Author Topic: How exactly do I clean a Donkey Kong CPO and joystick?  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Redghost357

• Looking everywhere for a DK in this death valley
    • Awards
How exactly do I clean a Donkey Kong CPO and joystick?
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:43:58 pm »
So I've tried looking allover for a guide on the exact details to lubing a Donkey Kong joystick, the closest thing I saw was on the Mikesarcade page for Nintendo joysticks but even then the instructions are insufficient. So according to the image can I literally spray grease allover the base of the joystick and 4-way gate? Or do I need to disassemble everything first? Is it fine to spray grease with the dust plate and the microswitches in the way? Is this a 3 minute job by just doing a few sprays by simply lifting the panel or is it a 1 hour job by getting the toolbox out and unscrewing everything?

I've been letting my control panel sit now for about a year with zero maintenance, also how do I clean the rest of the CPO on top? How do I clean the buttons?

Lastly what's the best lubricant to buy, I bought a can of white lithium grease but according to this page now I'm regretting the purchase and having second thoughts:

"For anything that has rubber in it, I wouldn't use white lithium grease. White lithium grease may contain petroleum distillates, which will eat away/form a chemical reaction with your rubber parts."

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=276185
Anyone know where to find a DK in eastern WA? Looking everywhere in this death valley of ours that I call Yukima Valley.

As quoted from The King of Kong: A Fistfull Of Quarters:

Pro 27:17  Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
Member for 6 Years

Offline mrchrister

• Awards
Re: How exactly do I clean a Donkey Kong CPO and joystick?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 10:58:28 pm »
Here's a video that helped me a lot:

Canadian Arcade: How to restore a Nintendo joystick

Member for 5 Years

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 03:13:08 pm »
You can do what you suggest, but it will make a mess and probably not the best option.

Yes, disassembly and taking the time to do it right is the best way to go.  It will take about 40 minutes, maybe a little longer if you have a ton of gunk caked up in the pivot ball area.

What I do is disassemble everything, then use the shaft to rotate the pivot ball while pouring small amounts of isopropyl alcohol into the pivot ball area.  This will loosen up any built up gunk in there and hopefully break it free.  Alternate that with doing the same thing - rotating the ball with the shaft - but using compressed air to blow into the pivot ball area.

You can wipe down/clean the shaft, spring, stopper and other parts that are likely to have old lube (and gunk) on them with the ipa also.

Once your sure you've got it completely cleaned out and ready for some new grease, there's a couple options.  Some folks prefer your standard 3-in-1 oil - just a drop or two.

You can use white lithium grease as well.  It's only going onto the pivot ball, and into the area where it rotates.  Small amounts.  It should never touch anything plastic if you apply just enough to lube the pivot ball.  There is no rubber on a DK joystick....?

I personally prefer shin etsu.  https://www.focusattack.com/shin-etsu-g-40m-silicone-grease-100g/  https://www.focusattack.com/shin-etsu-g-40m-silicone-grease-100g/  Used this on both of my cabs, the last time I serviced each stick.  Don't remember how long ago that was, but at least a year ago, and they're both still performing like butter.  I had used 3-in-oil previously, and found it didn't last.  The sticks started getting clunky again after about 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline MaximRecoil

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:50:21 am »
Assuming it's an original Nintendo joystick, completely disassemble it and clean the ball and socket. The easiest way to do that is to submerge the base in a solvent and let it soak overnight (make sure it's just the base, which is all steel). The cheapest solvent you can get for that purpose is probably gasoline, which costs less for a gallon than most solvents cost for a pint or less. After it has soaked, use a toothbrush, Q-tips, pipe cleaners, or whatever, along with some more solvent (I'd use something that's also a degreaser like alcohol at this point, to get rid of the oily gasoline residue), to clean out that socket to the point that you could eat off of it. Once the ball and socket are truly clean, the joystick will operate slick as a smelt, even without lubrication.

For lubrication, I use 3M 08897 dry-type silicone spray. It doesn't harm plastics or rubber and its lubricating effect lasts for a long time. Also, because the carrier dries leaving behind the silicone lubricant, it isn't a dust/dirt magnet like wet lubricants are. Plus it has no viscosity. The viscosity of fluids such as oil, and especially grease, can make the joystick feel sluggish. Since there's practically zero load or sustained speed applied to the pivot ball during normal operation, grease is entirely unnecessary. It's not as if it's a wheel bearing in a car.

As a bonus, a spray can with a straw makes it very easy to re-lubricate it down the road without having to disassemble it again.
Member for 4 Years

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 02:46:38 pm »
the joystick will operate slick as a smelt

Having cleaning many many buckets of smelt in my youth... they are very slick!

The rest is good advice too. Clean and use the lightest lube you got. Gonna get me some of this stuff.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline MaximRecoil

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 04:32:08 pm »
Having cleaning many many buckets of smelt in my youth... they are very slick!

Indeed they are. Another thing that makes a Nintendo joystick feel smoother is to replace the factory 4-way restrictor plate with a new reproduction one. The factory ones are cast or stamped and rather crude, while the new reproduction ones are machined on a waterjet cutter (at least the ones I have were). I originally bought one for a spare joystick that was missing its original, but I liked it so much that I bought another one to replace the factory one on my main joystick. When sliding along the inside edge of the restrictor to quickly go from left or right to up or down it is as smooth as greased glass; definitely an upgrade over the factory one.

Edit: I took a couple of pictures to show the difference between a factory original (top picture) and reproduction (bottom picture) restrictor plate:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:59:57 pm by MaximRecoil »
Member for 4 Years