Author Topic: The Jimmy Linderman Memorial Tournament  (Read 5349 times)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
The Jimmy Linderman Memorial Tournament
« on: October 12, 2021, 02:32:40 pm »
As many of you are now aware, one of the greatest classic arcade players, as well as its ambassadors, Jimmy Linderman passed away recently.  As someone who competed with Jimmy for a great number of years, I can tell you he was both a fierce competitor and wonderful human.

Originally, I thought a nice way to honor his memory would be to do a stream of his favorite games this weekend, then our illustrious DK analyzer and all around good dude, Xelnia suggested perhaps we start up a tourney of his favorites games on cagtournaments.com.  So, with the help of JohnBart (as well as Barra and VON) we present to you the Jimmy Linderman Memorial Tournament.

https://www.CAGTournaments.com/SuperSupreme

It's less a tournament really, more like a celebration of Jimmy and the games he loved...and loved them he did.  Often Jimmy would sing along with the theme music of the games all the while destroying it seemingly with ease.  Singing while you play will be encouraged during this event!  Have as much fun as Jimmy did while playing and stream your fun AS WELL!

A donation to a diabetes charity/charities will be made at the conclusion of the tournament with the amount varying depending on certain secret Jimmy achievements players make during the tournament!  The primary goal though is to honor this man and reminisce about the great times those of us lucky enough to know him, shared with him via his greatest passion, classic arcade games.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:34:31 pm by TheSunshineFund »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline furiouswolf666

• Kicker and Magic Sword World Record Holder!!
    • Awards
Re: The Jimmy Linderman Memorial Tournament
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 01:14:22 pm »
What happened to him? Is he the Mr. Do WR holder?
"If you can beat that score go for it!"
Member for 5 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline bryguy

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 12:39:44 pm »
Yes he is. He did it in Reading, PA at Challenge Arcade in the mall. I was there to witness it. Amazing!
Member for 3 Years

Offline creech

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 04:30:47 am »
I think I'm done with the Jimmy games. It's been an honor to play in his memory. Like I said, I never met him personally, but have seen the scores and some of the great stories about him singing while playing. Remember him crushing us in Pacmania in an mgl. It was great seeing Don Hayes and Bryan Wagner in this tourney, legends in their own right. It was good to partake in a tourney with those gentlemen. Thanks SWags for setting it all up. Rest easy Jimmy

Creech
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 04:33:26 am by creech »
Member for 4 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 09:22:55 pm »
What a great tourney!  Thanks to everyone who came out to support it and I hope you had lots of fun playing Jimmy's favorite games.  Special congratulations to Barra who played at an extremely high level and managed to take home the tournament victory!  Also special shoutout to Falcor781 who had the highest score on half of the tournament games!  Wow.

Now to the good stuff...thanks to both anonymous donations as well as the secret achievements met, we were able to raise a total of $1140 for various Diabetes related charities.  Each secret achievement that was met, triggered a $20 donation and you fine folks hit those secret bonuses, 12x this tournament!  Here was the breakdown:

Eagle - Achieve 100,000 points. (None)

Pac-Mania - Finish the game on one credit (None)

Galaga '88 - Achieve 1,000,000 points (None)

Tetris - Achieve 1,000,000 points (Falcor781)

Klax  - Achieve 2,000,000 points (Falcor781)

Moon Patrol - Lose your credit on the first appearance of the "Linderman Rock" zone (Fly, Creech, Ivanstorm1973)

Mario Bros - "Bop" the red fireball on Levels 1 and/or 2 (Barra, Fly, Starcastle_Zookeeper, Syscrusher, TerenceW)

Crazy Kong - Achieve 700,000 points (None)

Super Breakout - Achieve 2,000 points (None)

Mr. Do - Achieve 1,000,000 points (Falcor781, Bigredbird)

Thanks to everyone who played, triggered those donations and special thanks to our anonymous donors as well.

Cheers and RIP Jimmy, love ya.

- TSF
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline johnbart

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 10:04:42 pm »
Big thanks to Wags for making this tournament happen and to everyone who participated for bringing love to the memory and games of Jimmy. This is why I love this community and keep coming back.

Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 12:06:09 am »
Thanks for hosting a great tournament Wags! Had fun playing some new stuff and also revisiting old classics. Also played some (lol) Mr. Do! too

This was a timely reminder that nothing in this life is constant, and that we should be thankful for every day we can spend doing what we love with those we love.

Jimmy sounded like an awesome person to be around and I regret not being able to meet or interact with him, but I've enjoyed the stories from all of those who were privileged enough to.

Jimmy may be gone but his scores and his legacy will live on forever. RIP

Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Synappzz

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 05:41:18 am »
Thank you Wags, and thank you Jimmy.  It was an honour to get to play some of your favourites. RIP
DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Member for 3 Years CK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Evan04

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 01:53:12 pm »
Thanks for hosting the tourney, great job
Member for 3 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 02:28:40 am »
Thanks for organizing this. I had a blast playing these games especially because it was for Jimmy. I thought I would learn a thing or two on them. All I learned was how hard they are. LOL! That and I'm still banned in Falcors chat. I just wanted to tell him GG a few times since he was crushing it.

Thanks again.

Fly
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline bryguy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 12:56:52 pm »
Thank you SW for having this tournament. It was great fun to play these games - a few I hadn't ever tried to get good at. I echo the thoughts above concerning Jimmy and his "Supreme" abilities on these titles, and the warm person he was. RIP buddy.
Member for 3 Years

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 01:51:28 pm »
Thanks Waggy for organising the tourney, was hoping to submit on every game for once but life kept intervening  <mad>

Still, came in ahead of Riley so no matter  Kappa

Seriously tho, what a lovely thing to do - organising a tribute tournament to a fellow many of you knew and met and loved full of the games he knew and conquered and loved - bravo.

And hats off to Super Supreme as he merges with the cosmos.
Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer