Author Topic: Donkey Kong Training Videos  (Read 40973 times)

corey.chambers

Donkey Kong Training Videos
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:26:18 am »
DONKEY KONG TRAINING VIDEOS

In the upcoming months I will be coming out with a series of at least 4 videos where I will demonstrate and explain each of the 4 screens on the Arcade game Donkey Kong. This list of Donkey Kong Training Videos will be updated as they become available.

[noembed]Rivet Training Video[/noembed]

The Rivet Training Video was the first installment in this series and was the first attempt at the video making process. It was uploaded to Youtube on May 18, 2013, with a running time of 19:07.

[noembed]Barrel Training Video Part 1[/noembed]

[noembed]Barrel Training Video Part 2[/noembed]

Barrel Training Video - Still under-construction! Release date: no later than July 10th, 2013. With a potential running time of over an hour, this video will start with a time index for easy reference.

The Barrel Training Video, second in the series, is the most comprehensive of all the videos and was the first video to incorporate graphs and edited screenshots along with all the original format which was used in the Rivet Training Video.

This video will include the earlier analysis of how to recognize grouping possibilities under Kong.

#1   normal, normal, wild, normal  XX_X  When you see a wild barrel followed by the two normal ones forming the X__X form, then immediately run to far left and do the last minute wall jump from the left edge of the ladder. Wild barrel means wild wall jump! Or you can just wait and time the jumps correctly!

#2   normal, normal, pause, normal X_X__X Jump over the X_X as usual, back jump the second one, either go down ladder to do it again or reset at left pole of ladder. You have to force the first X down next to X__X to make this work. Sometimes that X won’t come down but I execute the jump over, and jump back as usual to be consistent.

#3   normal, normal, normal, normal X__XX This is one of the ones that I move right a bit just over the middle of the ladder and jump straight up like I do with the XX configuration, so I am using the same maneuver as much as possible. When in the air control that last X down and then straight jump again. You will get used to the lack of pause in this scenario and the fact that as you are jumping the first barrel one is ready to be controlled down.

#4   normal, normal, normal, pause X__X__X  In this variation you do the same maneuver by moving right to the middle of the ladder and do a straight jump, you will sense a pause and the fact that there is not a barrel to be readily controlled while you are in the air, so when you land you just do a back jump to your original position. You can die on this jump back if a wild barrel is thrown but this is rare.

As you can see two normals are required to set up X__X, it happens when the first normal runs off the edge of the 6th girder and the second comes down the short ladder forming X__X, when you see this without an immediate pause or wild barrel then prep with the adjust right and straight jump, then follow either point 3 or 4 depending on the pause or absence of pause.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:47:43 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: Rivet Training Video
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:34:20 pm »
This is a great summary video Corey. It would be super helpful for anyone who is unfamilair with, or struggles on, the Rivets; you did a good job with the "basic" strategies and also gave a handful of the useful little extra's (like jumping at the edge of an open rivet) that can really make the difference.

Thanks Buddy!  I think this should go in the Basic Strategy Section also, because any "new" DK player could really benefit from this comprehensive crash course.
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:37:21 pm »
I was streaming this evening and was showing another player some ideas on the Rivet stage and decided to post it here for people to see.  http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/2272597
When I get better at making videos, with edits, etc, one day I would like to make a comprehensive video of each of the levels. A nice compact video with all the good ideas and tricks. I am sure someone else may beat me to it since I don't know how to edit videos and make things look nice. Yes, I agree with your suggestion, it may be better placed on the Basic thread. I am not sure how to move it, but if someone can then I would support it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:00:53 pm by corey.chambers »

corey.chambers

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:11:21 pm »
Here is the Beta version of a video I am still working on. http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00/c/2293975 I streamed what I have so far. I wanted to get some reflections and ideas. It is still unfinished and needs some more additions and editing. Please let me know what works, and what doesn't. What should be in there that isn't etc. I want to do some more work on it, get it finalized, and then post it to my youtube channel. I am planning on doing a video for each of the levels. These are designed to help new players improve their scores and to become familiar with the game. In addition to the 4 training videos I will be placing my killscreen game and my 800K two hammer score as well, with a video on how to download and set up WolfMAME, get the rom to work, and the basics on how to play on MAME. I like the idea of helping newer players do well, and get interested in the game. Please check out my video, let me know any ideas I can add to it. I want to be exhaustive and do it right the first time. Thank you all in advance for any help.

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:29 pm »
I've gotta say thanks mate, your stand near kong jump the fireball and run down a ladder got me outta trouble last night, never thought of that till I saw your vid.
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:04 am »
Who actually did this first?  Dean was the first person I saw do this move...can anyone take credit for having done it first?  Just curious, probably impossible to say...but indeed its a great move that actually works more than 50% of the time.

Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:52:51 am »
Thanks. To be honest I don't remember where I first saw the jump from Kong's foot.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 10:13:06 am »
but indeed its a great move that actually works more than 50% of the time.

Yeah, this is uncanny. I think it works so well, mainly because of the nature of where fireballs are able to turn around. Dean has said something about how, most the time, fireballs need to go a certain distance before they can turn around again; and that, because of this, the likelihood of jumping them is actually increased in areas -especially at the edge of platforms.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 10:54:30 am »
I actually did that jump move from the platform and not kongs foot out of necessity one time :) Don't recall ever seeing it from someone before I did it but I could have and just didn't think anything about it.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 02:33:43 pm »
Who actually did this first?  Dean was the first person I saw do this move...can anyone take credit for having done it first?  Just curious, probably impossible to say...but indeed its a great move that actually works more than 50% of the time.

I'll help you get to the bottom of this, Mike.

I've used that move on a number of occasions, but I didn't create it.  So you can rule me out.   ;)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 02:47:51 pm »
The first time I saw it done, it was Dean that did it. When it was first discovered as a viable strategy in that situation, it was so unusual he made a clip of it. Now, it's a pretty routine move used by many players that seems to work like 3 out of 4 times.

http://www.twitch.tv/up2ng/c/574998
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 05:44:23 pm »
I wanted to get some reflections and ideas on the video. It is still unfinished and needs some more additions and editing. Please let me know what works, and what doesn't. What should be in there that isn't etc. That would be great.

corey.chambers

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 10:10:35 pm »
Here is the final Youtube version on my Donkey Kong Rivet Training Video: [noembed] [/noembed]Donkey Kong Rivet Training Video I will be doing the other three videos soon. I will be uploading my killscreen game and my best two hammers soon. Very exciting stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:17:21 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Training Videos
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 11:47:27 pm »
Corey, this video is awesome! Honestly, it has most everything that Vince and my expert manual will have in it, but (being a video), it is much more enjoyable to learn from, I'm sure. Great work!

One suggestion I would have would be to make explicit the fact that when you have fireballs still on the right (with all the left rivets removed) that you often need to figure out whether you should go up and get the hammer first, or get the bottom right rivet first (once the bottom hammer has run out). For example, if a total of 3 fireballs are left on the right, and two of them are above you, most the time it is easy to get the bottom right rivet first, then the hammer. However, if there are a total of 3 fireballs on the right and two of them are below you, it might be a waste of time to get the bottom right rivet first. I think this is a significant/useful enough principle that it merits being mentioned explicitly as a general principle a player ought to keep in mind. Again, great video!

Edit: I just looked at the time of your posts. Sorry I got home so late and didn't have time to share this opinion with you before you 'finalized' the video. Maybe you would have wanted to add my suggestion in. If it is too late to add it in, it's not a big deal.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:49:34 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

corey.chambers

Re: Donkey Kong Training Videos
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 12:31:37 am »
I do recall saying in the video that it is safest to get the hammer as soon as possible, but beyond that I don't make it explicit to tell them what to do if they can't immediately grab it, what they would do with their time. At this point I am sure there are some things that could be added to it. I also realized that I could spend a long time on it or if it was sufficient enough to help newer players. I am familiar with what you are saying and I remember making it explicit in my very first Twitch video but for some reason it was changed to what I said initially. When is the expert manual coming out, perhaps if I were to read it I could be more thorough with the other three videos.