Author Topic: To stream, or not to stream...  (Read 4216 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
To stream, or not to stream...
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:52:52 am »
I've been streaming every single time I play, for the past few months.  When I first started streaming, I remember being a little nervous...a little distracted...watching every now and then to see if anyone was actually watching...responding to the chat or just striking up a conversation every now and then.

After a short while, I felt like the fact that I was streaming had absolutely 0 effect on my gameplay.  I was used to it. 

Recently I stopped...er, started playing less 'other' games to focus more on DK.  I started getting deeper and deeper into games, putting up 500k-600k games almost every day.  What I noticed was, when I get into the 300k range, especially if I am on my first guy, I start to tense up, slow down on pace, and even make stupid mistakes (for example the 700k game a few days ago where I was at 500k+ at 1M pace and hadn't lost a guy yet...I died twice on springs and blew up that game quickly).

Shaun brought up a question, asked if maybe the stream/chat may have been effecting my game at all.  I honestly didn't think it was, but yesterday I wanted to see if there was any truth to it.

I played one game when I got home from work, and although it ended in the low 600k range, it felt 'easier'.  My pace was higher (I was at 521k by L12-2, with 1 guy in reserve), I felt a little more relaxed, and most importantly...all my deaths were due to either screwings, or very difficult scenarios...not one death that I would call a 'stupid mistake'...and no spring deaths.

As much as I like streaming...it's the ultimate way to interact with the community, and your play/games/skill level/everything is completely transparant...but I might try more games "in the dark", and just record them with my video camera for a while. 

I also wondered if anyone else has tried this in the past, and has found that the stream may be having a small subconscious effect on your gameplay...that you may not notice.  I guess it's tough to prove, but may be worth thinking about.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

Re: To stream, or not to stream...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 09:17:55 am »
i rarely stream, i have been meaning to make an effort to start streaming more but my cab is offline for repairs and mame is a bit buggy...

for me its definitely a hindrance, iv probably not done it enough to become used to it but im definitely very conscious of having viewers and it can make me play nervous and edgy...

apart from the added pressure of having an audience, reading chat and talking while playing surely has to be bad for your game, no matter how used to it you are...maybe its just me, i have trouble with focus anyway, but i dont think i could string a proper sentence together while concentrating properly on the game...

i know you can play DK on autopilot for periods, but itll bite you in the ass sooner or later!

i wrote in my twitch welcome message that i probably wasnt reading chat so people didnt think i was ignoring them  :)

8)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06:12 am »
It's absolutely a distraction, but at the same time I love it. Sometimes my chat is very quiet even when there are viewers. Sometimes you want it to start up a little to get adrenaline going. After about 300-400k is when I'll try to tone out the chat or not be involved. Occasionally i'll get random question deep in a game like "what's your favorite song/group" or something that make your stop and think to answer the question and it is a little distraction. There's been times that chats amongst the viewers are going on and I try to keep up between boards, I even found myself a few times "Mid-board" turning around once to re-read something real quick.

These are the distractions that I allow that have prevented me from following through on my next goal. I'll have some wine while I play, I jam to good music, and I like to interact sometimes when playing. I want it to be a good fun time for myself. But, I pay the price for it with stupid mistakes.

I thought of doing the same, playing without streaming, but it would drive me nuts if I got a game going and it's not being broadcasted. Then would have to wait for TG to accept and approve the submission.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:38:08 am by LMDAVE »
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:42:13 am »
I've talked about this before, and streaming is absolutely a hindrance to me. Not every day, but some days. It's also a bit of a hassle to set up. So, I haven't been doing it lately.

I just can't play my best when I'm craning my neck to look at the chat window after every screen and yammering with Allen or whoever. And Mitch is seriously the Death Bringer. The second his name pops up, I die every time!

Having said that, I also sorta miss it and have been wanting to do some streams.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:28:01 pm »
I'll play devil's advocate;

I began streaming the day after presidents day (2/19/13), at that my time my pb was 596,600.  Every game of DK that I have played since my first stream, every single time I sat down in front of the cab, it was live.  This was a personal choice.

During the ~4 months that I have played exclusively "live", I have pondered this question in my head more times than one can count.  I decided that it has not hindered my performance in the long run.  There are numerous specific deaths that I can attribute directly to chat-based loss of focus and eventual game collapse.  Everyone will have their own level of gameplay/chat interaction that can be maintained without hindrance, if I die from looking at the chat, then I shouldn't have been looking at the chat.

There is also an un-countable number of great things that have come from streaming.  I have met a minimum of 20-30 truly wonderful people, had real time conversations with critical input for gameplay strategy, learned about new music, laughed, laughed till I cried, learned the Infinite power of trollery and so on. 

I truly feel that playing with an audience not only lightens the mood, but it is a crucial step in attaining the ability to play with "watching eyes" of a live venue.  It keeps you on your toes; when others are watching, you have greater accountability for your actions, because the "judging" eyes of the world are upon you.  Knowing that others could be watching makes me take things more seriously, at least in theory.  If I were to play on my own and not stream, I could get "stale" or be stupidly risky without anyone seeing it.

Summary: the eyes of our peers add accountability to our actions, which ultimately can increase, the likelihood of correct decision making and comfort with the stress of competing in a live event.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:39:16 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:41:13 pm »
Geez, that post REALLY makes me want to stream now.

That was like the speech in Braveheart.

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »
And Mitch is seriously the Death Bringer. The second his name pops up, I die every time!

I'm sorry! :(
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:05:57 am »
One possible solution which I am sure some people may do is stream but don't have your chat or anything up. Just make note for people to know that you are not watching chat and just stream. On lighter days, open the chat, and on days you just want to focus, like the upcoming WCR then just lower your chat and play, no need for distractions. I may do this, so if it is during the WCR, then I may have chat down, and then once I lose my game, I will read through, say a few things, and then lower the chat to start up another game. :)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 02:32:52 am »
The only thing about putting your stream on "interaction lockdown" is that it's not very interesting to watch. Without interaction, streaming is kind of pointless for both streamer and viewer.

The WCRs are different because, since everyone's playing, there nobody around to watch you! Not for more than a minute or two anyway.