Author Topic: DeWobbler  (Read 2409 times)

bh

DeWobbler
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:31:36 pm »
I've noticed a lot of noise in direct feed streams, likely the result of crummy power regulation and 40 year old capacitors. To make streams look nicer I've built the DeWobbler. It's a switchable bank of capacitors (0.1uF-470uF) that you can either clip across the leads of the A1 capacitor on a DK video board or between +5v and GND. Maybe it'll improve your direct feed set up, maybe it won't. Please note that this is a polarized device. Connecting it backward will cause it to explode.

I'm not selling the DeWobbler because it would be a waste of my time, but I am releasing it as open hardware. If you know how to use a soldering iron you can build the DeWobbler. You can order boards from OSH Park. I don't make any money off this.

Bill of Materials
DIP switches (link)
470uF electrolytic cap, radial, 8mm
220uF electrolytic cap, radial, 5mm
150uF electrolytic cap, radial, 5mm
47uF electrolytic cap, radial, 5mm
10uF ceramic cap
4.7uF ceramic cap
1uF ceramic cap
0.1uF ceramic cap
Two mini-grabbers
18-22ga wire

FAQ
Q. How should I use this?
A. Clip it across the leads of the A1 capacitor on your video board. Throw the dip switches to enable the caps. The big capacitors should smooth out low frequency noise ("wobbles") and the little ones should filter high frequency noise ("jitters").

Q. My CRT looks fine, why does my direct feed look all wobbly?
A. Your CRT has a big electron gun that's firing electrons at a screen door as it scans back and forth line by line. Noise isn't going to cause the electron beam to jump up and down.

Q. It didn't work.
A. Sorry that you're out $5.

Q. It exploded.
A. You plugged it in backwards.

Q. Why are you using a bunch of capacitors in parallel? This is equivalent to using one big capacitor.
A. Real life capacitors are non-ideal.

Q. Will this impact gameplay?
A. No.

Q. Will this improve my RNG?
A. No.

Q. How will this improve my RNG?
A. No.

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: DeWobbler
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:23:29 am »
Ha, this is rad.  I just got my Mr. Video setup going, and noticed the noise and general (albeit slight) waviness in the image persists, as it was with my jrok-based direct feed setup and every capture device I had ever used with that setup.  So....many...projects.....

Great work!
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer