Author Topic: Sometimes My Donkey Kong Doesn't Register The 100 Points When Jumping A Barrell?  (Read 12555 times)

Offline Ronnie S.

• Awards
Anyone know why?  Just picked up my TKG-4 unit on Saturday and have been enjoying it immensely.  But sometimes I notice that when I jump a barrel it doesn't give me the 100 points.  Anyone know why?

Thanks!
Member for 4 Years

Offline fippi

• Awards
It may be as simple as it not registering a right or left input. Have you checked your microswitches to ensure that they're working properly?

Alternatively, you may be missing the input window when jumping! More info:

Ok, I'm going to finish this thread if it kills me!

Claiming Points

The way that the game of Donkey Kong determines how many points you have scored when you jump over an object is somewhat flawed.  Originally through careful observation and then later through code analysis, the algorithm by with the game awards points has been precisely determined.

This is how it works.  At the peak of Jumpman's jump, the game looks at a specific area under you (horizontally and vertically) to determine which objects are under you at that moment.  The game then assumes that you have jumped over these objects (and ONLY these objects!).  If the player is standing still and keeps the joystick neutral and simply presses the jump button, the game will check an area that includes just 5 pixels to the left and 5 pixels to the right of Jumpman's position for objects.  However, if the player is holding the joystick to the LEFT or the RIGHT at the peak of the jump, the game assumes that Jumpman is performing a running jump and will check an area that includes 19 pixels to the left and 19 pixels to the right of Jumpman's position for objects!

Because of this limitation, it is not uncommon for a player to jump over a barrel and not be awarded any points!  The reason is because the barrel has passed outside of this small scoring zone at the peak of Jumpman's jump.  Another common observation is that the player jumps over a group of two barrels, which should award 300 points, but the player only receives 100 points.  Again, this is because one of the two barrels is outside the scoring zone when the game is checking for object and awarding points.

The key to exploiting this algorithm and "claiming" your points is realizing that the game does not actually know if you are performing a standing jump or a running jump AND it does not actually know if the objects that it finds in your proximity have been jumped over or not!  Therefore, although it's somewhat awkward and counterintuitive at first, players should always press and hold to the right or to the left after jumping, regardless of whether they are performing a standing jump or a running jump!

When watching an expert play Donkey Kong, you will see that they perform lots of standing jumps during play.  What's a lot less clear from watching the gameplay is that this player is virtually always pressing and holding to the right or to the left immediately after performing all of these standing jumps.  Actively doing this on purpose throughout your gameplay is considered "claiming your points", because it's an extra (and somewhat awkward) action that the player must take that will increase his chances of scoring points.

Once a player understands how to claim their points while jumping and realizes that points are awarded based on their corresponding proximity to objects at a certain moment rather than whether or not the players has actually successfully jumped over an object, that player can now begin searching for additional and more creative ways to score "proximity points" when they have not even jumped over the object!  Many techniques which take advantage of this have become known as "leeching" an object (not to be confused with points leeching tactics on other games which consist of continuing to score points without ever advancing the game).  Leeching objects might be considered as an advanced technique and so is somewhat beyond the scope of this thread, but the idea is that you can score points from barrels that are moving down ladders, fireballs that move away from you, pies that move away from you, falling springs and even Donkey Kong's foot among many other possibilities WITHOUT actually jumping over these objects!  This is done with the same technique of "claiming" your points by pressing to the left or to the right at the peak of Jumpman's jump while in close proximity to these other objects.

Concentrate on actively claiming your points during gameplay and watch your scores increase!
Member for 4 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline Ronnie S.

• Awards
Thank you!  Yes the micro switches are mint so I think I?m
Missing that window.  Great article I?m gonna try pressing right or left when jumping straight up tonight. 
Member for 4 Years

Offline NWnike

• Awards
It may seem odd at first but it will become second nature to claim points while you are playing. Just be careful not to steer barrels in your path by accident!
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Ronnie S.

• Awards
Perfect! Just turned it on and practiced a little.  Got all the points every time jumping the barrels either pushing left or right when jumping.  Great trick I never knew about pushing left or right while jumping straight up.  Makes sense though cuz I knew that trick on the rivets board jumping next to DK's foot. :-)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:47:14 am by Ronnie S. »
Member for 4 Years

Offline Ronnie S.

• Awards
Now if I could just get past my joystick jamming up.  Sometimes it get's hung up when i move left or right and I have to kind of force it to go that way.
Member for 4 Years

Offline Gettysburg1863

• Awards
Now if I could just get past my joystick jamming up.  Sometimes it get's hung up when i move left or right and I have to kind of force it to go that way.
Check through this:
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
It's even possible to jump 3 barrels and get nothing - https://clips.twitch.tv/PrettiestBoxyDinosaurTBCheesePull

Well, possible for some people.
 <Allen>
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Ronnie S.

• Awards
LOL!  Love it!  That guy is hilarious!
Member for 4 Years

Offline Ronnie S.

• Awards
Check through this:
Thank you!
Member for 4 Years