Author Topic: Steve Wiebe attempting the elusive Donkey Kong “Kill Screen”  (Read 17333 times)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
http://www.denvercomiccon.com/2013/steve-wiebe/

Sure some of you've seen this for the Denver Comicon. The cool thing about this is as long as Steve Wiebe keeps get promoted at these events, it's a win-win for all DK players. It keeps DK and KoK alive.

However, I would like to see Steve step his live game pace up some. I know for these events he only gets so many tries and crazy atmosphere, but I probably would have called it a Million point attempt instead of the ellusive killscreen. He seems pretty confortable at crossing the 1M mark live.

Would be awesome to see him top his PB.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Definitely. Just looking at his playing style at the KO2, if he were to just maximize his hammer grabs a bit more, that would be 30k more right there (at least one more barrel per hammer). He could definitely play for 1m pace at these events, and if he wanted to, it doesn't look like it would take him much work to get 1.1m on his own time.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
It would be amazing if Steve decided to go all out again on DK and took the world record back.

Anybody who can get a million in back-to-back games clearly has the potential.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

hchien

As much as I'd love to see Steve get the WR back, I know he won't try for a WR live.  I've discussed this with him before and he plays to please the crowd.  I don't really blame him.  The average person doesn't understand why you need to restart over and over how much harder a WR vs a killscreen is.  A killscreen is pretty much a guarantee for him and an easy way to satisfy the crowd.  The average person would rather see a killscreen than a world record attempt.

Anyhow, good luck to Steve!

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
I would never expect him (or anyone) to get it live. I'd just like to see him "go back to the garage" so to speak.

I don't think he's a 1.2 kind of guy, but he's so close to 1.1.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
King of Kong 2: Back to the Garage

You just named the sequel, Chris.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
I can just picture the 80s movie training montage. At the end of said montage, Wiebe and Billy Mitchell hug it out, but in a totally manly way. Set the entire sequence to Weezer's "In The Garage" and we have ourselves a movie!

King of Kong 2: Back to the Garage

You just named the sequel, Chris.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
Steve is a teacher, so if he's going to put up a score it'll probably be sometime in the summer.  I don't think he does online forums, but I wonder if he's aware of DKF?   

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
I had posted on his FB wall about DKF back in January, probably during the first or second week DKF was up.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Steve is a teacher, so if he's going to put up a score it'll probably be sometime in the summer.  I don't think he does online forums, but I wonder if he's aware of DKF?

First of all, I doubt Steve will try to get the record this summer. We talked about that at the Kong Off 2, and he kindda said:"Every summer, I either have the possibility to play Donkey Kong, or spend time with my family." And I think he obviously rather spend time with his family. But he will probably try a little bit, hopefully!

And Steve definitely knows the existence of the DK forum. 3 months ago, I sent him a Facebook message telling him to take a look at the DK forum if he wanted, and he replied:"Hi Vincent! I'd love to join the forum. Thanks for the invite and look forward to seeing you at the next Kong Off."

Maybe he kindda forgot about the DK forum (he's obviously not the type of guy that goes on forums and stuff).
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Just looking at his playing style at the KO2, if he were to just maximize his hammer grabs a bit more, that would be 30k more right there (at least one more barrel per hammer). He could definitely play for 1m pace at these events, and if he wanted to, it doesn't look like it would take him much work to get 1.1m on his own time.

Yeah, I remember Dean commenting that Steve could score a lot higher if he just tightened up his hammers a bit.

Maybe he kindda forgot about the DK forum (he's obviously not the type of guy that goes on forums and stuff).

I don't mind being labeled as the type of guy that goes on forums.  It's the "...and stuff" portion of that statement which has me understandably concerned.   :)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
"and stuff" means: Going on twitch/streaming.  ;)

Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
"and stuff" means: Going on twitch/streaming.  ;)

Ok, smart guy.

Until the streaming thing happens, all is not lost.  You'll have ample opportunity to laugh at my gameplay in person.

Don't blink, or you're likely to miss a couple of hilarious conveyor deaths.   8)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JNugent

• Just a guy who likes to play games.
    • Awards
If anyone should be streaming his play on Twitch, it's Steve Wiebe... his channel would be blowing up with viewers!

567,200 - Crazy Kong (MAME) - ended on L=21 rivets
555,000 - Donkey Kong (MAME)
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
If anyone should be streaming his play on Twitch, it's Steve Wiebe... his channel would be blowing up with viewers!

3 years ago, Steve Wiebe played at the E3, and his 3 attempts were streamed live on justin.tv (twitch.tv was called "justin.tv" back in the day!). I remember he got 900k on his first game, 650k on his second game, and around 990k on his last game (kill screen) on his 3rd man. And he got a peak of 8k viewers on justin.tv (even more than Allen! haha). So streaming his games could be a good idea, it can grab some good attention!