Author Topic: DK in the news/on the net.  (Read 186722 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: DK in the news/on the net.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 01:10:55 am »
Wow! That is just incredible! I can never imagine doing all that work for stuff like this... makes me think of all the crazy stop-motion stuff people do in minecraft...
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 06:46:43 am »
Pretty cool but the guy couldn't give himself 800 on the Blue Barrel smash?!?! Man the code even strikes the sticky node guy!

Stop-Motion Tribute To Ms. Pac-Man And Donkey Kong Took 96 Days To Make

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/stop-motion-tribute-to-ms-pac-man-and-donkey-kong-took-96-days-to-make/

"Do you hate spending weekends in the office? Talk to Michael Birken. He spent nearly a year’s worth of weekends and holidays at his, filming this ridiculous sticky note stop-motion homage to arcade classics Ms Pac-Man and Donkey Kong.

The project took a total of 96 days spread out over 11 months, Birken says, using 4800 Post-Its in the process. He concedes that the background scenery was masked out and replaced with a single consistent frame, but otherwise each frame was hand-constructed on a wall, shot, and then transferred into the scene you see here.
"

Post-it Note Arcade - Stop Motion Animation [HD]
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 07:33:04 am »
Pretty cool but the guy couldn't give himself 800 on the Blue Barrel smash?!?! Man the code even strikes the sticky node guy!

It's funny that you mention that.  Instead of marveling at the dedication required to complete such an ambitious project, I was watching the barrel board animation, waiting to see how many points would be awarded for a blue smash.   ::)

I should seriously consider making a down payment on something that vaguely resembles a life.  Can anyone here break a twenty?

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 12:45:46 am »
Apologies if you've seen this before - I hadn't!

Old Skool, New Twist | Robot Chicken | Adult Swim
" Its not how you play the game but who you have backing up the bullshit."

From The Book Of Sczerby 2:18
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:35 am »
Not available in my country.
Silly YouTube.
Nick

Apologies if you've seen this before - I hadn't!

Old Skool, New Twist | Robot Chicken | Adult Swim
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

muffinchips

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:11:04 am by muffinchips »

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 02:31:21 pm »
I have a strong suspicion that this is a computer-generated image, but hey...3 Donkey Kongs?

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Bucks-closes-to-make-way-for-retro-arcade-bar/42394.html

Bucks closes to make way for retro arcade bar

"Bucks Saloon, a Boystown institution, is closing its doors, but a new bar will takes its place.
Mark Liberson, owner of Hydrate Nightclub, Halsted's and Elixir, has announced that he will open Replay, a retro arcade, at 3439 N. Halsted St.

On Facebook, Bucks regulars lamented the loss of their favorite bar, which outlived many of the neighborhood's earliest businesses. Bucks had announced the impending closure in February but had not announced a closing date. Bucks customers celebrated the bar at an April 14 farewell party.

Liberson said he hopes to honor the Bucks tradition as a local watering hole.

"The history of Bucks is a long one, and what we're going to do is build upon its destination as a place to spend time with friends," Liberson said.

Replay will feature m ore than 25 craft beers, bourbon and more than 20 video games from the '80s and '90s, including Ms. Pac-Man to Galaga, Space Invaders to Donkey Kong, according to a media statement.

"The most exciting new thing really is what's old," said Liberson, referring to the arcade games.

The bar will offer a cocktail menu by Elixir's Danny Quinn and food options from Halsted's.

The space will be refinished from floor to ceiling, said Liberson. It is expected to open by Memorial Day weekend."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:33:18 pm by marky_d »
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »
I guess Ol' Buck liked him some DK. :P
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline up2ng

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 12:56:33 pm »
Just happened to catch a few minutes of "The Jeff Probst Show" this afternoon, and during a significant portion of one segment they were talking about the original name for Donkey Kong (apparently this was going to be a Popeye game but they couldn't get Popeye licensing at that time so they changed around the characters and came up with DK?).  Anyway, it was wierd to just be sort of channel surfing and stumble upon this much DK discussion on a mainstream TV show.  Hopefully someone can find a clip of it and post it here...
Donkey Kong:  1,206,800  Kill Screen
Donkey Kong:  898,600     16-5
D2K:                 380,200     L=9
Donkey Kong Junior:  In Progress
Member for 11 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer Wildcard Rematch Champion Blogger Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK 1.1M Point Scorer Individual Board Record Holder DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK World Record Holder - MAME DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 11:08:49 am »
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2013/04/gwinnett-man-going-for-donkey-kong.html

Gwinnett man going for world "Donkey Kong” title
Apr 29, 2013, 9:01am EDT

"Mick Winzeler reached a score of 874,000 on an old-school “Donkey Kong” arcade machine in his Buford home - a level reached by less than 50 people by most official accounts – and hopes to top that during the upcoming annual meeting in Colorado of the best arcade game competitors in the world, reports the Gwinnett Daily Post.

Winzeler, 32, who is a math teacher at Grayson High School and a former body building champion, said he reached the 874,000 score, also called Level 22, on a Saturday morning in January during a two-hour game with no breaks.

Level 22 is known among gamers as the kill screen level, the paper adds.

The Official Unofficial List of DK Killscreeners on www.classicarcadegaming.com, ranks Winzeler 36th out of 50 with his score. That's a worldwide ranking, the Gwinnett Daily Post says.

Players who claim records must record the gameplay on camera, the paper reports."
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:02 am »
That's funny Mark, I was just reading that same article and was going to post it here.

I don't know Mick, nor do I know if he's on this site.

Funny to see "the official unofficial list of DK killscreeners" referred to in an article.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 11:20:54 am »
Ha ha, I know. It's also funny that the article doen't include a link to the thread, it directs you to the CAG front page...good luck finding the list!  ;D

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 11:26:19 am »
Whoops, looks like there's a lot I missed to the story..

(continued)

BUFORD -- Beneath a layer of clear plastic, a man in red overalls dashes up a seven-story construction site. From a lofty perch, a sneering ape hurls barrel after barrel at the dogged protagonist as he makes his way up a series of ladders.

Sound familiar? It's the first level of iconic arcade game "Donkey Kong."

The game's good guy, "Jumpman" -- who later came to be known as Mario -- is on a mission to save his girlfriend, who has been kidnapped by the pixelated primate.

For video game aficionados, it's a prototypical damsel-in-distress story that lends charm to Nintendo's 1981 release. The narrative takes a backseat, however, to what amounts to a mad dash for points. By smashing barrels and grabbing bonus items, players can rack up points until Level 22: the game's unofficial ending.

Few in the world have reached the level. Less than 50 people by most official counts. Among them: a Grayson High School math teacher.

Earlier this year, 32-year-old Mick Winzeler recorded a score of 874,000 on the old-school "Donkey Kong" arcade machine in his Buford home. It's a number he's hoping to top as he prepares for the upcoming "Kong Off" in Denver, Colo.: an annual meeting of the world's best arcade game competitors.

"I've always had video games in my blood," Winzeler said. "I've always enjoyed them from an early age."

While he happens to be a longtime video game lover, it wasn't mere practice that propelled him to a spot among the world's best "Donkey Kong" players. His mania extends beyond the button-punching thrills experienced by the average arcade gaming addict.

His zeal touches on something more primal, setting him apart from the typical 30-something retro junkie reliving childhood, pumping countless quarters into the metal bowels of "Centipede," "Frogger," "Pac-Man" or "Q-Bert" machines.

"Whatever I do, I try to be the best I can," he said. "I can't help it. That's how it is with everything."

Including bodybuilding.

As the 2009 lightweight and overall winner of the NaturalMania Naturals, Winzeler took the top prize in what he called "the Super Bowl" of the International Natural Bodybuilding Federation.

Among the video game and cartoon posters, pictures and books in Winzeler's bedroom are half a dozen more bodybuilding trophies he's won.

In his late 20s, bodybuilding was somewhat of an obsession.

"It was all I did," he said. "I kept logs and charts of everything I ate. I had spreadsheets for every meal, every day for five or six years. I took the whole thing to a very extreme level."

His mom remembers it that way, too.

"Anytime he's ever had a desire to do something -- bodybuilding or video games or skateboarding -- he does it 100 percent," said Donna Winzeler of Loganville. "He just does it all the way."

Winzeler said he always tries to harness that level of enthusiasm for his classes at Grayson High School.

Calvin Mapp, a 17-year-old senior in Winzeler's trigonometry class, said the educator "cares about what he does and has an obvious passion for it."

Added Mapp: "There's not a lot of teachers out there who play 'Donkey Kong' and lift weights."

Winzeler has been working at Grayson High for seven years. Along with trigonometry, he teaches precalculus and geometry.

The profession, he said, "gives you the opportunity to make a difference in a kid's life. It's a chance to impact the future. When you have a former student who contacts you after graduating from college and says, 'I enjoyed your class,' that means a lot. Plus, it's just fun working with kids."

Current student Goran Susnjar, 17, thinks Winzeler is "pretty cool ... weird sometimes ... and definitely a nerd."

Susnjar said he's heard that his teacher is "one of the best" at "Donkey Kong." That doesn't surprise him. "He seems like he'd be good at it."

Winzeler said achieving top scores at "Donkey Kong" takes "a math-minded type of person."

He offered to demonstrate, plugging in the arcade cabinet in an empty room of his Buford home. Above the polycarbonate plastic cover, a soft light flickered to life, illuminating the game's title: a backlit marquee above the screen.

Doomsday eight-bit bass chords thumped from the speaker as the ape ascended rails of the digital construction site.

"I've got a 'jump' button and I can go up, down, left, right, and that's it. Real simple," he said. "Beyond that, it's all about pattern recognition. Being a math teacher makes it easier to be able to see and recognize these patterns ... and make super quick decisions. You can probably be good at 'Donkey Kong' and not be good at math, but it helps as far as the pacing."

Winzeler slapped at the joystick and fast-tapped the sherbert-orange "jump" button.

"It's a mental challenge more than anything," he said, breezing through levels. "It's hard to play if you're tired, because your decision-making isn't the best."

He posted the 874,000 score on an early Saturday morning in January: a two-hour game with no breaks.

"It was pretty stressful. After each level, I'd pace around the room while it loaded up, getting my head right."The game is tough, he said. Brutal.

"A lot of people think this game is easy, because of the way it looks. And there is a simplicity to it, but it's also something that in 30-something years people still have not completely mastered."

The average person who steps up to the arcade cabinet won't last longer than a minute and won't beat the first level, he said.
Much less, Level 22.

Known among gamers as the kill screen level, most gaming websites count 50 or fewer people who have made it so far.

According to "the Official Unofficial List of DK Killscreeners" on www.classicarcadegaming.com, Winzeler ranks 36th out of 50 with his score. That's a worldwide ranking.

To keep players straight, those who make a score claim must record the gameplay on camera. The recorded claim is then submitted.

Putting his best efforts up against the world's best "Donkey Kong" players has so far been a thrill.

The idea was born when he suffered an injury last year and couldn't train for bodybuilding. After watching an independent documentary called "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" about neck-and-neck arcade competitors Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe, Winzeler figured he'd give it a shot.

"I was dealing with a shoulder injury and an abdomen injury. I thought to myself, 'Maybe I can play some 'Donkey Kong.'' It was a nice, competitive outlet."

Competing on a video game, he said, "is a little more objective, because I have a specific number I have to beat. That's my number. With bodybuilding, it's a little more subjective."
 He said there's common ground in the two very different hobbies.

"Bodybuilding and 'Donkey Kong' are both sports where you're competing against others, but the main competition is against yourself."

In Winzeler's life, he's found that such a competitive drive can be a blessing and a curse.

"It's good in that it keeps you going, but it can be a bad thing, too," he said. "If you're always comparing yourself to other people, there's always going to be somebody better than you."

Added Winzeler: "I try to tone it down, but it's in my nature. I can't deny it."

Much like the blocky, pixelated protagonist in red overalls, climbing ladders, dodging barrels and flames, Winzeler is an unshakable force on his way to the top.

It's a battle both he and Jumpman have waged for more than three decades.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:30:05 am by marky_d »

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 11:29:57 am »
Ha ha, I know. It's also funny that the article doen't include a link to the thread, it directs you to the CAG front page...good luck finding the list!  ;D

MDA should get some new viewers to his front page now to see some exclusive photos of the 2005 CAGDC tourney and to learn that the DK WR is held by Billy.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:31:31 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 12:04:08 pm »
Then they'll click the "register" link on the forum and swiftly get frustrated with the "Sorry, registration is currently disabled." error.

MDA should get some new viewers to his front page now to see some exclusive photos of the 2005 CAGDC tourney and to learn that the DK WR is held by Billy.
Member for 11 Years Blogger