Author Topic: Suggested changes to DK recording rules  (Read 12909 times)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Suggested changes to DK recording rules
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 06:54:57 pm »
Chris, I'm not sure who may have not followed the rules, but looking at the arcade top 10, as it was before TG went down. Billy and Steve were already grandfathered in before these crazy rules started, I know Hank does the rules thoroughly, I know I do, I just assume Mark, Shaun, Kyle, Ben, and Eric did based on chatting with some of them, now for the scores in the 800-900K range there may have been some relaxing on it.

But, when Im shooting for a top 5, or maybe even #1, I can't take the risk of not having it recorded correctly. That would suck.

It would be interesting to see one turned down though, especially with it being streamed live also. Hopefully you guys would have my back on the game being real if that ever happened.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »
I do agree with you that the world record would probably be scrutinized a lot more than a simple kill screen and that you should be safe.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:09:39 pm »
Is there a TG ref in the house?!?

Oh wait......

Is there anything you can tell us Steve? Are changes in the DK recording rules in the works?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:11:35 pm by JCHarrist »
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »
If you're rational and you know it clap your hands......

What I know is you have 2 head refs currently on staff both of which have achieved kill screens and therefore know and understand the game as well as being very responsive and involved in the community at large in a very positive way. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:15:45 pm by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

konghusker

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 01:17:53 pm »
I'm with Dave and Vincent on this.  I think hardware should remain dedicated original, with the possible exception to the power supply.  A switching power supply is way easier and cost effective to replace if anything happens.  As for the redundant recordings, they drive me nuts.  At KO2, nobody had to record their games in entirety, and nobody had to let the cycle screen pass before restarting, and yet several players are getting scores verified from ko2.  I would like to see the rules changed to allow the player to turn the machine on, let the boot up screen be shown, begin playing with restarts as needed without cycle screens needed, and if you hit the score you wanted, then open up the machine and continue the original rules from there.  I don't think any kits should be allowed just for the sake of any doubt or argument being made.  I get tired of having to move my arcade machine out from the wall every time just to start playing and have nothing to show for the hassle at the end of the night.  Let us play it, and then open it up if needed at that time.  Hopefully this entire post will be brought to TG's awareness.

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »
Hopefully this entire post will be brought to TG's awareness.

I can assure you that they are already aware of it. ;)
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 02:23:35 pm »
Hey Steve, thanks for the input. Yes, being able to leave the machine against the wall like it's suppose to be would be a pleasant relief. Having my DK machine constantly pulled out on a 45 deg angle in my allready overcrowded garage just so I can open the back before every attempt is just not neccesary. I'd be happy to pull it out afterwards and record all the good stuff with the continuous recording.

In my belief what happened back when they started to allow recordings of DK again was TG had a brainstorming session of how DK should be recorded, and each and every one in that session probably had their own belief on how a machine can be tricked, so they all threw their own safegaurds in the pot and we ended up with what we have. I think the mentality was, when you play DK, (like playing missile command, asteroids, etc) that you  just put a quarter in and that will be the game whe you decide to play it. They weren't considering that the DK attempts for submission could take someone countless tries overs weeks or months, and having numerous restarts. I think the mentality was, if you're good at DK you shouldn't have to do it more than once or twice.

I'm trying to remember the exact time that someone had to put their foot down at TG and say  "no more DK submissions over one million unless a senior ref is present." I forgot what exactly triggered that. And I wish there was a qualified DK player at the time that could have squashed the disbelief that even suggested it. There just wasn't the convincing arguement back to a Dwayne or Tim S, or whoever it was feeding this uneccessary complaints into TG. That was the only way they could shut them up at the time.

Basically all we are trying to do is place the rules back to how it was before all of that unecessary overeaction happened.
Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 06:45:07 pm »
I wish Dwayne hadn't taken down that video where they were all standing around in a room deconstructing Steve's game, and dead wrong on just about every single point.

Of course, the bigger mystery is why he put the video up in the first place! I think Dave also said "why now?" in the CAG thread about it.

What I don't understand is why TG seems (or seemed) to allow a few noisy, cranky naysayers to dictate policy, rather than consensus/community opinion. So because one guy had some ill-educated, unfounded doubt, you have to inconvenience all the players in order to be sure that guy is satisfied?

Having said that, I guess I can see why TG wouldn't want to listen to all the bellyaching from score-doubters...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:56:03 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener