Author Topic: 2 questions i know someone has an answear to  (Read 2436 times)

jay195

2 questions i know someone has an answear to
« on: July 11, 2013, 03:09:45 pm »
first off, i need to touch up my machine in some spots which is all minor, but need to know if i get the paint at home depot,what kind is best, and what is the color code for it, secondly,i want to put a led light behind my marquee, no i am not replacing the fluorescent bulb nor am i taking it out, as i am keeping everything original on the machine, but i think the led bulb that changes colors would be cool, has anyone done this already? thanks

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
Re: 2 questions i know someone has an answear to
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:55:34 pm »
Inside your machine, right beneath the control panel, should be some paint which has been left unaffected by the elements. I'd take that and have it color matched to make sure you get it the perfect shade of blue. I don't remember which stores will do this for you, but I'm sure it won't be hard to figure out.
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:56:41 am »
Any major paint store, Sherwin Williams is where I go, has a color match machine.  Problem is you have to bring in a sample for them to put into their machine so they can match it...so you would have to chip off a chunk of paint, or cut out a piece of your cab and bring it in, then glue it back on, sand, and repaint with your new paint.  They don't need a big sample...just call and ask if a 1" square is enough...I cut a piece of drywall out of a spot behind a door and brought it in when I was touching up some spots in my house....and I brought in a piece of Trex deck board so I could paint the rim joists of my deck the same color as the Trex.

The service is free, but the paint is not...so be prepared for some pricey paint when you are colormatching.

As for the LED, this shouldn't be too hard to do, but might require drilling an extra hole for power to the LED light you wanted.  I know they sell all types of LED light bars in all sizes and colors...the possibilities are endless.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:17:21 am »
Inside your machine, right beneath the control panel, should be some paint which has been left unaffected by the elements. I'd take that and have it color matched to make sure you get it the perfect shade of blue. I don't remember which stores will do this for you, but I'm sure it won't be hard to figure out.

Yep these bits I think should unscrew? Just take this to a local paint shop to get it matched. I'm in the middle of a complete restoration and have just sprayed the complete cab. Although i'm in the UK the process should be exactly the same. The only problem with touching up these is that the original finish isn't paint, they're finished in a coloured formica so your end result will be a decent enough match but the finish will be slightly different. It's a semi gloss finish btw

If it's ok with the mods i'll post my resto up....it's a big post with a lot of pictures.

Good luck!
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer