Author Topic: Four barrels of death  (Read 6871 times)

Offline naujoks

• Awards
Four barrels of death
« on: March 08, 2019, 03:40:08 am »
Is there any strategy that enables you to deal with (or avoid) 3 or even 4 unjumpable barrels on girder 4? I imagine past Level 5 this is easier to do with directing the barrels, but what about the lower levels?
DK Arcade
PB & KS 854,500
Member for 5 Years DK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Four barrels of death
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:34:19 am »
There are two ways.  First is the going up the broken ladder to avoid them.  The other way is the chance of doing a wall jump if you have the ability to.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline naujoks

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:46:17 am »
Almost invariably, when I'm waiting on a broken ladder for the barrels to pass, another one will drop down the ladder on my head.
I will consider the wall jump option.
How come I never see those 3 or 4 barrels situations occurring when I watch the master play? Even during live sessions it never seems to happen.
DK Arcade
PB & KS 854,500

Offline dollopuss

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 06:20:28 am »
How come I never see those 3 or 4 barrels situations occurring when I watch the master play? Even during live sessions it never seems to happen.

Oh it happens once in a while when barrels don't steer down the ladders you want them to go down. Which is the main key: usually steering barrels down ladders, with good timing, to tightly group barrels together for 300 and 500 point jumps. Instead of having them group loosely making for much harder timed jumps over them. Like homerwannabee suggested, going up the broken ladder, wall jumping, or even going down a ladder to try to steer oncoming barrels down the middle ladder can save you.
Member for 5 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 07:57:11 am »
Or you can install a Zoo Keeper jump button on your Donkey Kong control panel.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline SithOfSpades

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:23:10 am »
Almost invariably, when I'm waiting on a broken ladder for the barrels to pass, another one will drop down the ladder on my head.
I will consider the wall jump option.

You see them, but they are probably more rare because the master is actively adopting strategies to have them not come up. I am by no means a master, but when it happens to me, it is usually a series of multiple failed steers followed by 1 or more undesired auto-steers. Being ready for those combinations is why better players often linger right when they get to the 4th girder. Only once they get some clearer looking stuff up above them (usually by grouping some of the barrels and getting a steer down the broken ladder between 4 and 5) do they proceed left toward the ladders you can climb. This is because having one of those combos form on the 4th girder when you are near the ladders to the 5th girder is going to kill you for sure.
Member for 5 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline dnickolas

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 01:25:22 pm »
5 replies and no mention of a staal loop? Not typically ideal, or even good, but it’s definitely another available tactic.
Member for 7 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline naujoks

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 01:46:41 pm »
Staal loop?
DK Arcade
PB & KS 854,500

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 02:22:50 pm »
Staal Loop: climbing down to the third girder to avoid a nasty setup coming your way on the fourth girder. (It's called that because Allen uses it more than anybody).

It can also be employed at totally unnecessary times after you hit 500K and start nervously burping.
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener