Author Topic: In the 20s Donkey Kong record progression will slow down  (Read 2886 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
In the 20s Donkey Kong record progression will slow down
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:57:37 pm »
For the past two decades Donkey Kong has been the king of the hill in regards to how many times the record was broken.  That's about to change in the next decade.
Donkey Kong can only go so much higher, and the effort to do so may simply not be worth it anymore. If I am not mistaken the record has been broken about 15 times on the arcade side.
I'd be shocked if the record is broken more than five times in the 20s.
Basically the record is more and more dependent on luck than ever before.  It's not enough to play the game to near perfection using every hardcore technique.  Now you have to have the ever elusive super lucky game.
Because of this I predict another arcade game to take top spot in number of times a record is broken for the 20s.
I really can see Galaga having the record broken more times during this decade.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
Re: In the 20s Donkey Kong record progression will slow down
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 03:00:17 pm »
Yeah George, luck. Way to discredit Serphy, his skill, dedication and time spent.  You still talk about DK like you actually know what you're talking about, just like your 1.2M theories a few years back...    Maybe your dream will come true and DK3 will finally heat up and pay your royalties. Lol. Another gem of a thread to keep you on top of the thread count statistics...
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 03:31:59 pm »
Hmm, huh?  How am I discrediting him?  You got things twisted.  To play to near perfection when the game gives you the rare opportunity to do so is amazing.  A person needs to be clutch to pull that off.
If anything it's worthy of great praise.

So again, near perfection is not enough.  A person needs to be near perfection when the RNG rolls your way.  That's much harder to do. 

Edit: Just to make it clear.  I think McCurdy's score is the greatest score in all of Arcade/MAME gaming.
I think Robbie Lakeman's score is the greatest score in arcade gaming by a person not named McCurdy.  I think Wes Copeland's score is the best score in Arcade/MAME gaming by a person not named McCurdy or Lakeman.  I think Saglio's score is the greatest score in Arcade/MAME gaming by a person not named McCurdy, Lakeman, Copeland
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:47:54 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 05:22:59 pm »
I think I understand what you're saying Riley, but it doesn't really follow.

John just broke the world record by 9500 with a 1600 point death and zero 70k levels, and has shown that he can play at 1.25 pace whenever he wants. I don't think any of that means that we won't see any progression in the record in the next 10 years. Our biggest risk to that right now is John getting bored and moving on to some other activity before anyone else with the drive to push the limits even further starts their grind.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:16:56 pm by dnickolas »
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer