Author Topic: What type of joystick do MAME players use?  (Read 10740 times)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: What type of joystick do MAME players use?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 04:33:53 pm »
Chris P has best control panel imo
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 06:06:50 pm »
Absolutely.  Not being "boxed" into a particular manufacturer was a "Priority" of his.

Chris P has best control panel imo
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 06:11:06 pm »
Feast thine eyes.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 07:04:29 pm »
ChrisP: As a Rural Letter Carrier I do have to admire your choice of panel! ;)

Krehztim: When you say circular restrictor, do you mean it prevents the joystick from being centered? I am actually looking for a way to play 720 which needs that circular motion.

Jerky: Your setup is insane! I would love to have those but I fear I will have to a little smaller and possibly lose some of the stability because the wife would think I was cuckoo for having that sitting beside my computer. I am looking for a good track ball to play Centipede and Missile Command with so I may actually try to install one like you did.

Thanks for all these ideas guys. This is what I needed to know!

and Hooch, I did setup the software to recognize the 4 way movements. The problem is my controller is so easy to move from just right to right/up and Jumpman stops. The main thing that is giving me issues is getting on/off ladders.
Have a score on every DK3 track Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline krehztim

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 09:49:52 pm »
Never used it, but would allow complete unimpeded circular motion, about an inch in diameter
Donkey Kong (US Set 1) - 542,800
Donkey Kong Start - 111,100
Crazy Kong Pt II - 590,800 (KS)
Member for 8 Years Blogger CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 02:44:52 pm »
That is closer to what I am looking for but 720 cabinet had a stick that only went in a circle around the circumference. It was literally impossible to just move from east to west or north to south. I never saw the joystick setup but it has to be a circular track. If you never played 720 it is a skateboard game and the circular motion allowed you to do spins in the air.

"Skate or Die!"

Online CraigT

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »
I use an Xbox 360 controller. It works perfectly fine when it’s working. But lately, it keeps losing a few of the mapped commands when I start my PC and I have to set them up again. It’s always plugged in. What’s worse is that it now occasionally stops working when I’m in the middle of a game. Unplugging and plugging back into a different port usually fixes it. The other thing is that the slightest movement when playing causes beeping from the PC and flashing Xbox home button on the controller, which makes me paranoid.

I think I’ll order a new one and hopefully it will be as stable as this one was when I first got it.
Winner of a community event Member for 5 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline RonMarsh

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 08:43:22 am »
Here are the controller I've been using for 10 years on my cab, never had a problem at all ... 4 and 8 way. Here is a link.
http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html
Member for 5 Years

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 02:54:46 pm »
Damn Ron! I love that! Can you play any other games on it or is it dedicated for DK now?

Offline RonMarsh

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 04:45:30 pm »
Thanks !!! Any game you want, I added the side controllers for the long screen games like defender, frenzy etc!!!! I've been stuck on playing Donkey Kong spooky most of my time.... Love the work that went into it, I'm running mame so I can't get the DK JR remix that I would love to try!!!
Member for 5 Years

Offline bradtech519

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 07:06:42 am »
I play on my desktop computer & use Wolfmame. 

joystick:
"Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT-SK OEM Green Ball Handle Arcade Joystick 4 & 8 Way Adjustable (Mad Catz SF4 Tournament Joystick Compatible)"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027Z7L5I/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Restrictor Plate for 4-way:
"Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate for JLF Joysticks"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AU0H4U/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buttons to replace stock Mayflash:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8897M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mayflash F300 that sits on my desk:
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-F300-Arcade-Joystick-SWITCH/dp/B019MFPLC0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mayflash+f300&qid=1552917949&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I find this setup great to play on. 
Member for 5 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline VeryApe121

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 08:04:41 am »
Although I don't play with it as much anymore since I have a cabinet, I picked up a Madcatz fight stick for xbox 360 (really cheap).  I believe it already had the joystick swapped to a Sanwa because there is a 4-way plate in it.  I've used it on PC and on the Nintendo Switch, with an adapter.  It isn't the greatest, but it does work. 
"GET SLAMMED NERD" - Ape Jr
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Online CraigT

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 10:54:16 pm »
What kind of Xbox controller were you using? I got my replacement Xbox 360 controller recently, and it completely fixed the connection problem I described before, but now I occasionally get the problem you’ve been having with it not responding to commands. It’s rare but has killed some good games I had going. I might try using my PS3 or PS4 dpad if necessary. It would take some getting used to. Hopefully it’s not harder to use.

The strange thing is, I never had this problem with the old 360 controller which had much looser sticks by the time I started playing DK, just the problem of losing connection completely which seemed to be getting worse.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:13:38 pm by CraigT »
Winner of a community event Member for 5 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK Masters - Rank D DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline Nitelite

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 04:15:20 am »
I use the Razer Panthera EVO arcade stick.
Member for 5 Years

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 02:36:37 pm »
Nitelite, do you have a 4 way restrictor in it?