Author Topic: Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Engine Remake  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Ostrich101

• I'm a Ostrich, what more do you expect?
    • Awards
Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Engine Remake
« on: February 14, 2020, 05:32:57 am »
So a few days ago I was really wanting to make a remake of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in a sorta bundle fangame, but after thinking about it for a bit, I thought that maybe I can make it into a engine for people to learn from and possible use to make their own Donkey Kong/Mario Bros. fangames.

While there have been a lot of main series Mario related engines, I haven't seen that many for the other games like the arcade ones, which is odd.

A user named Wes Copeland (former world record holder of Donkey Kong) attempted to make a remake of Donkey Kong's engine for use as a template, but he stopped progress on it 2 years ago, so I guess my engine will be filling it's place. (or not)

I want to mention that this isn't the first time I've done a remake of a Donkey Kong related thing. Last year I particepated in a Joke Game contest on the Mario Fan Games Galaxy, and my submission was a remix of Donkey Kong '94 (the game boy game). It's a bit buggy, but I'm (mostly) proud of how it turned out.
Video of someone playing it:
Anywho, here are some .GIFs of the engine:

(a small error with one of the barrels in this gif has been quickly fixed)
Member for 5 Years Blogger

Offline Ohrami

• games video
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Engine Remake
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:26:03 am »
I've never played Mario Bros. but the Donkey Kong one needs a lot of work since it looks nothing like real gameplay
Donkey Kong high score: 863,200 L=22-1 (MAME)
twitch.tv/donkyousu
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener

Offline Ostrich101

• I'm a Ostrich, what more do you expect?
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:28:29 pm »
I've never played Mario Bros. but the Donkey Kong one needs a lot of work since it looks nothing like real gameplay
Could you please elaborate on how exactly the Donkey Kong one is needing work?
Member for 5 Years Blogger

Offline Kibbey93

• Nibblayyyyyy.
    • Twitch.tv
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:59:50 pm »
Could you please elaborate on how exactly the Donkey Kong one is needing work?

Initial observations. The jump animation is too fast; Jumpman climbing ladders is too slow and animations are off; and the barrels 'turning' onto a ladder and rolling down them is too slow.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:14:59 pm by Kibbey93 »
DK Masters - Rank D Member for 9 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer