Author Topic: TRUTH INCOMING. Please watch....  (Read 4046 times)

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
TRUTH INCOMING. Please watch....
« on: August 08, 2020, 10:12:05 am »
The Mic Drops from Karl Jobst...

And from technician Carlos Pineiro....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:02:25 pm by maximumsteve »
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline johnbart

• Awards
Re: TRUTH INCOMING. Please watch....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 11:17:29 am »
The Karl Jobst link is incomplete. Can you post again or edit?
Member for 10 Years CAGTournaments.com Founder Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 11:21:49 am »
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 01:05:44 am »
I never looked at the Guinness site before this link was posted and was surprised by the number of "marathon" records posted which were little more than someone staying in front of a non-ending title such as "Minecraft" or an MMORPG title where you can hack-and-slash to your heart's content hitting 60 million boars in "Warcraft" just to get into Guinness. Half these so-called "marathon" records are jokes in comparison to, for example, a 2-day marathon at a title like "Robotron".

Wouldn't surprise me if Guinness was willing to track the longest consecutive time playing "Minesweeper" with no more than a 60-second break between games and a one hour break every 12 hours. Seems like for a "nominal fee" they will track any type of record nowadays.

There are records for the most number of people dressed up as (you name it...a smurf, Santa Clause, whatever) at the same time. All these people need to do is each bring a shopping bag filled with a fake rubber Donald Trump mask for ten bucks and set a second record for the most people wearing a Donald Trump mask at the same time...for another "nominal fee". It's a joke.

Millions of gamers across the decades, without even giving a passing thought to Guinness, played at one point or another a favourite RPG or MMORPG, or a newly released franchise title like "Mario 64" when it first came out, for anywhere from 1-3 days straight. These so-called "marathons" that Guinness tracks are not impressive at all....they are just testaments to whoever needed an ego boost and paid them their "nominal fee" for verification.

Honestly I don't know why someone would want to BE in Guinness anymore for video game records...not when they  have the the following text on their site right at this very moment...

High score-gamers: high score records for videogames are not actively monitored by Guinness World Records.

Check it out - https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records/the-application-process/reasons-applications-are-rejected

Member for 8 Years

Offline RTM

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 01:15:19 am »
Regarding that statement I made about most people dressed up as Smurfs...

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-people-dressed-as-smurfs#:~:text=Most%20people%20dressed%20as%20Smurfs%20%7C%20Guinness%20World%20Records

This record is just pointless. The same thousand or more people could in theory accomplish setting 2, 3, 5, even 10 such "most dressed up" records in one day with enough advance planning for each to show up with a bag full of minimal costumes for each different "look".

All that really proves is that a thousand or more people each bought the same articles of clothing or other items and wore them at once. There was a Halloween parade many years back in NYC where about two dozen people were walking in-unison all dressed up as Martha Stewart with a ball-and-chain and holding a baked pie around the time that she was either incarcerated or released from prison. Doesn't make it a "record".

Here's a MOST useful record...furthest distance squirting milk from the corner or your eye. Yep, not the same Guiness as we remember - https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/farthest-milk-squirting-distance
Member for 8 Years

Offline Snowflake

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 09:56:10 pm »
to the classic arcade marathon, george without doubt has the longest tg approved such record, and of course i agree you have to submit to be counted. But john salter is a special grey area with his armor attack which was a  bit longer. There was press covering it, and he live streamed it.  even still its not tg official and therefore not of note to guinness

not here to argue what makes a "real" world record, just sharing potential info of interest

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/04/13/arcade-champion-john-salter-sets-record-for-longest-arcade-single-credit-run-with-armor-attack.aspx#:~:text=John%20Salter%2C%20an%20arcade%20champion%2C%20played%20Armor%20Attack,and%2016%20minutes%20straight%20on%20a%20single%20quarter%2Fcredit.
Member for 7 Years

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 04:16:51 pm »
I watched Karl Jobst?s video from 2 weeks ago and after watching it thought, ?Billy might sue him for this...?.  Flash forward to his latest video.

I?m not tracking this all very well, but has Billy won any of these lawsuits...other than Guinness caving?
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline FBX

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 06:19:53 am »
I watched Karl Jobst?s video from 2 weeks ago and after watching it thought, ?Billy might sue him for this...?.  Flash forward to his latest video.

I?m not tracking this all very well, but has Billy won any of these lawsuits...other than Guinness caving?

Based on Karl's previous video about Guinness, it's far more likely they accepted payment rather than 'caving'. Either way is speculation of course, but if you can pay 15 grand to put pretty much whatever you want in their book, that's something Billy could easily afford.
Member for 3 Years