Author Topic: MAME (wolfmame?) exploit?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline dknetter

• Awards
MAME (wolfmame?) exploit?
« on: March 23, 2020, 05:58:35 pm »
I've been running DK on Wolfmame 0.106, as I understood this was the only acceptable version. Are all newer versions of Wolfmame acceptable as well?

When playing within a window (vs full screen) and resizing that window, the game play pauses. So if I click the edge of the window and hold down the mouse key, I could pause and take as long of a break as I wanted. Is this a known issue, or something that is detectable somehow? Upon testing this and playing it back, the pause is not apparent. Obviously this may have implications beyond DK.
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline NWnike

• Awards
Re: MAME (wolfmame?) exploit?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:46:52 pm »
One of the rules of submission is that your recorded game speed must be at least 90% and that no intentionally altering the game speed is allowed. Whenever you adjust the window that you are referring to, the game play speed drops, therefore this is not a way to beat wolfmame.
Have a score on every DK3 track Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:32:40 pm »
When I hit F11 during playback of a test INP file where I've done this, the listed recorded speed remains at 100% even during the portion where I've "paused" the game by selecting and holding the edge of the window. Is there some other recorded speed that is being looked at upon review of submitted games?
Member for 4 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Flobeamer1922

• Elite Member
    • My YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 09:46:48 pm »
That's the same recording speed that's examined when reviewing a WolfMAME INP. Also, newer versions of WolfMAME are allowed.
PBs:
Donkey Kong - 1,032,100 (22-1)
Donkey Kong Junior - 79,400 (4-2)
Donkey Kong 3 - 344,200 (Stage 22)
Crazy Kong Part II - 645,400 (22-4)

I occasionally stream here: https://www.twitch.tv/flobeamer1922
Member for 6 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 09:49:36 pm »
That's the same recording speed that's examined when reviewing a WolfMAME INP. Also, newer versions of WolfMAME are allowed.

If that is the same recording speed examined when when reviewing the INP submissions, this seems to be a legit problem. Can anyone else record/playback a test to verify what I'm seeing on my system? Again, running WolfMAME 0.106 and I'm on Windows 10.

Online xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:25:27 pm »
1) This is a known feature/bug.
2) It's detectable.
3) Any version of WolfMAME is acceptable, as long as it's version 106 or newer.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dknetter

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:19 am »
2) It's detectable.

Thanks for confirming...I would have been surprised if I discovered something new here. I'm glad it's actually detectable somehow, because as I said the F11 record speed stayed at 100% when I watched through the parts I paused as a test. Perhaps the way of detecting is kept a bit secret so people don't look for a way to work around that?

Or is there some other way of reading the record speed, or of playing back INP files in general that I'm not aware of? When I playback a game to review deaths, I can only hit F10 to switch from normal to fast playback, but no pause, slow motion, rewind, etc. Maybe I'm missing some playback features?

Offline JasonV91

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:37:47 pm »
0.106?  FailFish

:)
Former DK3 World Record Holder Member for 5 Years DK3 World Record Holder Have a score on every DK3 track DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline francoisadt

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 04:18:57 am »
2) It's detectable.

Thanks for confirming...I would have been surprised if I discovered something new here. I'm glad it's actually detectable somehow, because as I said the F11 record speed stayed at 100% when I watched through the parts I paused as a test. Perhaps the way of detecting is kept a bit secret so people don't look for a way to work around that?

Or is there some other way of reading the record speed, or of playing back INP files in general that I'm not aware of? When I playback a game to review deaths, I can only hit F10 to switch from normal to fast playback, but no pause, slow motion, rewind, etc. Maybe I'm missing some playback features?

Mame experts like Xelnia (and on the MARP Forum i.e. Barry Roodeveld) will know, but there is a way (and tool) to analyze the .INP if any other keys than navigation were pressed like a PAUSE key and the time it was executed.

Member for 10 Years