Author Topic: New (old) returning player - some help with hardware  (Read 2515 times)

Offline DexterHugo

• Awards
New (old) returning player - some help with hardware
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:00:08 pm »
Hi, I've been looking at some different options, from buying a refurbished DK machine or buying a multicade machine that has 5 dozen games on it. I believe I can validate the DK machine by getting pics of the boards in use and comparing those numbers to the numbers I see posted here in the forms, but was curious if the CRT was replaced-how much of a problem would that be for authentication of games? And what would be the big items you would validate when you hear the term "refurbished"?

On the other hand-I'm old and other than trying to set PB, I'm not sure I would really be very competitive. So, I'm considering if I should just buy a multicade machine and enjoy playing a lot of the old classics. However-because I still have those dreams, how do I validate what the multicade software actually is, and how I do I know it matches a great port of the DK, or is it just some random take on it? I don't mind playing a great MAME, but I don't want to waste time on playing something that would be viewed as really lacking compared to the original game.

Thanks for the advice!
Member for 3 Years

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: New (old) returning player - some help with hardware
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 08:26:43 pm »
Hi, I've been looking at some different options, from buying a refurbished DK machine or buying a multicade machine that has 5 dozen games on it. I believe I can validate the DK machine by getting pics of the boards in use and comparing those numbers to the numbers I see posted here in the forms, but was curious if the CRT was replaced-how much of a problem would that be for authentication of games? And what would be the big items you would validate when you hear the term "refurbished"?

On the other hand-I'm old and other than trying to set PB, I'm not sure I would really be very competitive. So, I'm considering if I should just buy a multicade machine and enjoy playing a lot of the old classics. However-because I still have those dreams, how do I validate what the multicade software actually is, and how I do I know it matches a great port of the DK, or is it just some random take on it? I don't mind playing a great MAME, but I don't want to waste time on playing something that would be viewed as really lacking compared to the original game.

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to DKF!

In short, as long as you're using an original PCB with Set 1 roms and a joystick with a 4-way restrictor, you're fine. There is no restriction on the type of monitor, power supply, or the cabinet itself. If you choose to submit a score, you would film the inside of your (potential) cab and beneath the control panel so we can the PCB and the restrictor plate.

In terms of multicades, if you're referring to the old "60-in-1" boards, those are acceptable for submission as long as you have 4-way restrictor installed and provide full video of the gameplay. It would also require a video walkthrough as mentioned above for your first submission. There are a plethora of other multi-games out there, based on different emulators, and so far the only other acceptable versions are the Game ELF and ArcadeSD boards. We have to look at the multi-games on a case-by-case basis, so until we know what you have we can't really say one way or another if it's acceptable.

If you choose the MAME route, then WolfMAME and RetroUprising are your two options.

Regardless of what you choose and whatever scores you achieve, we're happy to have you!

Please read through the List Submission Rules for more detailed info. Looking forward to seeing some scores!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DexterHugo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 08:55:43 pm »
Thank you Xelnia for the reply! As I continue to read/learn about emulators, I just came across a site tonight called diyarcade.com and saw they had a number of 60in1 up to 1500in1 kits. Looking further, I noticed they had a 60in1 Arcade1Up conversion kit. Without considering making a submission, is a setup like that a good setup for re-learning Donkey Kong? Will it be close to the randomness in a real DK machine, or will it be a bad port? I guess I'm really asking, how would I validate that those sets would be as authentic as can be for an emulator, or are all the 60in1 boards standard and good? (I believe from what I seeing, it's a 60in1 JAMMA game board).

Member for 3 Years

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 09:17:03 pm »
Thank you Xelnia for the reply! As I continue to read/learn about emulators, I just came across a site tonight called diyarcade.com and saw they had a number of 60in1 up to 1500in1 kits. Looking further, I noticed they had a 60in1 Arcade1Up conversion kit. Without considering making a submission, is a setup like that a good setup for re-learning Donkey Kong? Will it be close to the randomness in a real DK machine, or will it be a bad port? I guess I'm really asking, how would I validate that those sets would be as authentic as can be for an emulator, or are all the 60in1 boards standard and good? (I believe from what I seeing, it's a 60in1 JAMMA game board).

A quick glance makes me believe that's the "standard" 60-in-1 board...which would be fine for re-learning the game and even submitting a score (provided you have a 4-way restrictor). Most x-in-1/multigame boards are probably fine for re-learning the game. Offhand, I can't think of one that has been reported to be a "bad port"...they're all basically built off the MAME emulator anyway (with a few exceptions). The only way to really tell would be to play them all yourself, and compare with real hardware and game code.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer