Author Topic: New audio recordings reveal a plot by Billy Mitchell to falsify evidence  (Read 11171 times)

Offline ersatz_cats

• Awards
https://www.twingalaxies.com/ersatzcats/wall/8641/newly-revealed-audio-recordings-reveal-a-plot-by-billy-mitchell-to-falsify-evidence/page/1

I just did a long write-up on TG about a couple audio recordings TG submitted to the court this week in the Billy Mitchell lawsuit case. I'm not going to repost the whole write-up here (most of it is background on David Race's involvement in the dispute thus far), but here's the end of the write-up including links to the audio (which you all should definitely save):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wsW_qG6Jw3w9-OGep4UyE2vYSudqKuLM/view

The voice mail is less than a minute, so I can include a full transcript here:

"David Race, it's Billy Mitchell. How're you doing, sir? I was talking to Chris Ayra. Naturally, we talk about you when we talk. I hadn't talked to you in a while. I hadn't talked to you since you've generously given so much effort on my behalf and, well, sometimes that hits me softer than others, harder than others, and I just wanted to call and say hi. I hope things are well with you. We, a small group of us, are going to be in Indianapolis next month, and I think of Indiana, I think of Ohio, and geez, they're not all that far apart and, gee, I think, I think, and I wonder if you might be available to come by and say hi. That's all. Alright, guy. The very best to you. I appreciate everything. I'll talk to you again. Bye."

Gosh, Billy seems rather appreciative of all the work David was doing to defend him. Kinda undercuts the whole "I had nothing to do with him, he was just out operating on his own accord" bit, huh?

But here's the real whammy! Here's this post's raison d'etre. An 11-minute and 26-second segment from April 2018 where Billy discusses his Master Plan. I'll post the full transcript for this recording in the comments below, [Go to the TG post for that] but honestly, this is way too good for the transcript. Sit back and listen to Billy in his own words:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11PLn9I4w_9awQB-jZb0-V82DxeXchVgl/view

Okay, before we even get to Billy's wacky hijinks, let's establish a few things. First, regarding the legality of these recordings, the opening "Okay, you ready?" makes it sound as though Billy understood that David was beginning a recording. (Although, it turns out, David lives in Ohio which is a "one-party" recording state, meaning that it's perfectly legal for him to record his own conversation with Billy even if Billy was not aware of it.) Billy also paraphrases Rob Childs as saying that since David "is not as technical" as others, he doesn't skip anything and thus finds things that other techs overlook, adding "He's certainly becoming an expert whether he likes it or not." And as for Carlos, Billy references having casual chats with Carlos, and even claims to have confided in Carlos his big "Top Secret" (which we will discuss shortly), undermining his claims that Carlos was some random nobody who had no real involvement with Billy or his defense.

But yes, apparently, during the active dispute, Billy had concocted a plan to falsify and misrepresent evidence, with the sole apparent goal of trying to discredit Twin Galaxies and dispute participants!

Basically, from the sound of it, Billy would play a 1,062,800 Donkey Kong score, and would record it twice. One recording would be a direct feed with no sound, attempting to make the tape appear as similar to his "direct feed" (MAME) tapes from yesteryear as possible. The other recording would be an over-the-shoulder camera with full confirmation, including filming the board and control panel. Billy would then have the direct feed tape sent to Jace by way of an unidentified third party in New Hampshire, hoping that it would be accepted by TG and dispute participants as the long lost Boomers tape. Billy, at least in his mind, would then sit back and watch as all his jealous haters would froth over this tape, pick it apart, and declare it was MAME like the other tapes. Then, once everyone has committed to this tape being MAME, Billy would reveal that the score was actually a brand new game hitting the same score, and he would publish the over-the-shoulder camera showing that it was, in fact, genuine arcade the whole time. And thus, Billy believes, TG and everyone in the dispute would be forever discredited.

There are so many hilarious elements to this. First of all, how could he possibly believe this plan would even succeed? The first thing people would do is look at screen transitions, see that they're arcade transitions (assuming Billy would actually play this game on a real DK board), and say "Okay, it's arcade." And if Billy didn't play genuine arcade, if he played on a multicade, his over-the-shoulder video would reflect that.

The second thing people would do is compare the tape to what footage we have of the tape played at Big Bang in 2010. And, of course, people would immediately say "Yeah, this isn't the Boomers game." In the recording, it's hilarious listening to David's consternation, as he tries to interject to point out this rather significant flaw in Billy's plan, which Billy simply fails to acknowledge.

I mean, I know I'm taking a risk straying from the facts of the case, but it feels like there's some serious projection going on here. "They're just jealous haters who don't care about the truth! They'll jump on any excuse they can find to attack and slander me." Okay? This from a guy who is now on the record bragging about upstaging his closest competitors by exactly 1,000 points, on tapes which the community has proven were not produced authentically as claimed. (Although, the actual total Billy upstaged Steve and Hank by was 1,100. Maybe Billy's memory is failing.)

Speaking of projection, hasn't Billy spent the last two and a half years accusing Dwayne Richard of basically this exact same thing (i.e., producing a tape and presenting it under false pretenses to see if they can slip it by Twin Galaxies)?

In fact, if you're in Billy's position, with your scores under serious dispute, why would you even put yourself on the record as being anywhere near a plan like this? You really want the headline to be "Newly revealed audio recordings reveal a plot by Billy Mitchell to falsify evidence"? Why would you directly play into the notion that you're a scammer who passes off fake tapes? Forget the MAME evidence. Why would Twin Galaxies have any reason to trust you after that? Why would anyone?

Thinking more about this, something else occurred to me. When Billy loses, he likes to simply declare victory anyway. When asked in an interview about losing the lawsuit against Regular Show, he just suggested the case wasn't necessarily done yet. Billy freely spins the truth into convenient narratives (such as that he hit his contested scores "exactly on the head" when he failed to do so, or that his critics disappear when Billy scores a million when they actually don't). If Billy had gone through with this stunt, the obvious result would be that dispute participants, who had become well-versed in identifying MAME recordings from genuine arcade due to a host of signatures particular to one variant or the other, would have sussed out which platform his mystery tape was played on, and also would have proven that it was definitely not the long lost Boomers tape. But that wouldn't have stopped Billy from simply declaring victory, yet again. I could see him conducting this caper, annoying everyone in the dispute who would have seen right through it, but then simply turning around and declaring to the world that he had successfully put one over on his "haters" who, he would claim, all took the bait and all discredited themselves.

And that brings me to what might be the most hilarious part of this whole plot. In that recording, he seems quite confident that he's going to match his old score in no time, doesn't he? Billy likes to say he got this score so effortlessly in 2010 (at least until that story becomes inconvenient, and then suddenly extra undisclosed days of practice and attempts get tacked on in later retellings). In reality, it took Billy two years of Twitch streaming to surpass this score, which was achieved on a score pace he still has yet to match. It seems this whole wacky escapade was foiled by nothing more than Billy's own inability to redo a score he wanted us to believe he could do any time he wanted.

But really, who knows what goes on in that guy's head. Maybe his next argument will be the "April Fools defense".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:09:59 am by ersatz_cats »
Member for 6 Years

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
Re: New audio recordings reveal a plot by Billy Mitchell to falsify evidence
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 10:00:20 am »
Thanks as always Walter for putting all of this together in a smorgasbord of lies revealed.  <Billy> <Kuh> <Walter>
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 02:49:26 pm »
The irony with that audio clip is inescapable.

For years Billy warned TG officials that Roy Shildt had said that he would at some point try to "blow one past TG", and that whole Redmond/Steve's garage incident which was recapped as part of KoK brought those concerns into the forefront once again.

Here we are 15+ years later and Billy has been caught plotting to do exactly the same thing to TG.

I said this once before...he's following the "Roy Shildt Playbook". Many of Roy's stunts which Billy decried decades back, he is doing those very same things in the here and now.
Member for 8 Years

Offline History Man

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 06:50:57 pm »
Does David Race have any public contact information? (I'm not on Facebook.)
Member for 3 Years

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:50:35 pm »
I guess I will play just a bit of devil's advocate by pointing out that the plan, as outlined here, was not actually to submit a fraudulent score. What he was planning to do was play a new, legitimate game, submit it under the false pretense that it was the 2010 performance, and then subsequently reveal that it was a new performance. Coming clean (once he'd embarrassed everybody to his satisfaction or whatever) seems to have been part of this plan.

So, while the plan as outlined was certainly devious and manipulative, it was more of a psyop than an actual attempt to cheat, and the game itself would have (presumably) been on the up-and-up.

Shows a lot about how his mind works though, and makes it all the more believable that there was skulduggery at work in the original submissions.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Snowflake

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:26:24 pm »
I guess I will play just a bit of devil's advocate by pointing out that the plan, as outlined here, was not actually to submit a fraudulent score. What he was planning to do was play a new, legitimate game, submit it under the false pretense that it was the 2010 performance, and then subsequently reveal that it was a new performance. Coming clean (once he'd embarrassed everybody to his satisfaction or whatever) seems to have been part of this plan.

So, while the plan as outlined was certainly devious and manipulative, it was more of a psyop than an actual attempt to cheat, and the game itself would have (presumably) been on the up-and-up.

Shows a lot about how his mind works though, and makes it all the more believable that there was skulduggery at work in the original submissions.

i have simliar feelings IF we take the plan at face value.  I've stated as much at twin galaxies and it seemed to really bother some people i would suggest that. as it was stated, it was more of a test than a true plot to cheat. but consider this, what do we think he would've done if people correctly declared it was arcade? is it possible he actually did want help faking a score and just gave this story to david to convince him to help as well as to be a plan b if he later got caught?  submit a fake score, if it works it works, and if it doesnt work just explain it was all part of a test.

in order for such a test to be fair, he would've had to inform jace. you know "how jace i'm gonna submit this fake dont tell the dk guys, we need to test them".

a dirty cop for example, when caught, cant just say "um i was working undercover, i didnt tell my superiors cause i didnt wanna risk someone finding out", if you're gonna go undercover and engage in such things it needs to be documented somewhere to make sure this isnt just the cover story
Member for 7 Years

Offline colecomeister

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 04:34:04 am »

Yes, the "cheating" aspect has been misunderstood or as you suggest misapplied in reference to the planned submission of a "lost tape." Although most people I talked to didn't think the plan would work, it's reasonable to conclude that his aim was to discredit/derail the tribunal review. It's a weird top secret plan since Mitchell was supposedly working to exonerate himself at the time, Carlos had another week of testing before submitting his results for example. But here have Mitchell sharing a plan to submit a 1.062 direct feed tape that would apparently surface in New Hampshire and be anonymously sent to TG - the goal was to give it the aura of being Mitchell's lost Boomer's tape, whereafter he imagined the haters would denounce it as MAME, and then he'd send in (or post to YouTube?) a second video featuring Mitchell on-camera that showed the same game from an over-the-shoulder camera, confirming it was arcade, complete with equipment and PCB check. With the adjudicators and Jace embarrassed and discredited, Mitchell references twice I think that he would be banned after revealing his involvement in the tapes. Presumably the overall integrity of the dispute would be damaged in the eyes of the wider gaming community or public, giving some room for people to doubt the process and its conclusions around the 1.047 and 1.050 tapes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:01:32 am by colecomeister »
Member for 6 Years

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 05:05:32 pm »
That's what's so weird about this plan! What did he think would be damaged more after the Big Reveal - the credibility of the dispute, or the credibility of him?

"Haha, look, I just successfully tricked you all, demonstrating my enjoyment of dramatic sleight-of-hand mindgames. This ought to convince you that those three older performances were definitely real, and not also tricks."
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 05:45:03 am »
It reminds me of someone who knowingly submitted an improper format performance to TG just to "test" the system. Nobody had a heads up. Someone noticed the issue and the submitter was like "hey you passed the test kinda" but I remember thinking what a shitty way to test the system while ruining the chances that anyone will look at your runs again.
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Snowflake

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 01:05:08 pm »
It reminds me of someone who knowingly submitted an improper format performance to TG just to "test" the system. Nobody had a heads up. Someone noticed the issue and the submitter was like "hey you passed the test kinda" but I remember thinking what a shitty way to test the system while ruining the chances that anyone will look at your runs again.

i remember that and fought the urge to include the example.  without shaming the individual, for those cocnerend, he wanst banned because he didnt follow the rules of the track but nor did he falsify evidence. you can have wrong setting for example at tg, but as long as you dont doctor the video to make the settings appear to be correct then you havent falsified evidence. bannings there are only for falsified evidence thats why that guy get away with it. its hard to claim submittnig mame as arcade though is just submitting to the wrong track especially with all the effort made to make it appear like arcade.
Member for 7 Years

Offline creech

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 07:01:53 am »
it should be just an open and shut case in court. Just as it was with anyone with a logical brain. Is this going to keep going on forever?
Member for 4 Years CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline creech

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 07:16:02 am »
Like why isnt it just played out in court?

Offline creech

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 07:17:43 am »
what I mean is, what is the discussion?

Offline datagod

• Howdy folks!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 09:36:13 am »
I just don't understand why an innocent person would go through so much trouble to discredit an investigative body, then tell others that there is evidence that will complete exonerate them but nobody can see it at this time.  Seriously.

I saw a post on Facebook where one of Team Billy is saying "I saw the evidence that was not made available to TG or the public that proves Billy is innocent". 

Why on Earth would you hide evidence?  Why would you have evidence that can clear your name but refuse to show it, refuse to even take part in the investigation (dispute).  An innocent person would have to be crazy to act that way. 

FailFish  FailFish  FailFish  FailFish  FailFish  FailFish  FailFish
Lets be pals!
Member for 10 Years

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 07:55:27 pm »
 <Billy> is a drama queen, first and foremost. He has a core need to do everything at the last possible moment for dramatic effect. Here are a few shining examples...

Initial filming of "Chasing Ghosts" Aug/05 in Laconia -this was the day of the recreation of the Life Magazine shot. Mike and Lincoln had a small 3 hour window with which to get the shot both setup and them cleaned up inclusive of dealing with any straggler vehicles parked in the background prior to the shoot.

I was there with everyone else. With the shot all ready Billy was nowhere in sight. The two guys running the show asked Walter where he was, then  <Walter> makes another infamous call. Then at the last possible moment, his royal highness saunters out from about a block or so away from around the corner where some cars were parked. He was likely waiting there the whole time so as to add dramatic effect...and in the process wasting everyone else's time including that of the producer and director.

Airport Interview - I watched a much older interview of Billy quite awhile back. He was sitting in a cafe area within sight of the area where you go thru the final gate to board the plane, and "last call" was being made. He was pointedly telling the interviewer to "watch this" and he proceeded to again wait until the last possible second before getting off his chair to saunter over to the employee monitoring the gate. He gave a reason for doing this to the interviewer as well which I cannot clearly remember, but it was something like "because (I) can".

ACAM 2005 - who can forget the orchestrated series of events leading up to the showing of that 1.047M tape at the event ? From the "wrong tape" given to Doris Self which turned out to be a wrestling tape to the orchestrated drama regarding  <Kuh> being filmed delivering the tape to ACAM with instructions to "guard it with his life" to having Kuh show a third of it each night with the full presentation at the event itself. All to generate drama...all orchestrated in advance at the expense of a competitor  <Wiebe>  who actually bothered to show up and play live in front of his peers.

So it would not surprise me in the least, court proceeding or not, for him to pull the same nonsense once again.

Maybe, if he has some real pull, he can convince someone to pose the question during the current grilling of the new Supreme Court candidate and ask her how she would rule in this all-important matter which, in Billy's own words, is a conspiracy on par with the Kennedy assassination.

What is truly laughable is what Billy actually considers to be "evidence". He can have a hundred people sign affidavits testifying to his "character" or "believability"...it means squat in a court of law.

In the unrelated court case of "The Preppy Murder" from the 1980's convicted murderer Robert Chambers' family had their local bishop testifying as to his "character" even though he was guilty as sin, so such testimony is meaningless in a court of law other than to show who someone knows...or who is willing to lie on their behalf no matter what the stakes.
Member for 8 Years