Author Topic: Submission idea  (Read 4317 times)

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
Submission idea
« on: November 15, 2019, 03:46:29 am »
Hi all.

Has anyone else ever found the first 30mins of playing tedious?  I've been playing quite a bit recently (with what time I have spare with family life!), and I get so bored of doing the first ~30mins of play to around 200k.  Especially so when I'm tired and have to attempt a few 'starts' to get going.  I find that the time I have spare at night just seems to disappear if I have a few dodgy starts.

I was thinking, if you have previously had multiple scores verified way beyond 200k, would it be acceptable to have an approved savestate allowing play to continue on from say level 05?  My idea was to submit an initial savestate that has been played by yourself, then verified via INP submission in WolfMAME, to confirm you have got there yourself with all men intact.

The idea might get shot down by the purists, but I've began to fall out of love a little with the game, but really enjoy it once i'm deep in.  Thoughts guys..?  <popcorn>
Member for 4 Years DK Killscreener

Offline dollopuss

• Awards
Re: Submission idea
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:13:59 am »
I think it's fair to say most people don't like grinding L1 to L4. If the whole game was L5+, it wouldn't be the same game. The grind up to L5 is integral to factually say "I kill screened Donkey Kong" since those levels are still very difficult to survive.
Member for 5 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:55:42 am »
The first 4 levels are an international disgrace.

The grind really is what it says, having to start over again and again gets tiresome and why some have walked away including myself - although I do intend to smash 1M before I set the cab on fire.

Keep grinding sir, we need a few more decent scores to come out of the UK.

Edit - I don't use MAME so have no idea what that's all about.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:57:44 am by Jonesy »
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline SithOfSpades

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 07:00:03 am »
I don't think scores created like this should be included in the current high score list. I like having the list be games that could have been done in an arcade on one quarter, and not spliced together. Endurance is a part of it, and those early levels are draining.

If you can convince enough people to want to submit and play like this, then go for it. If you do this, I don't know why you wouldn't grandfather in the current high score list. I will be surprised if you get a ton of support or if the powers that be at DKF want to maintain another DK high score list that doesn't get a ton of interest.

I often find L1-4 tedious and frustrating. However, it takes what it takes.
Member for 5 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline GILLYKONG

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 07:23:06 am »
Horrible idea. Grind it out like the rest of us. If your worried about playing a half-hour. You're in for trouble playing almost 3 hrs. Gain the endurance. Short cuts dont work.
Member for 8 Years DK Remix Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Remix World Record Holder DKJR Remix Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline SithOfSpades

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:43:00 am »
As a quick note, there is a mode on the switch that allows for pausing and some degree of save point creation. I forget exactly what the mode is called, but you can create a save point and then if you close the app during a game, it will revert to that save point. That mode has a tracked leader board. I think the high score on that board is like 1.5 million done by a forum member. That might be a way to play that you enjoy better.
Member for 5 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 02:06:23 am »
As a quick note, there is a mode on the switch that allows for pausing and some degree of save point creation. I forget exactly what the mode is called, but you can create a save point and then if you close the app during a game, it will revert to that save point. That mode has a tracked leader board. I think the high score on that board is like 1.5 million done by a forum member. That might be a way to play that you enjoy better.

That sounds great! I think for now though, I'm going to do what I proposed and if it's not accepted, then so be it. I've got to 300k with all lives in tact last night and saved it. I'll try running some games now and hopefully can get there whilst recording.

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 02:18:40 am »
The first 4 levels are an international disgrace.

The grind really is what it says, having to start over again and again gets tiresome and why some have walked away including myself - although I do intend to smash 1M before I set the cab on fire.

Keep grinding sir, we need a few more decent scores to come out of the UK.

Edit - I don't use MAME so have no idea what that's all about.

Cheers for the encouraging words. Like I said, I enjoy the game once I get deep into one, but I'm not sure I can be one of those players that plays it for years. I've got interest in a few other online games where I find more enjoyment, in a party with mates and quite casual playing.

I've broken into the top 200 with a verified INP within one month of playing, which I'm quite proud of! My scores are just always a few hundred k lower than when I'm relaxed without recording. Some guys feed off pressure, I choke  ;D

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 02:22:06 am »
Thanks for replies all. Perhaps I'm just hitting a bit of a flat spot. I'll come back to it after a break  :)

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 03:20:04 pm »
This might be good for practice games, but this kind of submission won't fly for our HSL.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer