder will always go left.

Interesting... do we know why this is? I thought they just went immediately back down after their freeze (if Jumpman is below), or went to the right if Jumpman was equal/above them. Maybe I'm mis-remebering... man, I really don't play past 1-1 these days! :D
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
Hanks right about this. I've been making a short video on how to play the freezers and have seen it in the code that they move left from the top of ladders.  :)
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder DK No-Hammer Killscreener Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:01 pm »
The full pattern for a freezer that is frozen out in the open which ends up climbing down (instead of up):

It unfreezes by moving to the right (if there is a long stretch before reaching a ladder it could refreeze).
It climbs down the nearest ladder and freezes at the bottom of the ladder.
It then unfreezes and climbs right back up to the top of the same ladder and freezes again.
It unfreezes by moving left.

Right, down (freeze), up (freeze), left.

Note that the freeze at the bottom of the ladder is mandatory, but the next freeze at the top of the same ladder is dependent upon Jumpman's vertical position.  (Jump!)
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:34:23 pm »
Note that the freeze at the bottom of the ladder is mandatory, but the next freeze at the top of the same ladder is dependent upon Jumpman's vertical position.  (Jump!)

This I did not know.

When I'm on the rivets, after a weave, and I'm on the left waiting for an opening with the freezer guarding the middle (the situation everybody hates), my standard play is to hook my foot onto the ladder to encourage downward momentum for any/all of the other firefoxes.

Are you saying that, by doing this, I'm causing the middle freezer to freeze again, and if I were to unhook from the ladder, or go to the next one and climb a bit, that I'd have a better chance of getting him out of there more quickly?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:04:55 pm »
Jump!  ;D
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »

Dean it seems like most people move to the sides of the board and attempt to go around a freezer guarding the middle ladder on rivets. Is the vertical position of jumpman the only trigger to break the up and down the ladder cycle? Just exiting the area near the ladder seems to break the cycle but I may be mistaken since I try to climb the ladders on the sides and am unsure of when the cycle actually breaks.
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Individual Board Record Holder DK No-Hammer Killscreener Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:31:20 pm »

Dean it seems like most people move to the sides of the board and attempt to go around a freezer guarding the middle ladder on rivets. Is the vertical position of jumpman the only trigger to break the up and down the ladder cycle? Just exiting the area near the ladder seems to break the cycle but I may be mistaken since I try to climb the ladders on the sides and am unsure of when the cycle actually breaks.

Yeah, this is the most common situation where you can really see the whole cycle (and where it can be the most annoying).  Another common spot to see it (and potentially take advantage of it) is on the left side inner ladder next to the oil can on the pie factory. 

So, on the rivets, if you see a wandering fireball on the middle platform where the top hammer is located freeze on the left half of the platform, then:

IF you are currently BELOW the vertical position of that platform, the fireball will unfreeze and move to the right until it sees the downward middle ladder under the hammer and it will climb down this ladder and it will always freeze at the bottom of the ladder.  When it unfreezes it will always immediately climb back up this middle ladder.  When it gets to the top, then:

IF you are currently BELOW OR EQUAL TO the vertical position of that platform, the fireball will freeze again at the top of this ladder, right under the hammer.

So, as I hinted to Chris, if you are standing on this platform (or the same level platforms on the right or left sides of the potentially unplugged rivets) and you want to avoid this second freeze, all you have to do is jump as the fireball reaches the top of the ladder so that its vertical position check fails and it will just move left (as all fireballs always do) instead of freezing.

Also, once this cycle plays out and the fireball moves left from the top of the ladder, it doesn't necessarily repeat.  At this point the fireball goes back into a roaming mode for a variable amount of time before going back into the freeze mode.  while roaming it could easily wander off to the right of that ladder or it could climb up or down any nearby ladder, etc.

Oh, by the way, back to the pie factory situation -- you can take advantage of this cycle in the opposite way here.  When you climb up the outer ladder to the top conveyor and you know that a freezer which was just frozen at the bottom of the inner ladder is now climbing to the top of that same inner ladder . . . simply stand still on the conveyor until the fireball gets to the top and it will freeze -- buying you more time to complete the screen.  It's counter-intuitive, since you will often have a chance to climb up onto the adjustable ladder or jump over a pie at this moment -- resist doing this!  If a pie is coming, just stand there and drift back towards the fireball, knowing that you are forcing it to freeze, THEN jump over the pie and finish the screen.

Anyway, there are a bunch of little ways like this to manipulate situations that involve freezer bahavior to your advantage once you become confident that you really know what they are going to do.