Author Topic: Crazy Kong kits and hardware development  (Read 9009 times)

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Re: Crazy Kong kits and hardware development
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 06:32:59 am »
It's just about ready to go!

I now have boards for the Multi Crazy Kong kit and also the Falcon Crazy Kong to Nintendo edge adapter.
I just have a few things left to check to make sure everything is good.

The newest addition to the game kit is Crazy Kong Part 2 2023 revision which fixes many visual glitches and missing animations (plus hammer music) in Crazy Kong to.. well, make the game a nicer experience.

Thanks all!
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 07:18:24 am »
Cool!  Awesome job  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline spindaddy56

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 12:04:39 pm »
What PCB is needed?
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 01:08:04 pm »
What PCB is needed?

The Crazy Kong to Nintendo edge adapter is specifically for single PCB Falcon-style Crazy Kong boards.  They have a 36 pin edge connector.  Clones or copies of Falcon's Crazy Kong board should work too.
Other kinds of Crazy Kong boards have different edge pinouts, including the two PCB Falcon boardsets.

The Multi Crazy Kong/Crazy Kong Remix kit on the other hand should work on pretty much any *normal* Crazy Kong board - Falcon, Orca, etc...  ...as long as it isn't a bootleg of a bootleg (eg: actually bootleg Galaxian or Scramble hardware)
This kit though, expects Crazy Kong Part II color PROMs to be present.  If you have green girders or something else unusual, the game ought to  run but who knows what colors you'll get.

And lastly, the kit plugs into the Z80 socket on your Crazy Kong PCB.  Some boards have their Z80 soldered directly to the board.  If your board has a soldered Z80, you will need to desolder it and solder in a 40 pin socket.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 07:16:11 pm »
This is it.  The boards are ready and I'm ready to start sending them out to people!

The Crazy Kong Remix Multi-Game Kit includes:
Crazy Kong Remix
Crazy Kong 2023 Revision (fixes many visual glitches, restores some missing animations and adds hammer music!)
Crazy Kong
Crazy Kong Part II
Big Kong
Crazy Kong Alternate Levels
Plus all the extra stuff like options for free play, saving scores for all games, each game has it's own settings and a game select menu.

https://www.dkremix.com/product/ckremix/15

The Crazy Kong to Nintendo Adapter:
Plugs into Falcon-type Crazy Kong boards and converts the 36 pin edge connector into a Nintendo compatible 44 pin edge connector to make it easy to connect a Crazy Kong board into a Nintendo cabinet!  For use with or without a Nintendo switcher but if your cabinet uses all the little individual connectors to connect to your DK PCB, you will need to get a separate Nintendo Pin To Edge adapter from Mikes Arcade as this adapter doesn't include all the little connectors, just the edge connector.

https://www.dkremix.com/product/ck2nintendo/14

Thank you

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 07:33:09 pm »
Kongrats!  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 07:11:36 pm »
Here's a higher quality video of the final Crazy Kong Remix kit showing gameplay from Crazy Kong 2023 Revision (same gameplay as Crazy Kong Part II but with quality of life improvements to the graphics) and Crazy Kong Remix.

Video captured using Mr. Video + GVUSB2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tSv570ff34

Offline jammvyy

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2023, 08:02:08 am »
Cool, I love the mini games and Big kong adition :)
Member for 1 Year

Offline _Zaphod_

• Prime Сasual Dating True Females
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2023, 09:16:37 pm »
I have what should be a very simple request for these modifications.

Extend the spinning death animation to actually sync with the crazy kong death music.  specifically, mario should stop on his back at note 15, where the long pause is. This changed animation will take no more time, but spend more time spinning and less time on the back.

I can't imagine why this change was not made. :)