Author Topic: DKF Support Tournament :D  (Read 7729 times)

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
DKF Support Tournament :D
« on: June 24, 2013, 01:03:25 pm »
So, let me start by saying the WCR#3 was the shit...

DKF had about 14K page views during the tournament, We've crossed 1M total views in less than 6 months, Holy crap!

I was thinking about the fact that Jeff pays all of the web-based fees out of his pocket to run this site (URL ownership, server fees, etc.)

We should have a tournament, open to everyone, that has a minimum $15 entry fee (WTF "I don't wanna pay to play DK?").  If $10 from each fee goes into the payouts and $5 goes to a "DKF maintenance fund" that would really help lighten the load on Jeff's pocket.  I personally feel that there is no reason for him to foot the bill on a site that we're all benefiting from.  Initially it was clearly a labor of love, but our community and this site, are taking off like mad.

So, I propose, and would be willing to coordinate and run, a bi-annual DKF PRO/AM event.  The events would be 48 hours, giving everyone enough time to "work around their lives".

3 Divisions (Pro, Advanced Amateur and Intermediate Amateur)

Anyone can play in a higher division if they choose, but no one will be allowed to "sand-bag" and play down to a lower division.

Pro Division -

All players who have scored over 900K OR have gotten a KS.  We could have different entry fees based on division; I could see the pro's wanting bigger payouts, I'd personally throw $30 bucks at an event.  Most pro/am events carry larger entry fees for the pro division to support payouts.

Advanced AM division - 

Any player who has been past the half way point in the game (If you can make it half way (12-3), you are an advanced am player).  This would basically include all players in the 350K-850K range.

Intermediate Am division-

This would be for all other players, anyone who has yet to reach the halfway point, basically all scores from 10K-350K.

The idea of "divisions" keeps it competitive while giving everyone a chance at recouping their entry fees, I know we've discussed the "tiered" play already, so this is somewhat of an extrapolation of that concept.

Let me know what you guys think  ???

DKF FTW

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:16:12 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: DKF Support Tournament :D
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »

Intermediate Am division-

This would be for all other players, anyone who has yet to reach the halfway point, basically all scores from 10K-350K.

How about a Sausage-Legged Division, for any player who doesn't yet realize that a 4th man is awarded at 7000 points?

But seriously, I like and support the idea.  I would participate.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »
If we ever do something like this, I would suggest running it like other charity tournaments, where a portion of the entry fees go to the winners, so that the charity gets most of the money but the players get to play for something as well.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »
While I really do appreciate the sentiment, Ethan , I just wouldn't feel comfortable taking donations. Everything is paid for through February 2015 and I assure you guys , it hasn't been a financial burden on me. I spend far more on bad habits. :P

That being said, I'm all in favor of a pay-for-play tourney.  :D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:09 pm »
That's funny, Ethan. I just posted the following to a different thread yesterday. But if must have been lost in the midst of all the posts. I think this is a great idea, and coming from you at the same time as me is rather interesting.

I think that Xelnia has a good idea. Allow me to propose a structure for a tournament that I had been thinking about lately. It is more based on the model used in Chess Tournaments. Let's say about 50 people all payed in about $10 for registration. That would give about $500 to spread around. We could have a structure like this. Each division would be based upon the players present score on the High Score List. And, yes, hopefully people are not going to be sitting on any good scores just to get into a lower division. Update your scores when they come and be honest about it.

1) 1.1M to 1.2M
                        First: $35
                        Second: $20
                        Third: $15
2) 1M to 1.09K
3) 900K to 999K
4) 600K to 899K
5) 400K to 599K
6) 200K to 399K
7) 0 to 199K

Obviously this is just an idea for a structure. We could have less divisions. This is more like what Chess tournaments do which I like. That is, you are ranked together with people of similar skill and then you can compete with just those people in a single division in order to win a cash prize. Since it only costs $10 to get in, everyone would have a chance to win an equal amount of money no matter what division you are in. And since we don't just have one or maybe just two people putting up money, we are all contributing to the pot. $10 is not really a lot, and higher divisions can pay more to increase the pot for that division, and given the potential of maybe only having three people registered in your division, you may already be guaranteed money... though not sure how to address these cases due to lack of participation unless they get put together with another division and you spread the money out over the top six scores there. It may take different forms based on who was registered and it would take some time and effort on the part of one or two people to manage, or even more, if we rotate perhaps. Chess people have tournaments like this almost twice a month if you know where to go for the next tournament in the area. It is not a lot of money to win, but it makes it fun, and it pushes us to do better in the heat of competition, and to move up into higher divisions as time goes on, like Chess Ratings. Though maybe a rating system can be created to based on our high score and is modified based on tournament scores. That way, if one personals high score is a freak of nature, they will slowly drift to a lower level helping them get a chance. Obviously I don't expect people to exploit this and purposely do badly in tournaments because after all it costs $10, lol. Just an idea. I know that we have a lot of number type people that could have a lot of fun with a rating system, and monthly tournaments that we can all play at and enjoy. Any thoughts?

Maybe this is for another thread but what do people think about a rating system as I described. Earlier today I saw a someone post a challenge where we can play one on one. Well, this happens in chess to so if someone with a slightly lower player challenges another player with a higher rating and if they played against one another for the night this would be a "rated game" and would impact the rating of the two players involved, like in a tournament. Any thoughts?

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:24 pm »
This structure is a step in a good direction I think!

I do feel that "monthly" is too frequent, however.

I think tourneys are better as a seasonal thing. More buildup, more excitement.

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Josephjo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »
I support this 100% particularly a tournament for the beginners (as I am one). After watching plenty of streams at the weekend though I'm not sure their are many beginners left on here!

Keep all levels of play in this community happy is a brilliant idea and judging by the WCR would see some leaps in PB's.

I'm a late comer to this party even though I've been watching and listening for a long time. I finally decided to give the game a try and must now confess I am addicted to it - mainly down to the fact that That Big Ape keeps cheating me! (or maybe I'm making the wrong decisions)

I'm barely past the 100k threshold (IMO not bad for a weeks play) - So any streaming would be very painful to watch for you experts. However any competition against fellow bottom of the barrel dwellers would be most welcome.

Keep up the Good work and long may this forum keep it's current vibe!

~Julian

retrojojo @ twitch
josephjo @ retrouprising
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:53:34 pm by Josephjo »
" Its not how you play the game but who you have backing up the bullshit."

From The Book Of Sczerby 2:18
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:11:57 pm »
I can't speak for everyone, but quality of play generally has very little if anything to do with why I'm watching a particular stream.

Honestly, I find beginners MORE interesting to watch.

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:41:23 pm »
I'll participate for sure if something like this happens, fun idea.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:59:48 am »
i'm down. let me know

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:43 am »
Honestly, I find beginners MORE interesting to watch.

Yeah, I agree. I have to admit that it's very interesting to watch Billy Mitchell play.

1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

SQUIIDUX

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:45 am »
^This!

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 01:32:17 pm »
Yeah, I agree. I have to admit that it's very interesting to watch Billy Mitchell play.

I just got off the phone with Billy.  He had this to say about you:

"At the next Kong Off, I want to play beside that guy again.  What's his name, Vinnie Tabarnak?  Ha, that kid really cracks me up!"   8)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer