Author Topic: The DK3 $550 repetitive bluescreen bounty  (Read 45480 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
The DK3 $550 repetitive bluescreen bounty
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:14:07 pm »
Give or take a few dollars the bounty is now up to $550!  As Vincent would say "Oh Yeah!"

OK, I am doing this for selfish reasons.  I want to see someone hit the repetitive bluescreen besides myself.  8)  Here is what I expect of this person in order to qualify for the bounty. 

1) The first person to hit the repetitive bluescreen gets the prize.  If someone does it after the first person, they get nothing.

2) In order to qualify a person has to hit board 160.  This is where in Donkey Kong 3 the blue board repeats for the first time back to back.  If you get to board 159, the first bluescreen it does not count.

3) The person has to stream themselves doing this live.  I don't care if it's Twitch, Justin.Tv, Ustream or whatever.  Just stream it live.

4) The person has to submit the score to MARP.  If this is done on an Arcade, than I require that you save your video to whatever site you are streaming.  So favorite it if you are on Twitch or Justin.tv.

5) I am allowing this to be done on any settings(Meaning your can do it on Easy, Medium, Hard, or Very Hard.  It's your choice).  So yes Easy/default settings(The easiest settings) are allowed. 

6) This must be done by the end of this year.

7) Have to start out with 3 men plus an extra every 30,000 (That's default settings)

So what does the person get as a prize?

1. $550 (Thanks big time to Ken House, Ross Benziger, Danman123456, Eric Tessler, Monstabonza and pretty cool anonymous donor for the bounty!)
2. Walter Day's autograph on his Twin Galaxies card
3. My autograph on my Twin Galaxies card.  From what I understand this card is still not put in any set, thus making it extremely hard card to get
4. A Twin Galaxies Arcade Token from back in the day.

I will pay shipping for this prize of course.  Thanks for reading this, and hopefully this inspires you to go for the repetitive bluescreen! 8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:27:01 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: The DK3 repetitive bluescreen bounty
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:55:02 am »
I'm not really familiar with the history of DK3 so maybe I'll give it a shot, for the hell of it.  I'll probably need a quick crash-course in the basics. :) Are the record scores on TG up-to-date? If not, where do the records stand with arcade vs. MAME, marathon vs. tourney settings, etc.?

I took a quick look at the game...I'm guessing it's going to take at least a couple of hours to get from board 1 to 160? Three board colors?  Blue, brown/green, and grey? Score rolls over at 1m, but do extra lives roll over?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:08:33 am »
I'm not really familiar with the history of DK3 so maybe I'll give it a shot, for the hell of it.  I'll probably need a quick crash-course in the basics. :) Are the record scores on TG up-to-date? If not, where do the records stand with arcade vs. MAME, marathon vs. tourney settings, etc.?

I took a quick look at the game...I'm guessing it's going to take at least a couple of hours to get from board 1 to 160? Three board colors?  Blue, brown/green, and grey? Score rolls over at 1m, but do extra lives roll over?

The lives do not roll over, but the game does give you 34 extra men plus the 3 you start out with prior to rolling over.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Simpsons99

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:08:21 am »
Nice litttle bounty here George.   can this be done on easy settings?

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:20:40 am »

No.  According to the rules above, it has to be done on any setting.  After that there is some verbiage about easy settings but the first part supercedes anything after it by definition making the rest moot.  Moot.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:22:24 am by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 08:56:51 am »

No.  According to the rules above, it has to be done on any setting.  After that there is some verbiage about easy settings but the first part supercedes anything after it by definition making the rest moot.  Moot.

:o

Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:03:16 am »
Limiting it to MAME is gay. It wont matter because I doubt anyone will do it on either platform but taking out players that have the real game/machine seems crazy, just like Brians 500k none pro mame only bounty. If you want people to ACTUALLY do this, put up some cash like I did with Mappy or John Lexmark did with Robotron and dont limit it to one platform. If you throw up $150 bucks I guarantee you will be that much money poorer and that much entertainment richer in a few weeks.

-Ken

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:07 am »
Yeah, I would likely try it If I wasn't restricted to mame; Especially since I could probably find a working DK3 board-set for less than 80 bucks. 
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:27:18 am »
OK, I will allow Arcade since there seems to be a demand for being allowed for Arcade play.  One condition though.  If you do it on Arcade, you have to save the video after you are done bluescreening the game.  That means favoriting the video if you are on Twitch or JustinTv. 

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:51:08 am »
Yeah, I would likely try it If I wasn't restricted to mame; Especially since I could probably find a working DK3 board-set for less than 80 bucks.

I have an untested one that I picked up in a bulk buy awhile back.  Truly untested since I don't have an edge connector setup in my DK to test it.  Looks complete and clean if you are pin-terested.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:43:38 am »
Well, it is his contest that he created. You could always create your own with the specifications you just mentioned.

Limiting it to MAME is gay. It wont matter because I doubt anyone will do it on either platform but taking out players that have the real game/machine seems crazy, just like Brians 500k none pro mame only bounty. If you want people to ACTUALLY do this, put up some cash like I did with Mappy or John Lexmark did with Robotron and dont limit it to one platform. If you throw up $150 bucks I guarantee you will be that much money poorer and that much entertainment richer in a few weeks.

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 12:02:15 pm »
Well, it is his contest that he created. You could always create your own with the specifications you just mentioned.

-Ken

There is a stark difference between Ken starting a contest for DK3 and the DK3 world record holder starting a Contest. 

For example:

If ken were to "publicly challenge" the CAG community to beat his Dig Dug score, and offer a bounty while only allowing arcade submissions to count, then he would be limiting his competition. Ken would likely receive the exact same, valid, response from the CAG community and here is why...

The point of a "World Record Holder" extending a bounty is to see how good of record he actually has.  Now, if you're extending a bounty to see how good you really are, then why would you limit the people who could compete for your record?  George clearly understands this, because he's offered the "play on any difficulty" option to attract as many potential contenders as possible.  If you are testing the durability of a WR, you should never decide who's able to challenge it.  Although Kens' prose may not have been choice, I believe this was likely the logic he applied when formulating his comment.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:05:37 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 12:34:00 pm »
Fair enough. I'm just saying why crap on the guy's contest. Just don't do the contest, or hold your own.

-Ken

There is a stark difference between Ken starting a contest for DK3 and the DK3 world record holder starting a Contest. 

For example:

If ken were to "publicly challenge" the CAG community to beat his Dig Dug score, and offer a bounty while only allowing arcade submissions to count, then he would be limiting his competition. Ken would likely receive the exact same, valid, response from the CAG community and here is why...

The point of a "World Record Holder" extending a bounty is to see how good of record he actually has.  Now, if you're extending a bounty to see how good you really are, then why would you limit the people who could compete for your record?  George clearly understands this, because he's offered the "play on any difficulty" option to attract as many potential contenders as possible.  If you are testing the durability of a WR, you should never decide who's able to challenge it.  Although Kens' prose may not have been choice, I believe this was likely the logic he applied when formulating his comment.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 01:43:39 pm »
Fair enough. I'm just saying why crap on the guy's contest. Just don't do the contest, or hold your own.

Yes Dear.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:52:29 pm »
If you really want some competition you'll have to offer up cash money.

With a bounty worth less than the postage required to mail it, your competition will likely not garner much interest.

I hope I'm wrong George.  Offering a bounty is a great way to drum up interest in your favorite game, but in my opinion, you have not offered any bounty.