Author Topic: Sliding Springs  (Read 3699 times)

Offline 80sArcadeKid

• Awards
Sliding Springs
« on: July 25, 2021, 03:46:29 am »
So I usually go from safe spot at the top of the ladder to the safe spot on top of the elevator when I see the spring hit at Kongs right foot (foot furthest from the exit ladder). It usually seems to be good a little before or after, but I've been caught out a few times and have wondered what happened. So I went back and noticed that the spring in question that I used for my 'go' moment actually slide/teleported to the right along the top of Kongs foot and didn't even hit the girder. This is in MAME and just wanted to confirm it is a known 'bug/issue' with springs on original hardware as well as on MAME?

A mate said there was info on the forum about it but I can't seem to find any using the search functionality. Can someone point me in the right direction?

See attached video (with audio commentary) for reference.
Member for 3 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline rayfinkel

• Awards
Re: Sliding Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 01:49:54 pm »
wt da

Offline Lyriell

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 08:57:49 pm »
 <Allen>

<stirpot>

Dadfk?
Member for 6 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 06:45:40 am »
That is very interesting. I have no information whatsoever but I can see what you mean about it sliding to the right when it hits the girder.
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline 80sArcadeKid

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 09:36:57 pm »
So in this case it doesn't even hit the girder, it stops at the top of his foot, slides right, then springs back up from the new position.
What I'm really after is does it occur in original PCBs. Prob gonna trawl through a few Twitch streams to see if I can spot on original hardware.
I mean I'll carry on playing, but just something I noticed and wanted to see if anyone had ever noticed this particular thing before.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 12:41:37 am »
Do you still have the original INP? The video looks like it skips a frame/frames because the other two springs on screen move farther than they should as well. Maybe a hiccup in the recording or MAME at that exact moment. Comparing to the original INP, frame by frame, would be helpful. Also, people might be referring to the Spring Theory thread, which has a lot of info on spring positions and the like.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Prow

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 07:23:56 am »
xelnia is correct, this is just skipped frames. It's obvious when you step through the video frame by frame and also watch the bottom-right spring that is close to falling off the screen when the "slide" occurs.
Member for 3 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline 80sArcadeKid

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 10:31:41 pm »
Ok well if that's the case (skipped frames) I'm not sure why. I've upgraded to WolfMAME 0.233 now.
Attached is an image of the settings, can you confirm they are correct?
Everything is default except low latency was turned on cause @rayfinkel said to! :)

The PC is super fast for MAME gaming (i7-8700k, RTX2080) so I find it odd that it would skip frames, if you play back an inp without throttleing its like 1000% speed.