Author Topic: Yolympics 2020  (Read 35803 times)

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Re: Yolympics 2020
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 05:21:26 pm »
Nominations are CLOSED!

Voting is OPEN!!

Yolympics 2020 Voting form
Current voting tally

• Various games didn't make the list due a number of reasons
  • Maximum of 3 votes per era. If you submit more, all of your votes will be removed and you'll have to resubmit
  • Due to the overwhelming number of vertical shmups nominated, genres will be restricted per era where necessary to ensure the games list is as diverse as possible. This will happen once we have an idea of what games have the most votes
  • Voting will be open until the start of the draft. The draft will likely be around the weekend of the 24th January
  • If you aren't registered for the tournament your votes will be removed

PLEASE keep re-voting to a minimum. If you NEED to revote for whatever reason, please ping me on Discord first

I'm not familiar with every single game nominated so there could be a few in the list that have problems recording in WolfMAME 0.183. Please let me know if you come across anything

Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 05:44:14 pm »
Why was Pac-land removed? I would have nominated it but it was already.
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »
Why was Pac-land removed? I would have nominated it but it was already.

Pac-Land wasn't nominated as far as I can tell
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DaLar

• __________________________________________________
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 06:24:47 pm »

Nominating will close this Sunday night (undetermined time), the link to vote will be posted at this time

Was trying to choose some noms,, but "Sunday night" is a relative term I guess :)
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 07:31:40 pm »

Nominating will close this Sunday night (undetermined time), the link to vote will be posted at this time

Was trying to choose some noms,, but "Sunday night" is a relative term I guess :)

Err, yeah my bad. Saturday night but sunday here. Got my words mixed up.

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2020, 10:04:21 pm »
Just curious why a longer timeframe past 2019 (or wider list of non-Yolo tournaments included) for banned games has seemingly never been considered?
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2020, 10:07:34 pm »
Just curious why a longer timeframe past 2019 (or wider list of non-Yolo tournaments included) for banned games has seemingly never been considered?

Actually a couple of us were talking about this recently and will definitely be considered for future tournaments
A year was considered enough but now that we've had a few of these things the list does grow quite stale

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 03:39:06 pm »
This definitely deserves a bump.  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline The Pro

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 05:55:14 pm »
In terms of future suggestions, I'd say make the vote results invisible, other than the amount of responses received. At a certain point people will just vote for games that have a chance of winning based on current results. No point in voting for the game with only a couple votes since it will never win, even though it's the game you want to play. Closed results mean people vote for what they like best regardless of what other people did.
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 07:10:44 pm »
Agreed, there's really no point in even voting unless you're very early and can maybe entice people to pick your preferred game as well or it's right against the deadline and you can vote/revote to push the best of the front-running options over the line.
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 09:34:46 pm »
Yeah I agree with this, something to think about for next time :)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2020, 02:35:06 pm »
Something else that might help, especially if we start banning all the better-known games, would be to give everybody a cheat sheet that they can pick games from for nominations. People can only nominate what they know, so popular stuff gets nominated over and over.

I'm thinking like a Google sheet that lists all 3,000-odd arcade games (no clones), with the genre (which can be pulled from category.ini for MAME), and the year of release, and people can browse through that for ideas.

In fact, I volunteer for list duty (I've got me some kick-ass game lists), but I guess that will be for next time.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2020, 11:41:39 am »
I personally use KLOV year-by-year listings to make noms for different time periods. I'd be lost without it.
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »
Draft, Voting & Registration announcement

The draft will take place Saturday 25th @ 2pm CST at www.twitch.tv/CaptainJivePants

VOTING AND TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE AT THIS TIME - 25/01 @ 2pm CST

The final games list and settings won't be determined until sometime Monday evening (late sunday night in the US) since I'm away Friday until Monday morning

Remember if you haven't registered for the tournament, you cannot vote!

Register here
Yolympics 2020 Voting form
Current voting tally

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2020, 05:20:03 pm »