Author Topic: Can the pies be point pressed?  (Read 3292 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Can the pies be point pressed?
« on: March 22, 2019, 11:44:14 am »
Something just occurred to me.  I've noticed that when the top players have already used the hammer, and all five fireballs are on top, and there is 5000 still on the timer that they still sprint to the left to get to the next level.  But it seems like people can actually point press the pies.

So my question becomes.  Why aren't they point pressing the pies?  From what I've seen it seems possible to get more points by doing this.  I mean if people are going to top shelf I don't see why people don't go for the pie press. 

Of course I am a novice to them, but am I missing something?
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Can the pies be point pressed?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:01:14 pm »
Aside from the hammer, your only options are to leech the pies or leech the oil can. In the case of pies, you will likely lose any profit from leeching while you're waiting for the next pie to spawn. In the case of the oil can, you probably lose too much time repositioning after each jump for it to be profitable, but I haven't tested it. Even if you don't, you're going to lose a bunch of time trying to finish the level after leeching... probably enough to offset whatever profit you made.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 01:54:44 pm »
I tried some save states.  I now understand why they don't do it.  Point pressing from the top is easier, and yes, you can get points from the flame without jumping over it, but it's still not enough.  You always are at least 500 points behind.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:49:44 pm »
I gave this a go a couple years back using save states and found it far too difficult and risky. That particular board just isn't PP friendly. 

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 04:57:27 pm »
I tried some save states.  I now understand why they don't do it.

For next time: test, then thread.  Kappa
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 05:19:05 pm »
It could be possible on L3 since the timer is still slow.

The fireball spawns are staggered so you'd need some luck with the first 3 going up. Get prizes and then point press on the left side until the 4th is ready to spawn (spawn him on the right then dart back, hoping he stays up on the conveyor).

Probably a few different methods but fireballs need to go up quickly regardless so you have a shot at it
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 Have a score on every DK3 track DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 06:21:10 pm »
If you know you’re waiting for a ladder to go back up grabbing a couple hundred in the mean time makes sense. That’s why they go up the middle ladder on the left and jump some stuff on the way in certain cases.

Pie pressing, other than using hammers, is an opportunistic thing.

And if the fireballs all already went up and right, and you are still in the middle, I’d assert that if you practiced more you’d end up with a hundred extra by pressing the can and waiting for a pie to spawn to jump over on the way to a “ready to inmediately go up” ladder.
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer