Author Topic: Rom hack: Donkey Kong Reverse  (Read 6567 times)

Offline PaulGoes

• Just started playing the game
    • Awards
Rom hack: Donkey Kong Reverse
« on: August 28, 2019, 01:49:39 pm »
Always wanted to know how it would be to play Donkey Kong in reverse???

It is now possible with the rom hack Donkey Kong Reverse.

In Donkey Kong Reverse, jumpman starts the barrels stage, conveyors stage and elevators stage at the top of the screen and has to grab Pauline's heart at the bottom:

- Imaging running down the girders while being chased by the barrels behind you in the barrels stage.
- Or trying to evade the bouncing springs while trying to ascend the top ladder in the elevator stage.
- Or trying not to be grabbed by Donkey Kong at the top conveyor in the conveyor stage.

And in the rivets stage, instead of unplugging the rivets, jumpman has to plug them back in. Instead of the tactic in which you try to lock the firefoxes at one side of the screen, they are already locked when they spawn. And by plugging the rivets in, you free them and enable them to start roaming the screen.

Donkey Kong Reverse: https://github.com/PaulGoes/DonkeyKongReverse/raw/master/dkong.zip

Besides the reversed gameplay I've tried to keep the game as close to the original as possible. However, to increase the gameplay, I had to make the following adjustments:

- In the barrels stage, barrels do not disappear when they roll off the edge of a girder lower than jumpman's position.

- In the elevators stage, the first bouncing spring starts immediately instead of waiting a few seconds.

- In the conveyors stage, jumpman is able to walk on the top conveyor belt and dies when he touches Donkey Kong.

- In the conveyors stage, firefoxes spawn from the oil can at the side opposite to jumpman and are more freely roaming.

- In the rivets stage the end of level animation no longer displays collapsing girders.

- In all stages it is a little easier to jump fireballs/firefoxes: they do not change direction when jumpman jumps them.

Hope you enjoy this rom hack.

Member for 5 Years

Offline BaadBeats

• Awards
Re: Rom hack: Donkey Kong Reverse
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 04:32:20 pm »
Wow! Very cool!  <gasp>
Member for 6 Years

Offline Mitch Mitchell

• Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 06:51:46 pm »
This is surprisingly awesome WOW
VS Duck Hunt - 3,502,900
DK - 985,400
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 07:42:40 pm »
ok played it for a while and first impressions.

1. Definetly unique.
2. I notice how you cant jump at the top of the barrel stage.
3. Its hard to get used to if you are a DK player. The "reverse" rivets messes with you at first.
4. The elevator/spring board requires undoing everything you know but once i figured it out was once again the simplest board in the whole game :D
5. Jumping fireballs is a lot easier but they freeze an abnormal time now.
6. Dont forget to steer barrels "Away" from you.
7. Overall pretty fun I may actually try for a "killscreen" of this who knows? :)

Overall cool job it was different and will mess with your head the first 15-30 minutes.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline Robert

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:49:39 am »
Very nice, thanks. :)

Member for 5 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 11:19:30 am »
Hi Danman,

Great to hear that you like it.

In a reply to your impressions.

It is possible to jump when jumpman is at the uppermost girder in the barrels stage. However, it is not possible to jump at jumpman's start position (next to the platform where Pauline stands). This is as designed. Initially I positioned jumpman at the platform where Pauline stands. Although this platform is displayed as a horizontal platform, the game considers it as a tilted girder. The effect was that jumpman couldn't walk this platform: he was gradually submerging into the platform. I tested  various solutions to solve this, and the best was to create the gap between Pauline's platform and jumpman's start position. To prevent jumpman from still getting onto Pauline's platform, I had to disable jumping at jumpman's start position. This is implemented the same for the barrels stage, conveyors stage and elevators stage.

This was one of the adjustments I had to make because jumpman was now able to go in places that were not possible in the orginal arcade game. Another example is in the conveyors stage. Jumpman is now able to walk the uppermost conveyor (the one where Donkey Kong stands). It is possible to go down at the right side of the screen and then go up at the left side and enter the uppermost conveyor left of Donkey Kong. It is then possible to climb the two ladders left of Pauline's platform (the ones that Donkey Kong uses at the end of the stage when he picks up Pauline and leaves the stage). This was a problem because jumpman kept climbing also leaving the screen. To prevent this I had to implement a height check and prevent jumpman from climbing any higher (see attached image).

I agree with your impression that the rivets stage messes with you at first. I had the same. It was very counter intuitive to jump the rivet gaps to fill them. I kept walking into the gaps ... with a lost live as a result.

Member for 5 Years

Offline Mitch Mitchell

• Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 12:18:30 pm »
Impressive hack, i cant wait to play it.
VS Duck Hunt - 3,502,900
DK - 985,400
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline PrincessMonacoOfKent

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 09:35:38 am »
Really really like this, only thing I'm not so keen on is having to jump to "lay" the rivets rather than just walking across.
Member for 4 Years

dwayne

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 04:38:08 pm »
That's funny

Offline elskippo

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 05:20:44 am »
Here's a tailored marquee to complement it.
This one was a no brainer...  :D
Member for 6 Years

Offline PaulGoes

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 12:02:46 am »
Great to hear that you like the game. Also like the marquee.

The Donkey Kong Reverse and Donkey Kong Crazy Barrels Edition rom-hacks are now supported by Homebrew Mame (HBMAme) and  Libretro FB Neo (lr-fbneo).

I have uplodaded the corresponding roms (dkongrev.zip and dkcbarrels.zip) to the GitHub pages of the rom-hacks.
Member for 5 Years