Author Topic: Who's scoring in the 200k-500k range and actively trying to get a KS?  (Read 20941 times)

Offline dknetter

• Awards
Is it just me? Since things around me are in quarantine mode, this seems like a good time to try and play regularly and push toward a KS goal. I can regularly hit 200k, and hit a high of 373k a couple weeks back. These forums seem a bit slow, so just wondering how many other players are of a similar skill level and actively seeking to get to a KS.
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline NWnike

• Awards
Re: Who's scoring in the 200k-500k range and actively trying to get a KS?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:37 pm »
I was at 370k until march 1st when I put up a 631k. Most of my scores still fall between 200k and 400k though. I am determined to get the killscreen. My best game ended on 15-4.
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Kibbey93

• Nibblayyyyyy.
    • Twitch.tv
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:07:06 am »
There's a few players in Aus scoring around that level going for KS at the moment.

shaunanigans88, lsb85, synthchemist.

Possibly some others I'm missing.
DK Masters - Rank D Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 07:48:46 am »
My PB in November 2019 was 555,000.  I'm skipping all the in-between shit and shooting straight for the  killscreen. 

My plan is to beat David there.... <Allen>
"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline M.Schrock

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 11:08:54 am »
My pb is 682k I got that a few weeks back. I usually score between 200-300k.
Member for 7 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Charlie Milne

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 05:57:02 pm »
Howdy,

Im another Aussie in that bracket, usually score somewhere between 200-300k. PB 485,200 I got after KOA3, I was playing a whole lot everyday going for a KS. Not played much at all in 2020 but plan to change that and go again also spurred on by the other Aussies climbing the ranks.
The code screws everyone equally
Member for 4 Years

Offline elbee85

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 04:08:37 pm »
I'm currently going for my first KS. My current PB is 714,500. Had a few 600k games recently, some 500k games and a hell of a lot of 300-400k games. I was streaming my attempts but I find that to be too stressful/distracting deeper in the game. I've also personally found the higher 550-600k games are draining after you die due to it feeling so much like "The KS Game". It's disheartening when you feel so close but then you die. I do wish to make the KS in the future but for my own sanity my official goal currently is to reach 600k as much as possible. My logic behind this is I find attempting to reach a score I've hit before more than once less mentally taxing then going for a PB/KS. Also odds are if you're hitting over 500-600k regularly then a KS is around the corner. My first tallied 600k game was on 26 March. I'm about to play a but load today so I think I'll get close to another 600k.
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 07:14:51 pm »
My PB in November 2019 was 555,000.  I'm skipping all the in-between shit and shooting straight for the  killscreen. 

My plan is to beat David there.... <Allen>

Gary, (you will have to imagine my accent as Marko from Tropoja) "Good luck."
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 12:26:11 pm »
I'm glad to see there's a small group of folks in this skill/score range actively trying for the KS! I felt a little bit like a fraud asking about 200k-500k range players since I only had one score in the 300k range, so put together a game today that skipped the 400s all together for a PB of 539k and level 15-6. I had a great 1st man...getting all the way to 12-6, and could have survived that screen too after successfully doing the left jump by Kong's left foot to escape. But I was so shocked and flustered that I actually pulled off that move, having never done it before in game or practice, that I missed a chance to immediately go for the lower hammer when I could have.

The last few days I've been just focusing on barrel levels...simply replaying a 5+ barrel level again and again and again, trying to get my consistency higher. Even though it "feels" like I can pass the level consistently, if I play 100 times in a row while tracking my success, I'm actually only passing the level around 80ish percent of the time. After lots of replays, I'm feeling like I can recognize patterns and trouble spots a bit more now. Maybe today's game shows some progress there, as I had only one dumb barrel death that could have been avoided.

I found an old TG thread where it seemed the thought was that after you break into the 500s a few times, a KS starts becoming a reasonable possibility. I'm hoping for that to be the case...after my first man, my confidence in actually being capable of doing it in the near future is much higher. I like the idea of just trying to hit a score/level vs thinking KS each game, and think there may be a psychological advantage to that approach.

Anyway, good luck to everyone ITT...maybe we can use this thread to update on our progress, share tips, etc.?
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 12:11:50 pm »
Well I just managed to skip the 400s again, scoring about 519k I think. I feel like I've worked out lots of the dumb death stuff, and could potentially spike a KS if I have a really good game.

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 04:43:32 am »
I'm currently going for my first KS. My current PB is 714,500. Had a few 600k games recently, some 500k games and a hell of a lot of 300-400k games. I was streaming my attempts but I find that to be too stressful/distracting deeper in the game. I've also personally found the higher 550-600k games are draining after you die due to it feeling so much like "The KS Game". It's disheartening when you feel so close but then you die. I do wish to make the KS in the future but for my own sanity my official goal currently is to reach 600k as much as possible. My logic behind this is I find attempting to reach a score I've hit before more than once less mentally taxing then going for a PB/KS. Also odds are if you're hitting over 500-600k regularly then a KS is around the corner. My first tallied 600k game was on 26 March. I'm about to play a but load today so I think I'll get close to another 600k.

Good logic on the score. The more you crave a KS, the less you'll get there. I was guilty of it, and when I slowed down, I made it. I'd also recommend skipping all prizes on the pies and elevators to minimize risk. Sometimes skipping that umbrella on pies allows you to beat a fireball dashing right.
Member for 4 Years DK Killscreener

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 11:26:12 am »

Good logic on the score. The more you crave a KS, the less you'll get there. I was guilty of it, and when I slowed down, I made it. I'd also recommend skipping all prizes on the pies and elevators to minimize risk. Sometimes skipping that umbrella on pies allows you to beat a fireball dashing right.

Yeah, I'm also looking to skip that umbrella on pies if the fireball seems to be b-lining it for the right hand side. I'm currently just trying to work  on being more consistent, primarily on barrel and pie levels. I'm always doing something dumb on pies when I don't get a free pass - like forgetting to look where Kong is for the sudden shift in direction on the conveyor, or getting too close to a fireball that suddenly drops or runs at me. On barrels, I feel like I can pass the level like 90+ percent of the time...the problem is, that's not nearly consistent enough! So if anyone has tips on just how to stay consistent during longer games, that'd be interesting to hear.

DonkeyShlong - shouldn't you have the L-22 badge now? Looks like your score is official...maybe someone forgot to hook you up with that?

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 12:41:33 pm »

Yeah, I'm also looking to skip that umbrella on pies if the fireball seems to be b-lining it for the right hand side. I'm currently just trying to work  on being more consistent, primarily on barrel and pie levels. I'm always doing something dumb on pies when I don't get a free pass - like forgetting to look where Kong is for the sudden shift in direction on the conveyor, or getting too close to a fireball that suddenly drops or runs at me. On barrels, I feel like I can pass the level like 90+ percent of the time...the problem is, that's not nearly consistent enough! So if anyone has tips on just how to stay consistent during longer games, that'd be interesting to hear.

DonkeyShlong - shouldn't you have the L-22 badge now? Looks like your score is official...maybe someone forgot to hook you up with that?

To be honest I didn't notice but thanks for the shout. I'll drop him a pm when I get a sec.  :)

Do you do any streaming? Happy to pop in and offer any help where I can.

As for not messing up in long games, for many, it's just nerves. I suggest covering your score with a bit of paper.

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 03:20:08 pm »
The reason I notice the lack of the badge is because aside from home schooling the kids, earning it myself is about the only other sense of accomplishment I hope this zombie apocalypse makes possible during my temporary (hopefully) unemployment. I know that once achieved, I will have earned the respect of...well...almost nobody irl. My kids will think it's kind of cool though, and my wife will think it's cool that I don't feel the need to play DK as much after that.

I thought about trying to stream, but haven't done anything but open a twitch account yet. I'm wondering if, as someone else itt suggested, it might feel like to much pressure at that point. I definitely already struggle with distractions around the home too, and might be tempted to get distracted by any chatter going on. I thought after I hit a couple of 500k+ games, I'd be able to keep cranking those out once in a while until I hit the KS. I haven't even hit the 400s since though, and the 300k games since have been feeling pretty long!

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 03:35:25 pm »
The reason I notice the lack of the badge is because aside from home schooling the kids, earning it myself is about the only other sense of accomplishment I hope this zombie apocalypse makes possible during my temporary (hopefully) unemployment. I know that once achieved, I will have earned the respect of...well...almost nobody irl. My kids will think it's kind of cool though, and my wife will think it's cool that I don't feel the need to play DK as much after that.

I thought about trying to stream, but haven't done anything but open a twitch account yet. I'm wondering if, as someone else itt suggested, it might feel like to much pressure at that point. I definitely already struggle with distractions around the home too, and might be tempted to get distracted by any chatter going on. I thought after I hit a couple of 500k+ games, I'd be able to keep cranking those out once in a while until I hit the KS. I haven't even hit the 400s since though, and the 300k games since have been feeling pretty long!

Keep at it dude. Have you tried watching a podcast when playing? Joe Rogans stuff always kept the time going fast for me as they're usually a few hours long. That way, if you fail a KS, it doesn't then feel like wasted time as you've been entertained at the same time.